Original Midis

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I seem to have noticed how there aren't any midis in mu music folder but the game keeps calling for them.. were there supposed to be midis? and if so can I get them? I want to try to resample them through my FL Studio That way we don't have to mid sounding songs.. Like Ara and Aleyesu

J

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ara's music doesn't use MIDI. It uses a sample-based format, and looking at the pack, the samples were taken from Yamaha DX27, Roland D50 and Korg X5. A conversion might be possible, but it'd require some work.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I wrote the tune in 10 minutes, which is why it's so crappy :|

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
J said:
Ara's music doesn't use MIDI. It uses a sample-based format, and looking at the pack, the samples were taken from Yamaha DX27, Roland D50 and Korg X5. A conversion might be possible, but it'd require some work.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I wrote the tune in 10 minutes, which is why it's so crappy :|

My apologies then. I didn't know the original maker of the music for Ara was still active.. heh *shakes hand* Sorry ^^;

HVR

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sydrec claims to have decay.mid for mscave.
Sydrec says lots of things so I shouldn't be talking.
Speaking of midis, I recently discovered Edirol Orchestral.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All the Lanethan original music was originally MIDI, and I believe it's all been converted. I think there's some hold overs that aren't his... Not sure if I have the original MIDI's (I lost a lot of ancient-archive stuff in the Great Crash of 09), but I do have an excess of music for MSC just laying about.

Most of the maps that still have MIDI's are very old.

DOS Find gives me...

FIND_results said:
---------- KELEDROSRUINS
"mskeledrosdeep.mid" - Nein
"mskeledros.mid" - Nope, but it looks like at least one was converted to mskeledros.mp3

---------- MSCAVE.BSP
"decay.mid" - Got it.

---------- MS_CAVES.BSP
"pillarsofthemoon.mid" - Got it.

---------- MS_QUEST.BSP
"pillarsofthemoon.mid" "1" - Got it
"fields.mid" "1" - Got it

---------- MS_SWAMP.BSP
"pools.mid" "1" - Got it, and a basic MP3 render
"reflection.mid" "1" - Got it, and a two rendered MP3s (one basic, one studio)

---------- MS_TOWN.BSP
"tune1.mid" "1" - Got it...

---------- NIGHTMARE_THORNLANDS.BSP / THORNLANDS.BSP
"drunken.mid" "3:00" - Got it...

So, in short, I've everything but mskeledrosdeep, and mskeledros, both of which seem to be covered.

For the fun of it, I'm going to toss in the MIDI sources for most of our stuff, as well as a bunch of MIDI's that were never used or created for other purposes. (A few of which, are actually mine - probably made before about half our players were born. :/)

A lot of these, including several in the FIND search, may not be worth translating though. Again, I've a mess load of music waiting to be used that might fair better... Not that I'd waste many of them on the ms_quest series though.

I've included the MP3's of most of those that have already been rendered, so you can compare your work against them:
MIDI lost and Found (25MB)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Ah! Thanks! I'll see what I can do with these (When I can get ahold of some proper wave samples of instruments)

Thanks for your help Thothie!

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
---------- KELEDROSRUINS
"mskeledrosdeep.mid" - Nein
"mskeledros.mid" - Nope, but it looks like at least one was converted to mskeledros.mp3

---------- MSCAVE.BSP
"decay.mid" - Got it.

---------- MS_CAVES.BSP
"pillarsofthemoon.mid" - Got it.

---------- MS_QUEST.BSP
"pillarsofthemoon.mid" "1" - Got it
"fields.mid" "1" - Got it

---------- MS_SWAMP.BSP
"pools.mid" "1" - Got it, and a basic MP3 render
"reflection.mid" "1" - Got it, and a two rendered MP3s (one basic, one studio)

---------- MS_TOWN.BSP
"tune1.mid" "1" - Got it...

---------- NIGHTMARE_THORNLANDS.BSP / THORNLANDS.BSP
"drunken.mid" "3:00" - Got it...

How many of these are original Lanethan tunes, if any? None of these are marked ms_ but many of them sound like they could have been made by him.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All except tunel and drunken, I believe.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I assume there are more unmarked Lanethan songs in that ye ancient midis folder? Are you able to confirm which tracks are definitely Lanethan songs? I suspect the following may be by Lanethan:

cave.mid
CRYSTALC.MID
DEATH.MID
Tropical.mid
LASTWAR.MID
GAME1/2/3.MID

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
WAROFT~1 is extremely familiar, but I can't place my tongue on it. Kind of sounds like the theme to a spy movie?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
cave.mid - Yes
CRYSTALC.MID - No
DEATH.MID - No
Tropical.mid - Yes
LASTWAR.MID - No
GAME1/2/3.MID - No
WAROFT~1 - No

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. What about:

AIRY.MID
ASTRALMY.MID
BURNCIRC.MID
spirit.mid
symphony2.mid
wellhowd.mid
worldbeauty.mid
YUNQUE.MID (sounds like it reuses melodies from Lastwar.mp3????)
serene.mid

Almost all of these seem to use lanethans signature 'loop'n'layer' technique to varying degrees.

Also, just to clarify for the record, you (Thothie) did indeed create SPIDERS.MID, correct?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jebus Christov, what all did we put in there?

AIRY.MID
ASTRALMY.MID
BURNCIRC.MID
spirit.mid (Jagex)
symphony2.mid
wellhowd.mid
worldbeauty.mid (Jagex)
YUNQUE.MID (sounds like it reuses melodies from Lastwar.mp3????)
serene.mid (Jagex)
No to all of those. Actually, at least two of those used to come packaged with Windows 95/98 or ye old Sound Blaster cards, and a few were created before Lanethan was born (or at least before he could type).

(Also Lastwar and Yunique are created more than a decade apart, and thus, presumably, unrelated. Probably Pachelbel syndrome.)

Also, just to clarify for the record, you (Thothie) did indeed create SPIDERS.MID, correct?
Sorta, though it's not a wholly original composition so much as recreated, unlike Demon16/21 (assuming that's in there somewhere, though it was intended more as a set of test tracks that got loosely tied together).

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
spirit.mid (Jagex)
worldbeauty.mid (Jagex)
serene.mid (Jagex)
Who is Jagex? Was he an early msc player/dev?

Sorta, though it's not a wholly original composition so much as recreated, unlike Demon16/21 (assuming that's in there somewhere, though it was intended more as a set of test tracks that got loosely tied together).
What is SPIDERS.MID recreated from? And to be clear, you are the author of DEMON16T.MID and DEMON21T.MID?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Who is Jagex? Was he an early msc player/dev?
He used to put together music tracks for old DOS games by request on AOL. Lost track of him by the time MSC came about.

I linked my entire midi library, which is nearly 200MB of stuff dating back to the 80's (some converted from a TSR-80 CoCo or CMI's) which was impressive at the time, and told the team to pick and choose (this is before I was on said team). I guess I never noticed all the odd stuff that ended up in there (or I've just forgotten).

What is SPIDERS.MID recreated from? And to be clear, you are the author of DEMON16T.MID and DEMON21T.MID?
Yonder - never got around to going beyond a single instrument track version (the DOS MIDI software I tended to use stopped being viable after Pentiums came out, and I never really picked up anything new to go back and fix it).

Demon16T is largely mine, the 21T is enhanced by an old e-friend, Walthius, who I believe is no longer with us. It's a mish-mash of test riffs tied together with an undertrack, designed to run through every instrument on the SBpro (21T for the SB16). Dates back to the early-mid 90's. (No idea why that'd end up in a fantasy music collection, kinda ended up a retro-pop piece.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That... Could be him... I was never clear if Walthius was his handle or his real name, but the midi mail group was shut down with an announcement that he had passed on made by his sister, so if it is him, we all got hornswoggled. Walthius always seemed to suffer from ESL though (think he was Norwegian), so I'd be guessing not the same guy. (Also always seemed more interested in the technical aspects than composing, and would probably be in his 70's or 80's now.)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Interesting. I discovered this "Michael Walthius" fellow years ago via the MagicTravels.mid file that's in the ye ancient midis folder. He has quite a few catchy tunes, all of which make me think it's 1993 again at the very latest.

Edit: confirmed

Last edited:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
1993 would be about right, before 95 to be sure, but that's one heck of a build up from that old diagnostic track. I might drop him a line and delicately ask why he checked out - I suppose it wouldn't be the only time I've seen something like that. Blackchip would be glad to know he's still around, if he doesn't already, but aside from him, I've lost track of the scene since 98 or so.