Charge attacks

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Would it be possible to implement a toggleable charge level caps?

Ex. You have 34 sword, and the Blood Drinker, and you "cap" it at the first charge level so it stays on the first charge bar and doesn't go into the second, so that you can hold attack without risking an accidental throw.

An auto-charge attack key would also be handy.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... It *might* be possible from the code side - although I can't think of a convenient or intuitive way it could be done. Best I think I could do, would be to make a console command that locked your charge level at a designated power. eg. "lock 1". You'd have to work out the binds yourself.

We *do* have an auto-charge attack key of sorts. Check keyboard options. (+special - or activate extras.cfg, and use +uber)

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I actually meant something along the lines of a bind that allowed you to just hold a key while your character charges their weapon and attacks.

Ex.- Holding a key charges your weapon to the first level, then attacks, and repeats, without you letting go of the key.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
+uber works along those lines, but it will not let you charge to a specific level - you just have to release the key when your bar reaches desired color.

...I've suddenly noticed that +special isn't in the changelog for some reason. >_>

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I must be being terribly unclear or something, sorry. :oops:

+uber- Attacks, and allows you to charge your attack when you press the selected button, instead of having to click twice. Releasing the button yields the charged attack.

+newbind- Attacks, then starts a cycle of charging your attack to a specific level or for a certain amount of time (whichever is easier to script), then releases the charged attack, then charges your attack to the specific level again or for a certain amount of time, then releases the charged attack again, etc, all without releasing the button.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I was with you up until you got to automagically attacking without releasing the button, which, because of the way attack registration works, I don't think can be done (gotta release the button to register a charged attack). Almost none of this can be done on the scripting end in anycase.

Best I could do, assuming I one day get the code archive from MiB so I can make code contributions again, is make a client-side cvar or command where you can limit the level you can charge to, and then use +uber to charge to said level, to prevent accidental throws, lighting waves, and such.

I don't much like the charge system myself... Be nice if we had a better way of achieving that effect. Back in ye old days we had movement combos for special moves, but those can be messed up by lag as well.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
A bit off topic, but does anyone remember any of the old movement combos for special attacks? The only one I can (sorta) remember is blocking with the longsword, which was either forward>back>attack or back>forward>attack, I think.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Granted all they did was change hit chance and damage very slightly.

The club was the best for that, had like 6 moves. ;)

I remember a few, I think these applied to both the SB and the club:
+attack, +back, wait, +forward, -attack - Forward Thrust (Think reduced hit chance, increase damage)
+attack, double left, double right, -attack - Swipe (Visa versa)
...Most of the others work along those lines.