Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Critical Modeling Tasks:

NPCs
• Elf Wizards/Clerics- (preferably not ripped from Morrowind.)
- Basically would like to replace the stolen Morrowind elf models with something more appropriate.
- (We've already replaced the stolen Warcraft elves, they just aren't in NOV2015.)
- De-wowing materials: http://www.rkszone.com/downloads/msc/ou ... f_bits.rar
• Human children models
- Something non-anime looking for Erkold's family quest (potential child source)

Monsters
• Orcs could use a replacement. There's such a wide variety of them, it maybe a bit of work though.
• Rat could use a replacement. (Here's a nice Mesh)

Player Models:
• Elf
• A more refined female player model would be nice - preferably via tweaking of the existing mesh.

Animations:
• Viewmodel: Rapid, one handed, open palmed, hand view animations for with to cast spells in rapid succession with alternating hands.
• Viewmodel: Long series of magical gestures for complex single shot spells (summons, firewall, volcano, etc.)
• Viewmodel: Animation for sustaining a spell. (One where you hold the button down.)
• Dwarf NPC model: social animations (sit, eat, drink, etc.)
- Recently added some "sitting on his ass", wounded, and conversation animations, but could use some more, given how many dwarves are wandering about in our dwarven town (soon to be plural).

Reskins
• More forearm skin textures for viewmodels
- So that you can see what armor you are wearing from first person without looking at ms_lildude. ;)

--------------------------------------------------

BUYING MODELS ON TURBO-SQUID

There's a lotta cheap and even free models on Tubo Squid. They are not always MSC friendly though. Some require more work than others.

For monsters:
• Less than <8K poly (mind you, >4K poly is more work, as the model has to be segmented.)
• Bone #0 should be the root bone, linked to the model for movement.
- Albeit, there's no way to check this without downloading it.
- Also not an issue, if the monster is of the stationary or flying variety.
• If it ain't animated, skinned/UV'd, and rigged, forget about it. More work than it's worth.
• Preferred formats: MS3D [Milkshape], SMD

For weapons:
• Do require skin. Do NOT require bones nor animations.
• <4K poly (though sometimes we can reduce LOD - but the model will suffer.)
• Preferred formats: MS3D [Milkshape], OBJ

For all:
• Not Maya or 3ds MAX format, for these are proprietary. Blender is also a bit iffy.

If you purchase $10 or more worth of valid models for use with MSC, and provide your Steam ID, we will give you a Donator Halo. Please run links past Thothie before making purchases, however.

Also, while Turbosquid is a good place to *search* for models, it is a bit of a shady place, apparently, and not always the best place to *buy* them...
Turbosquid Shenanigans said:
I'm tempted not to bring this up, as I don't want to discourage people from donating models entirely (even if, again, I'd rather you gave to RKS, atm). However, if you buy a model from Turbosquid, in addition to linking me before you do, so I can determine the possible viability - as Zeus just discovered - GOOGLE THE AUTHOR'S NAME!

3rdt.com said:
Just a warning to our customers. Turbosquid.com is illegally selling our 3d models under our brand name. Please don't make purchases from them. If you have ordered any of our products from them in the past, please request a refund due to they are not selling a legal license for our intellectual property.
3RDT is the source of our new elf models, among others, and it seems most of his stuff is available on his web site, for considerably less than it is on Turbosquid, where he apparently doesn't want it to be, and isn't getting any money for his work. Some similar shady stuff going on with the various models we got from 3DFoin, I suspect. Turbosquid isn't the only site doing this either - and the markups are considerably harsher elsewhere.

(Given all the models we've nicked, I suppose I shouldn't get too sanctimonious, but at least we don't try to sell them back to you, with a markup to boot! ><)

[To be expanded upon as soon as stuff comes to mind]

(actual last update: SEP2016_08, despite whatever it says below)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I just didn't want it going public 'cause I can't keep track of shit that needs to be added to p_weapons.mdl if you do. I'm still workin' away at stuff. Also, I have succesfully altered the playermodel, so we're good for adding animations to it.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but leave all that weapon shit to me. It will get done, and if anyone else does it they can't add it to the lump model as it is stored on my computer. Also, I added all the recen vomica models to the p_weapons2.mdl, if you care to look at the end, they should be there. If not, wait while I finish the rest. :wink:

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
question about using models in hl1 maps...

how well does hl1 handle env_models...because i was thinking of using a good deal of models to make the (single) town map and castle map in the badlands area look really good...and dont worry thothie, i'll have something to do other than shopping ;)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MSC handles env_model just fine - HLDM doesn't handle them at all (gotta use env_sprite).

On the http://www.thothie.com/msc/calruin2_tutorial.rar you can see several env_model's used:
- Calrian's "ghost of ghost" laughing at you at the portal
- The models/props/bs_looper.mdl being used for the "hammer time" variant of Lord BS.

One bad thing about the env_model is that the body (submodelbody) function seems to be busted. This maybe fixable on the code end though, not sure, not looked into it.

Also note that you cannot loop an animation that doesn't have that ability built into the QC - it'll only play once. (one of the reasons for the bs_looper.mdl - couldn't use the actual Lord BS model, as the anim doesn't loop)

As demonsrated in that tutorial, you can use env_render to affect env_model the same way you would with an env_sprite model placement.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
"Silly amounts" may lead to premature Mod:extradata cacheing issues.

Orochi said:
leave all that weapon **** to me. It will get done, and if anyone else does it they can't add it to the lump model as it is stored on my computer.

I should give you the Novablade set too then.

I'm going to try and see if I can break the submodel limit by playing with the studiomdl switches using the last submodel sets you gave me sometime today.

You can't do ALL that though. There's a lot more than model consolidation there (and even that, once we have our primary model sets, should be easy to add to). Maybe be a bit more specific as to your task list and I can mark those you are working on to prevent duplication of efforts.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oops... Nvm, that Novablade and axe, and stuff DO have player models... Grr... Maybe I already sent em to you:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/tranny_blade.rar

I'll edit the post in a moment...

That archive also includes the blood scythe, which I do want... The Avimander I'm not so sure about - and the GIceBlade from that pack I'm fairly certain I don't want - however - it would be nice to replace the ice queen's clubs with those.

Having the ice queen so she can run is just far too nasty though - ya kinda need to be able to get away and heal. So I'd suggest rigging those to her CURRENT lumbering model, rather than to any of the new 'smart' models.

Although the more weapon models on the smart models, the merrier - maybe one of her minions could use it, or a pair there of.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Argh, just make her use the walking animation ONLY! >_<
I can't see why you won't do that. Reserve the run for form 3.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
so your health doesn't drop faster than your meter can display, for one >.<

also that whole -1212578/507 thingie

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I thought the HP bar was for displaying your health to other players..

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ohhh yeaaaah....

well, then its that then...but that losing health faster than it drops thing should be fixed, i want my health to instantly go to what it really is, not drain...unless i dont actually die till its drained (ala EarthBound)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Argh, just make her use the walking animation ONLY! >_<
I can't see why you won't do that. Reserve the run for form 3.
Well, 1) The walk anim looks awful, 2) It doesn't play nicely with circle spells (whish is why Shad doesn't have it), and 3) The only feature that makes the model worth using at all, is the run animation.

well, then its that then...but that losing health faster than it drops thing should be fixed,
It's a client side issue. Not sure how easy it would be to get around, but hopefully it's just a mater of eliminating the 'count up/down' on the health bar if the difference is greater than a certain amount.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
What do you need most NPC wise? Thost potential models are all a waste of time. They are all terrible models! Vomica7 and I can surely make better things (yes yes I can take time to do things, but I do them well :p)

Im sure he'd be willing to give it shot with me

If you have some models you want to use, but their anims suck balls, send them my way, if the models not crappy, I can wip up a new replacement/set of anims pretty quickly!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sometimes I think your modeling standards are too high for us. ;)

What do you need most NPC wise?
Elves... And that King. Actually have a map on hold due to the lack of King model (map's done, it just needs scripts), and Bloodrose is getting ever-closer to being released (despite being delayed more times than TF2 - not that I can talk with old_helena and all). There are likely some elven concept maps that have also been dumped due to lack of proper elves.

The potentials are pretty much last ditch efforts. I'm getting real close to just reskinning one of those if nothing gets done though.

Although the best one of them didn't wind up in the pack for some reason:
http://www.thothie.com/msc/f_warrior.mdl

So, if I were to prioritize, I'd say:
- Elven Warrior (male/female/Torkalath)
- King of Deralia Model
- Elven Mage/Cleric (male/female/Torkalath)
- Elven Civilian (female - we got the male)
- Elven Aristocrat (male/female)

Oh, and add to the list:
- Children (little boy, and little girl, that don't look like anime characters)

I intend to expand on the "find Erkold's family" quest with that.

If you have some models you want to use, but their anims suck balls, send them my way, if the models not crappy, I can wip up a new replacement/set of anims pretty quickly!
monsters/swamp_ogre.mdl
- attack1 has some complaints against it
monsters/skeleton_boss1.mdl
monsters/skeleton_boss2.mdl
monsters/skeleton_enraged.mdl
- on all these attack3 has some complaints. Note that the frame rate has been raised on the _enraged.mdl's attacks. This has to be maintained (enraged skeletons swing faster). A two handed weapon swing would be nice too (attack4, I guess).

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get those anims done tonight :)

and whilst Im at it, fix up the troll :)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Hey Gaz, you mind if I move the commoners/guards/LotL to the Super-Definition model? As far as I know it will still work, since they use the standard scientist skeleton. also, I'm going give LotL and Vadrel an overhaul, with Knight's platemail armor. This will mean eyeposing and fingerposing for animations, and better bonestructure to boot. The only downside is it will be the same armor. I know I should do it from scratch, but I think if we're going to merge them they might as well get an upgrade from existing stuff.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Err, I don't quite follow, but ifs its using the scientist skel, please PLEASE let me redo the walk and run anims :)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, with the release of the PS2 version of Half-Life, the models and such were redone in very high quality, by HL1's standards. Well, people found a method to rip them off the PS2 disks, and thus Super-Definition models were born. What I want to do is replace the default commoners/guards with ones that use SD parts to match up with the quality of your models, and give Lord of the Land the Knight's platemail armor. The armor would otherwise remain unchanged, but I'd have to redo the female commoner, much to the joy of players everywhere. I don't want to, as MS:C runs crappy enough as is, but if you're going to do such high-quality stuff, then we can't have the stuff you see from the start being really bad-looking.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for the double-post, but the SD animations are much better. Also, would it be possible for you to send me the finished products? I need to make the Djinns Ji-Ax and Val-Sul off that.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
So what do you want me to do?

I'm lost :p

They're defo PS2 models? and not the enhanced pack released with blueshift?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i've got the PS2 game, and yeah...they did look alot better...

but what effect will that have on our models? just anims? D:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Someone needs to gather a list of all models using scientist anims and we should consolidate all those models into one - especially if yer planning on somehow "enhancing" the scientist anims with this er, PS/2 thing, or whatever yer talking about...

Note that the new models: skeleton_boss1.mdl skeleton_boss2.mdl and skeleton_enraged.mdl use the scientist anims - however these, and several other scientist-bone models, have shared "attack" anims that are indeed different (for instance the enraged skeletons attacks are at a faster frame rate than the other two skeles). I can change the scripts to point to renamed attacks. ("attack2_enraged" or whatnot).

While this is true for monsters, it is not true for items. For some reason the item scripts like to ignore me when I point items to new idle anims, and they have a habit of vanishing as a result. This happened when Gaz tried to give me a consolidated set of shield player models, all sharing the same idle anim.

Progress on the p_model conslidation:
I'm working with the current consolidated models Orochi sent me (p_weapons.mdl and p_weapons2.mdl) - bad thing is they apparently can't be consolidated further than this. My attempts to do so either wind up with a hitbox mis-match issue (not a big deal - we don't need the hitboxes - in fact, I recommend stripping the hitboxes to ease the server load). But even without the hitboxes, it still fails to compile. No error report - just exits before calculating the textures, and playing with the -g setting doesn't seem to help any... Seems to just be some limit in the studiomdl.exe (this is the newest one). Not sure if the HL1 engine itself shares a similar limit... I *think* studiomdl's source is actually included in the HLSDK - I may look into seeing if I can break this limit on that side.

I realize Orochi is working on new consolidation models - so I'm setting up a global string listing model indexes for each weapon. That way we can change them easily, and he can feel free to change the order they come in, or what not, to whatever is convenient for him, and it'll all be ready to go right quick.

edit: also I think in the future we should be careful to rename the textures via S&R on the SMD's to be prefixed by the name of the weapon that uses them. V. Hard to sort/fix textures on these 100+ submodel beasts.