MasterSword: Continued mapping - Skybox info

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
MasterSword: Continued has quite some interesting skyboxes. I did some research on the pitch/yaw values, light source locations, and ideal light color/brightness of all these skyboxes. I triple-checked the information and tested everything in-game.

First, some information about skyboxes. Hammer has a strange orientation system, as you may have noticed. In the top (x/y) view, the right side of the screen is 0°, the top of the screen is 90°, the left side of the screen is 180°, and the bottom of the screen is 270°. The following two pictures should make clear how every skybox wraps around a map:

skybox_ahammer.png
Every new point-based entity you create will be oriented in the direction marked by the orange arrow, which is 0°.

thumb_alegend.png
This picture illustrates how the six skybox images (bk, dn, ft, lf, rt, up) connect with each other.
(click to enlarge)

Without further ado, the skyboxes:
(all of them can be clicked to enlarge)

thumb_arcd.png

thumb_arcn.png

thumb_ax_darkclouds_.png

thumb_blyysky.png

thumb_castle_m.png

thumb_cavern.png

thumb_city1.png

thumb_cx.png

thumb_damager.png

thumb_dashnight256_.png

thumb_dawng.png

thumb_desdusk.png

thumb_desert1.png

thumb_desert2.png

thumb_forest.png

thumb_frozen_.png

thumb_frozendusk_.png

thumb_fullmoon.png

thumb_g_morning.png

thumb_ghetto.png

thumb_green.png

thumb_grnplsnt.png

thumb_jungle.png

thumb_LMmnts_1.png

thumb_morningdew.png

thumb_nature1.png

thumb_nitaly.png

thumb_null_hill256_.png

thumb_null_lake256_.png

thumb_riverscape1.png

thumb_snow.png

thumb_snowcliff_.png

thumb_nm_snowcliff_.png

thumb_space.png

thumb_sunset02.png

thumb_tornsky.png

thumb_TrainYard.png

thumb_tropical.png

thumb_tropical2.png

thumb_volare.png

thumb_winter.png

thumb_xt_deheat.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Should stick in images of the HL1 skys too, since they are also available.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I suspect the Xen ones could be quite useful, paticularly if you wanted to do an elemental plane thing (or just had one room with sky you teleported the players to). The only straight-out one I see, would be the city skyline... Lest you like that old D&D dungeon 'City of the Gods'. ;)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
*drools... and rabidly scratches self in disbelief of such beautiful skyboxes*
Awesome....

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought the same. I never really realized that there were such beatiful skyboxes in this game, used and unused.

I mean, just look at the "volare" skybox. I think that's used in the dangerous pass, or in the ruins of Keledros. Awesome skybox.

Tao

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Woah :eek:

But in the map they seem to be not very detailed.

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
There is a very simple reason for this. Goldsource skyboxes consist out of six seamless images of 256x256 pixels. What you are looking at are the "back", "right", "front" and "left" images next to each other. I didn't include the "top" and "bottom" images because that would make each image alot higher.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: you are looking at the exact, full size of the skyboxes. Yes, the images actually are just that big. However, in-game they get scaled to a much bigger size. No matter how big your map is, the skybox always seems far, far away. Making an image so much bigger causes it to blur out. And that is what causes the crappy look.

In Source, skybox images can be up to 1024x1024 pixels. Not to mention you can also create a 3D skybox in Source.

So the Goldsource limitation of 256x256 pixel skybox images is the cause for the low quality in-game.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Skyboxes also seem to dither to some odd 256 color palette - or at least they do on my system - I may have fubarbed something that's causing this.

Most people who make new maps seem to be releasing them with custom sky textures, the quality of which do not measure up to those of HL1 nor those included with MSC. They also take up a lot of extra space, and add immensely to the data the client has to download when connecting to a server. So be sure to look through these, carefully, before considering adding extra stuff for your players to download.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
It is very easy to make quality skyboxes for Goldsource using a nice program called Terragen. I'll have to write a tutorial on that sometime.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Yes, you should do that... it would be nice to have more maps for MSC (and other mods) where you can look up without hurting your eyes from poor quality skyboxes...

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I can't remember where I ninja'd all the skyboxes I have from, but here are a few of the better ones from my collection.

skybox1cz6.png

skybox2mt7.png

skybox3up0.png

skybox4wt6.png

skybox5sh4.png

skybox6av0.png

skybox7fi9.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yaz gonna link does, or do we hafta chop them up into TGA's? :)

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
hehe

heres a link to every skybox in the folder i have.

theres a good chance there are some in there that msc already has, i didnt take the time to look cuz im lazy ^ 10

Linky

in case you didnt know, the tga files are the only ones you worry about. copy them into your /msc/gfx/env folder

i think

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Wow dude, thanks! I'll have to reinstall Photoshop CS2 to update this topic someday... I haven't even added the snowy skyboxes from the frozen summit and the nightmare thornlands yet... >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
heh, Nightmare_Thornlands is just a photoshoped bit of ms_snow a bunch of goofie skulls in the sky. ;)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Can I get a download link to the fullmoon skybox? I don't have it in my gfx/env folder.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmm... What map did that come with? :\

I've no idea, it's not in my client folder, but it IS on my server, so:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev2/fullmoon.rar

If you use that, you'll have to add it to your .res file, as it is apparently non-vanilla. Tis a lot of extra DL for loading clients, so ye may be better off with " ax_darkclouds " or " LMmnts ".

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Wow, someone actually used the information in this thread :oldshock:
It's been a while.

I don't know which map came with "fullmoon", but I do know that I just installed MS: C v1.0, all the custom maps from thothie.com/ms and the betapack and voila, there it is.

This topic is outdated too, by the way. Perhaps I'll reinstall Photoshop CS2 someday and add the "snow", "snowcliff_" and "nm_snowcliff_" skyboxes.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't know which map came with "fullmoon", but I do know that I just installed MS: C v1.0, all the custom maps from thothie.com/ms and the betapack and voila, there it is.

Not in the raw MSC install, nor the betapack, gotta be a custom map... And one my current client hasn't been to... Hrmmm...

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Nashalrath will use some of the original hl1 skyboxes(if the map gets cut up in parts as we are discussing) else just one

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
So I downloaded some of the custom map archives from your website, and apparently "fullmoon" comes with World Walker part one. It's in ww_preview.zip (along with "green") and apparently you haven't been there :p