[WiP] Hemlock

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Recently I started creating a freeroam map for mid-high levels. After deleting and rebuilding/retexturing sections of the map until I felt satisfied, I've collected enough screenshots worth creating a thread for. I hope to include a wide variety of areas to explore in my map. So far I have created a mineshaft tunnel, a cliffside and some caves. I have also started building the interior of the orcish garrison as well as the plains.

Mineshaft (one of the spawn areas):
hem_mineshaft.jpg

Orcish garrison (ft. Orcish poser):
hem_orc.jpg

Large cave connecting to multiple tunnels:
hem_bigcave.jpg

Smaller cave:
hem_smallcave.jpg

Interior of the Orcish garrison (still need to add props):
hem_interior.jpg

Into the plains (again - still need to add props):
hem_exterior.jpg

I need to practice building exterior areas. :p

Also, here is bonus footage with an older version of the map. Feel free to give me any criticism or suggestions for what you'd like to see (e.g. what props to include, adjustments to make .etc) in the areas shown in the screenshots.

Dehoth

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Looks great so far, nice detailed brushwork and lighting.

Outdoor areas can be a real pain to populate if you want to stay low in wpolies, try to keep everything as natural as possible with the visblockers and keep up the good work.

I would also suggest to keep the respawns of the entities natural and not just make them pop up in the air, thinking about caves: burrowing up or swooping down or coming out of dark small passages. And in the orc fortress reinforcements coming from sidepassages or doors when applicable.

ultima

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Surprise muthaf*cka! Brushwork looks amazing. Same with the lighting and texture detail. It all looks very promising! I'm gonna need you to help finish my map next lol. :wink:

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The brushwork is mostly completed now, although I still have to add some extra details here and there after I have finished populating. Here's another video showing a section of the plains and the cliffside.

The map should be finished this month. :p

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
pogchamp.png

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Ignoring the video quality which does not help appreciate the full extent of your work, it does look interisting to say the least.

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I just sent Thothie the source along with detail textures, hopefully it is released soon. ;)

I would say that the level range is 700-1000+ hp. The map is fully populated - including various random events that can occur on different playthroughs (mostly in the plains), with respawning monsters in some areas. There are also multiple secret areas to find (including 3 easter eggs) and many objects that you can interact with throughout the map. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bleh, shoulda had this up by now... Revealed some issues in my last NOV2015b build, but I should put the rollbacking iterations aside and concentrate on this - all I really need to do is edit some treasure chests, me thinks, and we can put up a version for NOV2015a, though testing has kinda been minimal. I wasn't able to complete my run through due to running it on NOV2015b and running into issues not related to the map itself.