Rebuke effects to ignore armor/damage resist.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
This isn't a thread about major magic system reworking, this is just what I think would be a quick bandaid to help make one of the most neglected magic skills a little bit more effective and scalable to higher levels.

It never quite made sense to me that rebuke undead and other holy magic effects are able to be made less effective by a mobs base resistance or "armor" value. Divine magic should come with miraculous, evil stopping properties.

I am only of course referring to the magic effect specifically and not physical based attacks such as the UGA, holy lance, fshard melee hits, and holy arrow projectile impacts. What counts as the magic rebuke effect would be the rebuke undead spell, UGA lunge AoE, felewyn shard wave and its following DoT, holy lance throw's second pulse of damage after impact, and the greater holy arrows second pulse of damage after impact (currently broken in nov2015).

Considering that some of these items can be rather arduous or difficult to acquire, their effectiveness can wear off rather quickly compared similarly leveled items. Taking the acid lance vs holy lance as an example here; why would I waste time throwing the holy lance when a charged up hit from the acid lance can deal more damage to something I would think to use the holy lance on?

Please discuss, as this is from the probably skewed perspective of a level 45 player with most end game items. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
True that - though holy does a LOT of damage to most things that are holy vulnerable... Other bugger is I'd have to do it kinda ass backwards - read the mob's armor rating and multiply the incoming damage to compensate.

Also, while there's not a lot of mobs chucking holy spells, if that went both ways, it'd really make the Darkness Contamination smart - does make the new elves rather deadly as it is.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Didn't really intend this to be both ways, just for players vs mob...

If you have to do this for mobs vs player too, then don't do it at all honestly.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I actually like the idea, as long as there's some way to reverse the Darkness Contamination process... Or remove the level entirely with some armor or something that would in change make your Dark attacks nearly useless...? I'd rather The_Walls Elves not be any more OP

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In the alpha, the only way to remove darkness contamination quickly is with one of the two rare to extremely rare holy hand grenades. Plan down the line was to add some other items/quests. In NOV2015, all you can do is wait for it to dissipate while avoiding using darkness.

Guess we'll leave well enough alone for now, maybe revisit later. In the alpha, elemental damage multipliers are capped, but holy has the highest level cap, so it'll still do more damage than anything else, and holy vulnerable critters tend to have multipliers of x3+ (including nearly all the skeletons, and there are a lot of skeletons.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Healing circle should deal holy damage.

Yeah... about that. The spell has been nerfed before, so having it deal holy damage seems to go against whoever nerfed it in the first place as it would be "too good".

Though, back in the days when i used to play this 24/7, i really wanted a holy circle spell that would apply rebukes to everyone standing on it while partially healing the player for the damage dealt. Making it good if multiple enemies stand in it, if it's just one, no big deal.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
There's already the F-shard's holy wave, which heals and also does holy damage... sadly it's broken until next patch (Unless you turn pvp on)

renamon

Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah but there isn't very many holy spells other than rebuke undead. I guess it might defeat the purpose of doing the unbreakable golden axe quest though.