Media Contest 2014: The Day of Judgement

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MAPS

The Flooded Mines (Submitted by Regorty)

• Likelihood to ever be completed (-200 to +200): +200 pts
- Kinda cheatin' here, as it's already in the alphapack, but I'll give it the max. Coulda used more treasure spots, but I can only assume Reg only ever intended the one.
• Playability (-100 to +100): +50 pts
- It works, though there's some serious balancing issues here and there (crazy multipliers making for insta-kill sonic bats and the like). Fixed most of them myself, before its submission to the contest, thus they aren't in the current iteration, so I shouldn't dock it extra for them, I suppose. Nothing terribly special and there's a few "trollolol" moments, but it's good, if straight forward, fun, with some exploration and cheese on the side. Plus it's huge.
• Performance (-75 to +75): +70 pts
- No FPS issues to speak of. Some of the water may have been better trimmed, but fairly negligible.
• Aesthetics (-50 to +50): +0 pts
- Not bad, not great... Nothing wrong with it, and the fact that it's mostly caves and mines limits things a bit (ya guys need to play with mystic underground ruins more). I actually have a hard time deciding which of the MSC maps demonstrates our average for appearance, but if I had to pick one now, this would be it. It's certainly much better looking than mscave or Gertenheld_Caves, but that's not saying much. I know Reg has much prettier maps, but the environmental concept here limited him a bit, I suppose.

Bonuses
• +10 pts (custom music, provided by OysterHippopotami)

Slightly tempted to disqualify it on the basis that I'm basically still guessing it's fmines, and not some other map, despite requests for confirmation - can't really tell from the dark submitted images.

Total Score: 330

Underkeep (Submitted by OysterHippopotami)

• Likelihood to ever be completed (-200 to +200): +50 pts
- Brushwork/lighting done. Some placeholders. Hard to score this though, as despite requests, I can get no details as to what it requires to be completed beyond "some quest NPCs". Also no efforts in the extra two weeks provided to even attempt to script or provide placeholders, or even dialogue, despite requests, or I woulda given it +175. From the silence, I can only assume the answers to these questions would not be in its favor.
• Playability (-100 to +100): +20 pts
- Can't really score the playability for most of the map due to lack of completeness - those bits I can discern look alright though, so I wont dock it. There's enough places to explore to give it some extra points.
• Performance (-75 to +75): +35 pts
- Has some minor poly issues here and there, but it's mostly a town map, so I'm going to be gentler to it than I would be to a heavy combat map.
• Aesthetics (-50 to +50): +30 pts
- It's pretty... Prettiest bits are still by Crow, but certainly can't hold that against the map, and the additions aren't bad either.

Bonuses
• +50 pts (custom music x5, provided by OysterHippopotami)
• +70 pts (14 custom prop models, mostly via Turbosquid.)
• +75 pts (Lore/Concept map)
- Technically a quasi-Lore map, as Underkeep was added to the lore due to Crow having created it back in MS 1.3, but Underkeep certainly qualifies for the bonus.

Fairly lovely attempt at a long awaited map. Just wish I had some clue as to how much longer it'll be awaited.

Total Score: 330

-----------

Which makes the winn... Wait... Sh*t.

(Flips coin)

Underkeep by OysterHippopotami!

tumblr_nd5ayvfIgb1si99xno1_500.gif

Gawds... There's still other categories aren't there? Really? I'm the only judge for all of this? Come on! Anyone can judge music! Meh... Hold on, I was working on the patch.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
foamguygif.gif

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Really? No other judges?
For the maps, after looking at the community venom, the responses among the developers ran the gambit from, "Not qualified" and "Can't play test", to "I ain't touching that hornet's nest with a 50 foot pole!" (except with more words liable to be converted to asterisks by the forum.)

Dunno why no one wants to do music, but meh. I'm not even a real good choice for music, as I'm old, and only like Siouxsie.

But alas... Suppose this stuff is "classic" enough that it won't be a factor.

MUSIC

Calcifer's Entries:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53147566/Caves.wav
- This is a wave... Someone didn't read the submission rules I guess, so meh.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/531 ... geyman.mp3
- This r not bad. I think ya need a new renderer, and some more layers to make your treble to... What is the kids call it these days? "Drop!" a bit smoother.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53147566/ooooo.mp3
- Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more. (Ow....)

Ya got some potential here. Think with some better software and more experience ya could make some really good stuff - and boogeyman is certainly usable.

Oysters Entries:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq3h22zy2fcq0 ... k.mp3?dl=0
- FUUUUUUuuuuuuuu...
- Okay, this is damned good. It's also almost too short to use though. Our music system makes one-shot intro musics a tad difficult to apply, so it has limited uses. Still, damn.
- (BTW, and I know I've told ya this before, you could save me a lot of trouble if ya nixed the ?dl=0 from your dropbox URL's.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5kwde2al41qd ... k.mp3?dl=0
- Well... This is... Weird. Lovely, but, weird.
- Also very very good, composition wise, but I'm not seeing a lot of applications for it. Granted, Underkeep would certainly be one of them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0esh3fggskcy ... t.mp3?dl=0
- Also lovely, and much more theme appropriate for most any festive MSC town area.
- Happy enough to make my teeth rot though, better save it for the bar.
- I suspect the rendering could be tweaked out to make it seem a bit less hollow and distant though, unless the intent is to have it play through a wall to suggest a party inside, in which case ya may want to convert to a wave for that use, as we've no point-of-broadcast based MP3 entity. (Just, yeah, don't submit it that way.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kk6dicmo5rpj ... r.mp3?dl=0
- This is sweet, though the previous piano render you've already provided was a bit better, and they both have the same issue in that they are single-instrument (I need layers in my cake). The guitar render used has no scratches, variations, string-overs, or box reverb to make it sound more realistic and thus quaint... And less "midi".

PS. I didn't realize I was going to be stuck with music, but one thing I would have *really* given bonus points for, is combat appropriate music. I really can't say we have a *lack* of it, given the huge swath of music we have, but it's the hardest to get a hold of, and the thing we have the least of, especially in terms of in-house OC.

Anyways... While I do see a lot potential in Calcifer's work as a future artist, especially since he's actually using a proper beat track here... As he himself already admitted, this isn't even really a contest here - no coin flipping this time.

Winrar:
TheOysterHippopotami
(...and with all the game's he'll be getting, he'll have no more time to develop MSC.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
  • Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm brushing it up now... Then I gotta assemble it... Barring alien invasion, which I was told *probably* wont happen due to sacrifices made at altars earlier in the week, might get it out tonight, though might have to wait for RKS availability. In any case, I am skimping on a lot of inconsequential stuff to rush it out and...

QUIT LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT! :oops:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'm brushing it up now... Then I gotta assemble it... Barring alien invasion, which I was told *probably* wont happen due to sacrifices made at altars earlier in the week, might get it out tonight, though might have to wait for RKS availability. In any case, I am skimping on a lot of inconsequential stuff to rush it out and...

QUIT LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT! :oops:
*hugs Thothie* :D

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, it was uploading, and now it seems to have died... Wonder if it's too big for my host. :\

I'll have to try RKS's FTP instead, maybe, but... I think I hear something coming up my driveway...

hqdefault.jpg

*sigh*

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, it was uploading, and now it seems to have died... Wonder if it's too big for my host. :\

I'll have to try RKS's FTP instead, maybe, but... I think I hear something coming up my driveway...

snip

*sigh*

oh no :oldshock:

don't get abducted!! not until you get it out anyway, then it doesn't rly matter

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
4 hours later, no patch :oldcry:

thothie confirmed abducted by aliens

wel shit

does any1 know where he lives???

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
01010100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01001001 00100111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110101 01101110 01100100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100001 01111001 00100000 01101111 01100110 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01110000 00101110 00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01110011 01101111 01101111 01101110 00100001

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
oculus_stargate2.jpg
Gate... I think. Luckily there's a Chapa'ai in my living room, and I remembered the dialing address.

*whew*

Well, now that I'm back, I've realized we've gotta bug where all the dwarven zombs in Gate City are teleporting off the map... So, stopping another gigantic upload, and fixing that - also checking for potentially related bugs.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Regorty said:
Thothie said:
When do I get to visit that map? That one looks like fun to hug! :wink:

I still need to sort out the 6GB WIP pack Crow gave me - then you can open it in Hammer and hug it all you want.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gawds damned this thing...

Weird-Al-Fat_400.jpg

800MB Installer, 1.52GB Install

Time to compile installer: 1hr 27mins (Damnit NSIS, why u no multi-thread!?)
Time to install installer: 6 minutes

Find some stupid little thing wrong, delete client files, rinse, repeat... Ten f*cking times...

Time to upload installer: ~1hr (Why Uverse, why!?)

Find something wrong during upload... Rinse, repeat, AGAIN.

*whimpers*

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
F*cking Hell said:
---------------------------
FTP Folder Error
An error occurred copying a file to the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to put files on the server.

Details:
The operation timed out

OK

I can't upload this damned thing... It's too fat... What do? :oldcry:

...Meh, gonna try via FileZilla and hope it'll let me resume.

Sataniac

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Recompile it or split the installer into 2 parts, or speak with PY004 about it, idk! D:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Welp, you could upload the installer on an alternative site for now...

As for getting the files on the servers, you could do that all manually :3

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
As for getting the files on the servers, you could do that all manually :3
I'd have to stick it on a USB stick, fly to Chicago, then gun my way past some security in a data center.

Sec, I'll get some more AR-15 ammo...

As for putting up elsewhere, the only more reliable places I know for files this big, are via HTTP transfer, and nerfed pretty bad - it'd take all night. Then there's the issue of direct URL transfer, which I don't think any of them allow, but maybe RKS would have better luck downloading and propagating it...

Meanwhile, FileZilla's going at it - I'll try that first.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I rather meant manually patch the servers via the FTP... File per file, instead of en masse.