Yet another voice actor

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Oh hi. I now have a recording rig, so I was wondering if I could lend any of my non-existant talent to voice acting. I was thinking about providing voices for people who don't already have one, so if you have any suggestions I can provide some samples as audition pieces. I have a very thick Middle English (newsreader) accent, just point me in the right direction and I'll see what I can do. I'm a thespian at heart and can do a variety of accents if it helps.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My, where to even begin, we've so much that needs dubbing...

Poof will hopefully do the other bits for Runegahr soon (he did Finven and the related Sorc Archer). Supersoup himself is working on Jerdid the Adventurer. Everything else is fair game, I think.

If ye can do the classic Scottish accent, Forsuth has a whole lotta bits that need voice acting. He'll need his action voice replaced to match up though. Those bits he does have are in msc\sound\voices\dwarf.

If you can do an older gentleman - though not necessarily ancient, Semblin, Master Priest of Edana has a whole lotta text that needs reading.

I'm sure you can think of some others you maybe interested in. Any of the male bankers, the Foutpost Supervisor, Agrath the Gloam Hunter (who has future appearances elsewhere), among others...

Supersoup expressed some interest in doing Varondo (the Sorc_Villa banker), but I'm not sure if he's still up for it. I'll post his voice script up, however, seeing as how I already set it up. Varondo is good if you can do the incredible snobby elf who's primary thought is, "WTF am I doing here!? ><"

Here's some other scripts I wrote up for Supersoup, who, SFAIK, is only interested in Jerdid ATM:

Foutpost Supervisor
Code:
Player hails:
"For the longest time, we have struggled here against the Orcish invaders from the south."
"King Ardelleron just recently allowed us the materials for this wall."
"However, even with the wall, our numbers are diminishing and the King has yet to send more troops."
"We can't hold this position any longer...or at least...not without help..."
"If you help us to stop this invasion, I will reward you most graciously."
"Do you accept, good sir?"

Player refuses:
(angry) "Then begone from our lands, as another attack is imminent!"

Player accepts:
"Ah! Wonderful. If you would, there is a guard tower where you can watch for them coming."

Players win:
"Well done, travellers. Please, take a look around the armory and take what you wish."
"No shoving now! There's enough for everyone!"

Smivel of Galat (Helena)
Code:
Player hails:
"Eh? Oh, hello good sir... Um... Welcome to Galat's Weapon and Armor Storage."
"For a nominal fee, we can store weapons and armor."
"We'll give you a ticket for any item that we can store."
"Thanks to our contacts with the Felewyn wizards, you may redeem this ticket at any Galat outlet!"
"There are many other Galat outlets... All of which are in safer places than mine!" (whispers the last bit - although it isn't actually true...)

Asked abut rumors:
"I'm hoping to get promoted to the Deralia branch - IT ISN'T SAFE HERE!"

Sometimes startled by the first hello:
"Umm... Oh yeah... Welcome to Galat's Weapon and Armor Storage!"

Asked about the Galat Chest:
"Oh yeah, that thing. Umm.. That's the new magical storage chest Galat put out recently."
"Eh.. You can put things in it, and it will store them for you."
"Just place the items you want to store in your hands, and use the chest."
"You can take things out too, of course. Just treat it like any other chest for that."
"Each customer's items are kept in a Dim... Dim-en-sion-al pocket. So they, eh, don't get mixed up."
"It holds maybe a dozen things or so. Feel free to use it. Damn thing gives me the creeps."

Asked about the Galat Scroll (begins a painfully rehearsed speech, as if reading from a paper):
"Oh yes, *cough* with Galat's new Wondrous Scroll, you can summon forth a Galat's Wondrous Chest, anywhere."
(whispered) "Which, I'd guess, would be very useful given the sort of places adventurer's like yourself get off to."
"We're supposed to sell these things for... Wow... That can't be right... Ummm... "
("An awful lot of gold!") - [text actually displays cost, but will change with eco reset]
"I guess the higher ups at Galat figure adventurer's like yourself are just made of gold."

Player declines to store item:
"Ummm Okay... Here's yer fee back. Come back anytime."

Player wants to store an item:
"What would you like to store?"

Bank didn't get the item to store:
"Er, sorry, I didn't get the the thing you were going to store."

Bank failed to get ticket:
"Sorry, I didn't get your ticket."

Items in player's hand are of a type that cannot be stored:
"Sorry, I'm afraid you have nothing I can store for you."

Player gets a Galat ticket:
"Here's your ticket! Remember, ya can redeem that at any Galat outlet."

Player asks to redeem a ticket:
"Which ticket would do you like to redeem?"

Player asks to redeem a ticket, but has none in his hands:
"Please place your tickets in your hands so I can redeem them for you."

Player succeeds in another Galat transaction:
(Sounds painfully rehersed) "Th.. th... Thank you for using Galat Storage... Please come again! ...SOON!"

Player asks to store an item, but has nothing in his hands:
"Please hold forth any items you wish to store in your hands."

Player lacks the gold for the banking fee:
"Eh, look, I can't take less than that for it. Sorry, but I need this job."

Player buys a Galat Chest Scroll:
"Here you go. Careful not to summon it into any walls. Remember: no refunds!"

Findlebind Goodheart (of Bloodrose)
Code:
Upon spotting players:
"Blessings to ye, adventurer! Would ye care to assist me with a bit of a problem?"

Asked about problem:
"There's this large bear out there. I can't hardly go outside, and he's scared off all the good hunting!"
"Aye! A kodiak, believe it or not! Bring me proof of its death, and I shall reward ye!"

Quest accepted by powerful looking players:
"That bear won't know what hit it, thanks!"

Upon quest completion:
"Wow! You actually killed it! ...and here I feared you'd only keep its belly full..."
"I suppose you've earned a reward for that..."
"Here... It's not as if I get to town often enough to spend this."

Asked about the mines:
"That mine door has been sealed, though it once lead to the ruins of Melanion, our ancient elven capital."
"Kray Eldorad was later built upon its ruins... Those poor fools... "
"Beneath that veneer of elven paradise, lurk monsters that you cannot even imagine!"
"That's why *I* live HERE! At least here, the horrors don't hide under your feet."
"I... Have another job you could do for me... But it won't be nearly so easy."

Asked about the other quest:
"Well, there's this necromancer that's been causing all this pandemonium in these parts."
"Rather, it's his apprentice that does all the dirty work, Lord of Snakes... Slithar, I believe."
"Bring me proof that he has been slain, and I'll grant you something a lot better than pocket change."
Player asked about quest, but looks weak:
"I warn ye though, ye do not look nearly prepared for this, he'd very likely mean be the end of you."
"I think you should train some more first. I'll grant you the key to his lair when you appear ready."

Continues with second quest explanation, if player looks ready:
"I once had a key that, if what the [priestess] said was true, would get you into his lair."
"Sadly, I left it behind in a wardrobe, when I had to make a hasty move from the old village."
"Finding the key is nothing you can't handle, to be sure, after slaying that bear. But the Snake Lord..."
"He's turned all the people who were once there into his minions!"
"No matter... You may retain anything else you happen to find in that old dresser as well, should you find it of value."

Player comes to him with Slithar's key:
"Ah, I see you have the key, now you just have to find his lair!"
"There's a sinister door, up to the north, I'm not sure, but that maybe it."

Asked about [priestess]:
"A priestess of Fedylwyn came here a few years back..."
"She said she was too weak to defeat the Snake Lord and his master, but..."
"She also said that I should give that red key to anyone I thought strong enough to try."

Players mention elves:
"Yes, it is true, you don't see many of us these days."
"We've been hiding in this mess."
"Bad magic, I say."

Players return after defeating Slithar, to find Findlebind dieing:
"*cough* Good! I see you defeated the snake lord! *gasp*"
"Sadly, his master did not take kindly to that. *cough*"
"He said, to give you... This..."
<croaks>

Varondo of Galat (Sorc_Villa):
Code:
Spots players, sorc_villa set friendly:
"Ah, salutations to the young adventurers. I had overheard there were some honored guests in the villa, but I knew not whether to believe my elven ears."
"Greetings. I am Vorondo, stationed here by Galat to provide services to those unfortunate enough to pass though this orc infested land."

Spots players, sorc_villa not set friendly (entered from desert):
"Salutations, young adventurers. I would not venture further, for the villa just beyond this bend belongs to Runegahr and the Shahaddar Orcs."
"They tolerate my presence here, but would no doubt attempt to slay me were I to move closer, and they'll treat you no better, no doubt."
"Should you choose to enter the villa, and are attacked - and mark my words, you will be - I fear I will not be able to assist you."
"Galat wishes to maintain peaceful relations with this particular orc tribe, and thus I am forbade to interfere save in self-defense..."
"...and even then, I am under strict orders to favor discretion over valor."
(side note, he 'vanishes' if any hostile orc comes near him.)

Hailed by player:
"I am Vorondo, stationed in this gods forsaken land to provide Galat services to those few who can make use of them."
"The orcs, savages though they maybe, tollerate my presense, so long as I setup shop no closer to their stronghold than this."
"I would have prefered, of course, to be stationed in Eswen Sylen, or someplace closer to my homeland - anywhere but here, really..."
"But alas, as one of the few who can both defend themselves, and dependably provide Galat services, I drew the short straw, and wound up out... Here."
"It could be worse, I suppose. One does grow accustom to the smell of orc, over time. Now what services may I offer one of my rare customers?"

Asked about how he survives here, or rumors:
"Fear not for me. I am quite capable of defending myself. Not that I would attempt to move closer to the villa, for fear of the bloodbath that would ensue."
"I suppose, the high bankers of Galat had hoped to extend a hand of friendship to these orcs, for while they are still savages, they are more civil than most..."
"I fear the effort has been ill-fated, however, for thus far, only two orcs have dared to use my services, and the rest have only agreed to stop trying to devour me."
"The human merchant from Sunden-dal uses my services quite often, at least, so it isn't a total waste of my time - though I could surely think of more pleasant ways to spend it."
"It would be only slightly safer to setup in Sunden-dal, to the south, for it has problems of its own, though, unquestionably, the odor would be more pleasant."
"But alas, the Galat management has deemed the place too small to bother with, I suppose."
"...And thus, by cruel twist of fate, here I am."

Asked about Galat Chest:
"This, as I am sure you already know, is the enchanted Galat Storage Chest."
"You may place items held in your hands into the chest with relative ease."
"To withdraw items, simply open the chest and remove the items you desire."
"The chest employs a dimensional pocket system, and thus will display an inventory unique to each customer's account."
"The chest can hold a limited number of items for each customer, and it cannot store every type of item, so please be aware of its limitations."

Asked about Wondrous Scroll:
"The Wondrous Scroll allows you to summon a Galat Storage Chest anywhere you may happen to be at the time."
"Needless to say, this is quite useful for adventurers such as yourself, who often find themselves in, shall we say, out of the way places." [sarcastic on the last bit]
"Though it requires no magical skill, per say, one must be careful, when employing the scroll, not to summon the chest inside a wall or other obstacle."
"The scroll is not for the faint of fortune, however. It currently sells for [a fair amount of gold]." (again, price changes, so just be vague there)

Gripes once in awhile:
"Welcome to Galat's Weapon and Armor Storage. We're everywhere, apparently." (mutters the last bit bitterly)

Generic bank returns:
Canceled transaction: "Very well, I shall refund your fee then."
Store item: "Which item would you like us to store?"
Failed itemget: "I apologize, but I did not receive the item you wished to store."
Failed ticketget: "It seems that I did not receive your ticket."
No storables: "I fear that you have no items which we can store for you."
Success, ticket: "Very good then, here is your ticket. Remember, as always, you may redeem such tickets at any Galat outlet."
Request ticket redeem: "Very well then, which ticket would do you like to redeem?"
Request, ticket redeem, but no tickets in hand: "Please, for the love of Felewyn, remember to place your tickets you wish to redeem in your in your hands."
Success, other: "We of Galat appreciate your business."
Request storage, reminder: "Please hold forth any items you wish to store in your hands."
Failed, due to lack of funds: "I'm afraid you lack sufficient funds for this service."
Success, purchased scroll: "One scroll it is. Please be careful as to its usage, as we cannot provide refunds should you be foolish enough to summon the chest into a wall."

And a repeat of my usual advice on the subject:

As explained elsewhere, sound files need to be divided up line-by-line, down-sampled to 20.05Khz, and EXTREMELY LOUD. Final product should be 16-bit unsigned wave files.

The finest examples of amateur voice work you can find in game are in:
msc\sound\voices\the_wall

You can replace these voice files, and go to The_Wall to get an idea of what your own wav files are going to sound like in game.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Sorc_villa really needs some voice acting imo, would like to see runegarh/alchemist/smith/elf/Bulge or w/e he is called with some voice acting since they are often spoken to. :mrgreen:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jes... Do not limit yourself to just those, I just put em up because the voice acting scripts were already layed out. I'll setup text for any voice you wanna do.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Wonderful, thanks Thoth. I'm currently working on Vorondo - I'll zip 'em up and upload them when I'm done, for your downloading pleasure. I'll then have a look at redoing Forsuth.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Good voice... Not so sure about the recording though. There be some nasty noise in there that maybe hard to clean up. I suggest mouth further from microphone as well.

Rather than trying to be loud enough during your recording, ye may wish to play with the results in GoldWave, or some such, and increase the volume from there instead. Though tis true, you probably want to go for "stage voice" to begin with.

If ye canna clean the noise yourself, I suggest providing us with a higher quality sample rate, and maybe I can clean it up here without impairing your voice too much, before downsampling again.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Aye, down to bad mic positioning, sorry about that. I'll see what I can do.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... Hrmm... Well, the electronic whine is gone, but now there's some sort of modulated reverb echo going on, probably from whatever filter was used.

Think ye might be better off sending over a higher sampling rate and letting me try to clean it up over here. You are recording at the highest sampling rate your card supports, I hope?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The noise is down to one of the cables - hisses like nobody's business regardless of what the gain is set to. Argh. I'll have a re-jig.

Unfortunately Cubase decided not to record them in the frequency I set them to, so they're 44.1kHz, is that OK?

Clickez

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Pro tip for all voice actorz:

Position the mic so that it is perpendicular to the direction of your breath, and then you won't have any pops. Those are caused by air hitting the mic's diaphragm. It will still pick up the sound just fine.

*The More You Know*

This message was brought to you by Sabre, the guy stupid enough to want to carve a career out of audio :p

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Also, @Tent:

What kind of rig do you have? I noticed Cubase, but I'm wondering what interface, mic, etc.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bleh, completely forgot about this... >< I'll try to see if I can clean these up later, but they be really noisy. Maybe need a digital mike. (Or enable Spread Spectrum in the BIOS.)

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I have a Samson Q7 hooked up to a Tascam US-122MKII, but I need to scour my room for anything generating electronic interference if I want to do any more stuff. :(

I blame time constraints.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
From the sound of it, it's gotta be something in the puter itself. You should be able to record digitally with that rig, at 96Khz no less, which should more or less eliminate line noise problems. Again, the Spread Spectrum feature, should the puter support it, sometimes helps with analog EMI. (Usually with no performance impact, if you've not overclocked the memory.)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
What Thothie said. That and you might also have a bad cord somewhere.