Hexen, Heretic, etc

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
When I just started herping around with a computer at the age of 8 I installed Hexen, which I got from my 18 year old cousin.
I was too scared to move to the next room. Srsly. I could not walk out of the spawn-room.

Nowadays I could try it out again, as I did with Duke Nukem 3D. But I'm too lazy to get used to the no-mouse FPS.
Tell me there is a mouse-mod and ill instantly play it :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya can use a mouse to control it by default, though the mouse controls both movement and horizontal aiming - which is a bit weird, but it's really effective once you get used to it (right click to strafe). Same with Duke 3d, Doom, and all the other games on that old engine. (This has been true since their inception.)

My ex used to kick my ass with her mouse in Doom deathmatch via a serial cable, until I trained myself to use it, back in the 90's.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
hexen is always felt like some kind of doom mod to me. however hexen II adds a ton of features. not to mention it has some nice rpg elements to it.

Everquest

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea I just retroed this thread from the dead. 8) Although to be honest it was like five threads from the top of the first page...

So anyway that and Star Fox64 were the first two games I bought for the N64. It was also my first experiece to a rumble pak and I want to say a memory card. As I recall the games were a bit more expensive due to the cartridges compared to their peers.

Hexen (I am not sure which one it was... I want to say it had more than one game and or expansions in the one cartridge) I thought had a good concept, but I did not like the graphics. I would get severe headaches to the point of wanting to puke if played for too long and I am not sure why. (I think it has to do with the frames per second or "sway" of the game, not the colors/lights like an epileptic.) Only certain games do it, while a few may make me feel "off". But most thankfully do not have any ill affect on me and I am speaking about FPSs in general.

I also did not like the way a statue always faced you no matter how you looked at it. As in it was never to the side or back, even if you circled it. Of course perhaps by that time I had been ruined by other better looking games, but I doubt it, since I am a retro fan. I just never liked the game. Also maybe it was just a bad port...

But I always enjoyed The Oregon Trail myself... :D. I usually chose the farmer or carpenter. The banker seemed too weak in comparison and money seemed to go way too fast.