Linux Server

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know i know, there's already a thread about it being way to much work to put together a linux server, and me being curious like i am, i had a few questions. (i'm not whining or begging, just curious)

What exactly is involved in making it linux-compatible? Alot of programs just need to be compiled differently, but are based off the same source. now obviously, if it was that easy we'd have a linux server...

Has anyone tried running it in wine? before i go waste all my time trying it...

I was looking into getting a server host, so we could have a nice, 12-person, lag-free server, but it seems that almost all of them run linux, which, for obvious reasons, won't work. so... yeah.

-HobbitG

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!!:

it seems like it might run under wine. i don't get the weird error when trying to launch it with the linux server, and it actually starts up and connects to the valve servers. I can input commands, and get a result from the "status" command. however, i'm at school and they block the ports, so basically i can't check to see if i can connect. anyways, i hope it turns out.

-HobbitG

EDIT: added periods to make paragraph readable.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well...

The program is *barely* Windows compatible (It, apparently, isn't even yet Vista compatible.) The odds of it working with a system like WINE are... well... not good. But if you can pull it of, be sure to tell us how ya did it. ;)

As for recompiling to allow you to run a Linux dedicated server (which would be oh-so-nice), this would be WAaaaay beyond anything I can do - but if you know anyone who has experience converting HLSDK based code from Winders to Linux, point them at me. I'll see if I can talk Lord K into handing the code to them.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It works in wine. server starts, listed in valve server list, can connect and play. not sure yet what would happen during a normal crash (2 players on transition, the memory de-alloc error)

If only i knew more people with programming skills :p, i'm the one my friends come to for help, and i don't know much about cross-platform type stuff other than java, which just works.

it was my understanding that all that had to be done to make it linux-compatable was target the executable for the linux environment, and the compiler does the rest, i didn't think any code had to be changed. i may be wrong though. take a look at this: http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/linux_compiling.html
and this: http://hosted.planethalflife.gamespy.com/tuxportal/comptut.shtml