Detailtexture release

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Welp, they're done.

http://www.filefront.com/16992163/MSC_Detail_Final.rar

Same as before, extract to your msc folder and set r_detailtextures 1 in console. If you plan to put this in the betapack thothie, set the autoexec to automatically do it.

Few notes:
-Missing maps (left out due to being rarely played)
-PVP maps
-MS quest series
-unrest2
-island
-orcplace2_beta
-nightmare_thornlands (more because I forgot instead of omission)

-Issues with textures
-There are probably still a few scaling errors or general ugliness going on but the thing I'm most concerned about is the style of the snow (viewable on lodagond-1 and ms_snow etc.) If enough people don't like the more clumpy snow instead of the flat snow I'll revert it. There's probably a few other stylistic choices people won't like, so you guys can voice your opinions but don't fall to straight bitching about tiny things.

-Mappers
-If you have a map you don't want detailtextures in just post it and it'll be removed. I've updated Replica's textures on wicardoven too, so if he wants his old ones back I'll swap them too.
-If you want to learn how to add detailtextures to your own maps, here's a tutorial (http://www.twhl.co.za/tutorial.php?id=159) For implementation in MS:C, just look at other detail files to see how it's done. I've included a master_detail.txt in your maps folder which designates a detailtexture from my "tl_" ones for 99% of the textures ingame. I'd suggest sticking to the "tl_" textures because they are all pretty high quality and also have been extensively tested. If nothing else, test your map repeatedly because these things can be a bitch to get looking right!

Final Picture:
1zqug0k.gif

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
anyone got before after pics? i dont notice much of a difference

oh wow nvm sorry didnt see it was animated at first. pretty cool guys.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
-nightmare_thornlands (more because I forgot instead of omission)
Nightmare Thornlands may eff with you anyways, due to it using the same texture names as Thornlands. :/ (It just swaps wad files - it's entirely a ripent job, actually.)

Got this integrated into the next installer. May see about making r_detailtextures default to 1.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
First off, awesome job! Been using these since the first of your releases with just edana and thornlands, and to have this in so many maps is incredible!

Thothie said:
Got this integrated into the next installer. May see about making r_detailtextures default to 1.

I think this should be an option in the installer, with a warning about severe performance reduction. Chiefly because I hear of so many MS:C players having such bad computers this is one of the few games they can still play.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Great job, Glorfindel! Looks awesome! :D

Also, isn't MS:C more demanding than most source games?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Awesome Glor, keep up the good work! Seriously very cool!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
I think this should be an option in the installer, with a warning about severe performance reduction. Chiefly because I hear of so many MS:C players having such bad computers this is one of the few games they can still play.

It'll be optional, just thinking of having it default on instead of off... Maybe toss it into the SCR, along with the bloom mod, so you can toggle it with the GUI options->advanced panel. No real easy way to setup the option in the installer itself though.

Jelly said:
Also, isn't MS:C more demanding than most source games?

For playing, only if you have a fsked up gfx card and/or OS that can't do real OpenGL and has to emulate it (especially if said emulation sucks). Graphically, it's doing a lot less than any Source game.

CPU wise however, especially for running servers, MSC is meaner than nearly anything I've seen (save maybe Dragon Age).

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
My digital lifestyle™ has been enhanced! Everything looks really crisp now, great job!

One weird thing though (not related to the actual textures):
MS:C is ignoring my autoexec.cfg... I put r_detailtextures "1" in there (and also my RCON password) but whenever I'd start a server, detail textures would be disabled. I fixed this by adding the variable to userconfig.cfg.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Something I noticed is that door textures look weird, they look more detailed but some parts of it like the doorknob and some metal thingies on it not so quite.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Not much I can do about that, since all the doors in the game are a single texture, applying a wood texture to that door means the doorknobs are gonna be wood too. Some various problems i've encountered too:

-demontemple only has a few sparse textures working, must be an error in the .txt file
-the sail of the marogar orc ship on oceancrossing has a clumpy snow texture on it, it looks funny but it also looks strangely good too, i dunno

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
These detail textures are all sorts of fucked up for me. Am I the only person have problems with them?

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I've been playing a lot with them on and I've noticed no real problems.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
The detail textures don't seem to work in keledrosprelude2, even though there's a detail file and even though I have r_detailtextures set to "1"... Is anybody else having this problem?

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, yes. Mine haven't been showing up in the map either :?

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
i fixed demontemple and keledrosprelude, and sent the new files to thoth for the betapack