Character Reset?

Should the characters be reset in the final '1.01' patch?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't think one should be under any illusion that all the exploits are gone. There's gonna be more found, and some of them will probably be worse. There's too many variables to say "you can't make an exploit of nothing". Inevitably, someone will find a new one, this is true of all games, regardless of how long they've been how or how thoroughly they've been tested. So.. Don't get cocky. ;)

On the other hand, yes, many of the major exploits that people found straight off have been fixed, and many of those exploits were, well, thoroughly exploited by some people.

There is the also the question, however, of which half of the community will be more pissed off - the half that doesn't want their characters deleted - or the half that doesn't get to see their characters deleted. Which half is more likely to give up on the game if they don't get their way?

...and are we going to have a character reset every time a new exploit is found?

Feh, if I could vote again, I'd probably go with the Ralph Nader vote... But I know the #1 reason people have been ditching this game seems to be lack of character saves (or rather, lack of understanding how the character saves work). StevenLAFI, Poof, and a few others abandoned us for that. So, I'm not sure what effect a mass character wipe would have on the community as a whole.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Well Thothie, perhaps if there is a character reset and people leave...Maybe that's a good thing. Think about it this way. The more selfish people will get annoyed at the character reset and leave. Leaving the more loyal dedicated fans behind.

What's better a huge community that is using you for a game of MS:C. Or the people that care about MS:C and the people involved. I've always prefered small, more freindlier communites anyway ;)

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I like large communities, and I understand why people don't want a character wipe. I also understand that those people who don't want it will, if it happens, be a lot more angry than those who did want it and didn't get it. However, this does not change the fact that, so far, the 'yes' votes are winning.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i can accept this charwipe...however there needs t be a limit...
us players doestn want a char wipe each v like the old 1.0-1.3 its annoying.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Might want to

1) Make it clear, this will be the One and ONLY character wipe (and stick to that)

2) Give people about a months notice, so all the servers can stick in in their MOTD's, and no one is "surprised" and comes in here with t3h mass flames.

Not that they won't anyways - pissing off half the players - not counting all the ones that dont come here and/or fail to vote.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i hope they choose 1...im pretty annoyed of char wipes...beside kuro said he would try to end charwipes and upgrade chars,,,

commandfox

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i hafta agree wit lanethan, without a big community u wont have alot of guilds each competeing and saying which is better and what not and wit big communities u also have alot more servers as a result and more people to play with.

As much as im all for the char wipe atm alot of people have already stopped playing because they know of this wipe, whether they come back is a good question.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeh i have stopped playing...waiting for the wipe...and im bored.

AmIAnnoyingNow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I totally disagree with command fox. (BTW, thankyou for giving a reason beyond "i dont want to lose my character")

I dont see much of an outlook for guild play besides just smashing eachother as of now, which would be a battle of not skill but time played.

Also to me, guilds for this game are nothing more than a small community of friendly people isolating themselves from a larger community. If the community were smaller, it wouldn't be much different, people would just know the community better.

Let the selfish people leave, I don't want to play with people who can't stand a character reset after about 1-2 weeks. Their probably the people that will cause problems for other people anyways. (No offense to the people that voted "no", I'm talking about the people that will leave the community if they dont get their way).

Also, on giving a months notice, this is a bad idea. Nobody like having a character reset, the longer you wait, the more it hurts when it happens. A reset after a week is a lot less painful than a reset after a months "work" on characters, and the people waiting for the reset before they play will have to wait longer. Anyways, if they dont know about it by now their probably not playing in other peoples servers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the sudden drop in client flow is due to the threat of character reset, the change in .dll, or the end of winter break. Could be a combination of all the above. But tis true - my server was constantly full for the first week. I've not seen more than 4 people in the past two days, and the drop did coincide with this thread's creation.

Raptor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
so most ms:c player really do come to the forum!

I'm all for it, gives everyone a chance to restart with no bugs and no (known) exploits, I'm sure there are at least a few characters who have around 140k gold from the helena bug, and there are definitely others still who have perfect huggers, skullblades etc. because they ALWAYS spawned in the chests (whether it was perfect or not)... perfect example: my client char got a perfect hugger first try in an unpatched version, and a normal skullblade was in the chest below olaf's house in that exact same game...

At any rate, i want this to happen, i know for a fact others don't, but i do...

what happens when you actually add a female model into the game? i'm sure most people picked male because of the lack of model/sounds, and, a very big if, but if you do decide to add races will we be able to change when they are added? or are you stuck human and need to make an entirely new character? only reason i ask those last 2 is because when you open the character sheet it says "Human <insert title here>", plus some skills may or may not be tweaked, like spell casting - you'd have a level 20 character who trained spell casting just as much as other skills, if not more, and it would still only be level 5-8...

as soon as the patch is ready, release it! the longer we wait the more time i've spent on a character that's gonna be gone :p
and although it'd be nice to keep that blizzard scroll, sharp fang's tooth (i think it's sharp - are there different qualities? i say that because it's almost as good as a perfect hugger), sharp skullblade and normal ess, but hey, i can get it all again (some will take longer and be harder than others, but who cares)... maybe i'll even be able to get in the 6-person level 1 group on thothie's when the patch is out

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
suprise us with this character reset!

i dont mind waiting for the wipe, gives me an excuse to waste my gold finding the best weaps for each weapon class so when the time comes....

i know which one i SHOULD spend my gold on

lalala, and like i said before
its funny when people are weak and get owned by monsters

DocMombo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
why would anyone want this? SO waht if someone has better stuff than you, it's not like many servers will have pk, not to mention that pking isn't even a real part of the game.

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
That's tru, but when a person comes in, is higher level, and has better weapons, and he just owns all the creatures in that map, it gets really old.. Thats kinda why i played on my own server. Not to mention the fact that I had to start a new character, and we went straight to Plains of Daragoth.. WHich is most definitelly not a low level area.

As for those saying Reset because Spell Casting is borked, so what? I started with spell casting aswell.

I've decided that a reset may be a good idea, but its not because of some stat stuff being borked or anything. I also would like to not have the reset because yeah, i dont want to lose the character that i've poored that much time into. But i can allways just play the old version alone if i want to play that character so.. meh..

Make sure that you have the exploits and the stat stuff fixed, before the reset, i think that should take priority. And then worry about bugs like night time being to dark ect ect after that o.0. Even the Crashing on map change bug can wait o.0, even though i can't say i have that problem on my server.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes
Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes
Need I say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.