My Introduction, an Expression of Interest, and Questions

WHITE-LION

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
A little guidance would be helpful.

It appears that the MSS master was built using VSC 2010 which I have downloaded and installed (the express version anyway) yet it appears that VPC is not able to create the project file for VSC 2010. Executing the program via cmdlne in verbose mode shows these warnings:

hOyI0Zo.png

and no project solution file is generated. There are no error messages or any other kind of information out-put to the cmdlne. I don't know what's wrong. I have looked at this definition file, but I don't know how to change it as it is written in some language unknown to me. Do you have any ideas? Also must I use VSC 2010 or can I just build the project with VS 2013?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*shrug* Wouldn't be able to get that far myself, seeing as how the SLN's are missing, so you'll have to ask elsewhere, though I doubt those warnings are actually related to the problem.:\

Here's an older archive, I assume pre-BoX, that has SLN's and NCB's (and perhaps some other critical stuff he stripped out of this Git):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/mss_code_only.7z (~113MB)

WHITE-LION

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
*shrug* Wouldn't be able to get that far myself, seeing as how the SLN's are missing, so you'll have to ask elsewhere, though I doubt those warnings are actually related to the problem.:\

Here's an older archive, I assume pre-BoX, that has SLN's and NCB's (and perhaps some other critical stuff he stripped out of this Git):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/mss_code_only.7z (~113MB)

The link returns error code 404.

WHITE-LION

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the source with me (and us).

I am seriously considering using the enhanced Source engine as the base for this project. This is the version of Source that was used to make 'Alien Swarm'. According to the Github page, this version of Source has improvements to Hammer and the game engine itself, though the details of these improvements are not specified. In the Discord server, some of the project developers tell me that this version of Source has better performance than the original Source engine.

Last edited:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wonder if they ever raised the deformation limit (which one of the MSS maps went over). Am sick of hitting walls like that. I kinda understand, if they kept enhancing the Gldsrc engine, eventually ya'd wind up with Source, so they seem to have a policy against enhancing it, just porting it to more platforms - but why there are similar walls in Source, well under the point where you'd run out of memory or processing resources, I never understood.

WHITE-LION

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
I don't know, but I will ask the users in the Discord server.

No real progress has been made, all work done so far has been to set up the development environment (all of the necessary source files and programs), reading the poorly organized and incomplete Source wiki, testing different configuration settings, and other miscellaneous tasks.
So far I have come to see how tedious making a Source mod is. The documentation for the Source SDK is mediocre at best, so far the most bountiful source of information on the SDK is the Source wiki, which does have some useful information yet there are many pages which are incomplete with missing sections. Aside from the Source wiki, there is an abundance of Source mapping tutorials but those are too narrow in their scope for my purposes.
Not only is there a lack of information on Source modding, but I find that the game programs have errors or are outright broken. I am currently testing the multiplayer functionality of the game base for eSource and the dedicated server crashes for an inexplicable reason (Visual Studio says that a thread did an I/O operation on an object it did not have the privilege to access, but without having the source for srcds I cannot tell you what is causing it and that would only add to the list of work).
Source modding is a mess and I would beg for Valve to make modding much easier in Source 2.

*sigh*

...the documentation for the Unreal Engine 4 seems to have much more information and there is even a reference manual for all the technical details.

Last edited: