Calruins Source Map Music?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Honestly, I pictured islesofdread2 when I heard this. I think it's worthy of being used, but I wouldn't assign it tocalruin2.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually started composing yesterday. You'll be hearing more, probably. Honestly, I just made it with the dark feeling of cal ruins as inspiration.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I would rather see arrangements of lanethans tunes than see a brand new, completely unrelated piece of music take its place.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Nice sound, but tbh this doesn't seem to fit calruin that much imo. Sounds more like a jungle ambience sound, where you are sent to investigate a deserted place, then get ambushed by some evils and a sudden change of ambience sound to something dramatic where you are forced to run away or are being raped in the dark, etc etc. :oldlol:

Look at a maps similiar to islesofdread2, i think it fits it better, if map introductions were made better... It's the perfect place to use a sound like that trust me.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ty for the input!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dunno if anyone would be interested in recomposing some of the Dan "Lanethan" Bruington music for MSS. I think I have some MIDI sources for some of the stuff laying about - could be converted to sheet music, or just re-rendered.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It might be possible.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright, if ye have the software for it, here's the original MIDI sources for pretty much all the original music in MSC:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/ms_midi.rar

There's quite a bit of original work that isn't Dan's, but I dunno how much of it we have source materials for (none here, would need to make an effort to contact the original authors). That's not counting all the not-so-original music in the MSC/music folder, of course, but it'd be interesting to see some of Lanethan's work survive into the next generation, at least.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Should add that, while everything Lanethan made is top notch quality, a lot of it is a bit slow and melodic, and one shouldn't find ones self being lulled to sleep while killing things, IMO.

It'd be kind of nice if they could be recomposed into more action oriented sequences, especially if you could work up a dynamic client side music system for battles vs. lulls, while keeping the all too familiar melodies. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't realize how difficult that would be. Sadly, I've not composed anything in decades, and my two good synths are 800 miles away in my ex's apartment. I'm not even sure how I'd even go about hooking the ancient craptastic one I have left to me to my current system - plus hunting down the proper software again.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
You would need FLstudios and audacity and you'd be set. Thanks dawg!

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Should add that, while everything Lanethan made is top notch quality, a lot of it is a bit slow and melodic, and one shouldn't find ones self being lulled to sleep while killing things, IMO.

It'd be kind of nice if they could be recomposed into more action oriented sequences, especially if you could work up a dynamic client side music system for battles vs. lulls, while keeping the all too familiar melodies. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't realize how difficult that would be. Sadly, I've not composed anything in decades, and my two good synths are 800 miles away in my ex's apartment. I'm not even sure how I'd even go about hooking the ancient craptastic one I have left to me to my current system - plus hunting down the proper software again.
Well, not everything Lanethan did was top notch *cough*herasinside*cough*

I dont know about MSS, but there are a lot of old, unused lanethan midis that I have plans to remake and use, and some of these I'll need to make sooner rather than later since I'll need them for the underkeep (progress is still going steady, fyi). Among these will be at least one of the two msBattle.mid songs. Hopefully they will satiate your need for action music, at least for a little while.