Character Reset?

Should the characters be reset in the final '1.01' patch?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Okay.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
thats better :)

i actually voted no, because i was thinking there were no serious non-monetary exploits...but there are a TON of training exploits so it should be reset :)

Kamer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think a reset should be issued, there have been alot of exploits and stuff that people that advantage of, resetting would be the best option for balancing reasons.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If it will get us past MS.DLL version G - by all means.

I can't play on version G. ><

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
??? No PLEASE don't! If people want to delete their characters they can just delete them manually. I really REALLY don't want to do everything all over again as I have been playing by myself.

I have had enough char deletions in the game itself (thankfully I have been backing them up recently) having a perma char deletion from the devs themselves would crush me.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeh i know what you mean:(
but looks like we have no chaice...the annoying thing is the wait...
how long can it take before the reset comes?

deadvoices

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If it gets the patch done quicker with less chance off bugs, I would be happily lvling magic so I can strike you all down!

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
vertthrasher said:
??? No PLEASE don't! If people want to delete their characters they can just delete them manually. I really REALLY don't want to do everything all over again as I have been playing by myself.

I have had enough char deletions in the game itself (thankfully I have been backing them up recently) having a perma char deletion from the devs themselves would crush me.

People don't "want" their characters deleted, you are missing the point.

A perma-deletion would crush you? Thing is, since your character is a client side character and not a FN character (playing by yourself) you don't have to worry about it because you don't rely on other people's servers. Just simply don't update if it will "crush" you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, it will wipe out the client side characters too.

The wipe isn't being done on the [FN] end - the wipe is being done by changeing the character format.

If you don't update, however, in theory, you can still use your old characters - perhaps even those on Fuznet. So long as you don't play on any updated servers.

PS. Please make any future character format expandable - so if, in the future, you want to add, for instance, multiple races - you can do so without another character wipe.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I was actually implying that he wouldn't have to update since he plays on his own anyways, I will edit to make it more clear.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How about a program that converts old format to new, for people w/ clientside/personal central servers?!

make everyone happy...

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
HomestarR said:
vertthrasher said:

People don't "want" their characters deleted, you are missing the point.

A perma-deletion would crush you? Thing is, since your character is a client side character and not a FN character (playing by yourself) you don't have to worry about it because you don't rely on other people's servers. Just simply don't update if it will "crush" you.

Yeah thats a sweet solution, just don't install it and don't fix the bugs... good idea! NOT! I really don't understand why its so hard to delete characters yourself if you want. It takes 2 clicks. (or use a new slot) If you play on a specific server then it is the servers decision. But let people who still want their characters to play with them. Its pretty simple, people can use new characters if they want anytime, any place, any server. But if they perma delete your character and make backups unusable then you can't play with that character. Not deleting them is a win win situation for everyone, deleting them is a win loss situation.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
You might not be a mass user of exploits, but there are others who gain(ed) unfair advantages over other players, which is annoying and... unfair (duh ^ 2). To kill everything that's unfair, a character wipe might (and most likely will) occur.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
vertthrasher, you are COMPLETELY missing the point!

I am not a retard who can't figure out how to delete my character. The deletion would be to get rid of all characters, including the exploited characters. It isn't a matter of wanting our characters deleted, it is a matter of getting rid of exploited characters. You fail to understand the reason behind character deletions. You think they are going to do a game-wide character wipe because they just want to? That is all I get out of your posts, that you are under that impression. Which honestly, says much for your reasoning abilities.

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My reasoning abilities are fine jack, I have a 4.5gpa. Your reasoning abilities seem a bit off due to the fact that the servers themselves can delete the characters who play on their own servers if they want to. Use common sense. If the servers themselves have a problem with anyone using exploits, they can delete it themselves. It isn't that difficult! I am not missing any point, it seems to me that you fail to understand how the new save system works. No one can just randomly come into anyone elses server with some exploited character unless their own character is clientside and the server itself is clientside. In which case, the server/people in it probably don't care how good or bad your character is.

You and J-M also talk about exploits to gain unfair advantages. The only exploits I have even heard of was the helena money exploit (which was fixed almost immediately), and the parry exploit with the rats in the pool. Even IF a ton of people used those and gained "unfair advantages". Three or Four days after the mass character deletion, the variety of different skill levels would be astronomical between different players in various servers. In the end, its just wasting peoples time. The people who do have problems with exploits in their servers can deal with it on their own. We don't need the devs to treat us like babies and make these kind of choices for us. Wasn't this the entire reason behind serverside/central servers in the first place? I would be 1/2 and 1/2 if they used the old save system because then exploited characters would be a constant problem for all servers.

The fact of the matter is, I am not missing the point at all. I understand the point perfectly, and you are not even trying to comprehend my arguement to the slightest extent. It's just that people can't stop and think for 2 freaking seconds of a solution that fits everyone. The server operator is running the show. Everyone else who comes into that server are guests and should respect what the server admin says/does. If the server admin thinks there is no problem with exploits, fine. If he does, then he can delete everyone for a fresh start. PROBLEM SOLVED. It's not like people from that server can run rampant over other servers and start causing trouble. Im not sure exactly how central servers work, but again, it's the problem of whoever is running the central server. I assume the central server is something run by the devs (but I really have no clue), therefore, I could care less what they do to central server characters.

deadvoices

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure, but can't you load up an old version of ms:c and setup a server connecting to the central server and use your char and get money? But there are many exploits...

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
vertthrasher said:
...The only exploits I have even heard of was the helena money exploit (which was fixed almost immediately), and the parry exploit with the rats in the pool...

And the two chests in challs that have nice items everytime and arn't very well gaurded.

And the sythe with the 1 mile reach.

And the monsters that spawn in the ceiling.

And the crazy wizard bug.

:roll:

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Crow said:
vertthrasher said:
...The only exploits I have even heard of was the helena money exploit (which was fixed almost immediately), and the parry exploit with the rats in the pool...

And the two chests in challs that have nice items everytime and arn't very well gaurded.

And the sythe with the 1 mile reach.

And the monsters that spawn in the ceiling.

And the crazy wizard bug.

:roll:

I don't understand how you consider the chests in challs to be a bug. Maybe a development decision error, but not a bug.

Sythe (I dont think that's spelled right) is indeed a bug I forgot about, but freaking seriously do you think it has affected people that much?

Monsters spawning in the ceiling works AGAINST the player because you can't reach them. Besides its not like calrains feet are in the ceiling for free slashing until he dies without him touching you once. Most of the time you can actually hit them they are just rats and bats.

I have no idea what the crazy wizard bug is, but it doesn't sound that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.