Clientside glow.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
It'd be nice to have a clientside variable that made it so only your characters glow rendered, and nobody elses. I'm really tired of people ruining the atmosphere of a level for me because there is ONE section in the whole level that is dark and even then it's usually not even that dark.

Also maybe it could save memory or something, plus seeing everyone's glow sticking around in a random spot with tork projectiles is a little obnoxious.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
At the very least a softer, yellower color would be nice.

Or "glowcolor R G B" hehe.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'll look into adding a cvar for disabling other players' lights - though it'll only apply to lights that attach to them, not fire arrows, spells (other than glow), and the like (also likely not being on fire). r_dynamic 0 already disables all dynamic lighting, but probably not what you want.

For the color - the glow spell retains its scaling for this reason - should be off yellow about 75% to its max. Dunno if I could add yet another cvar for the color used at max, but it wouldn't affect other levels of glow (that'd be tricky), and wouldn't work if you lacked the skill to reach max glow.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Cool, cool. Removing other players glow is enough really. Though, being high enough level to customize your glow would be a treat. What level does glow cap at?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Though, being high enough level to customize your glow would be a treat. What level does glow cap at?
I suspect not all players would feel that way, dun much appreciate being blind in games myself, though it's SC10 (maybe actually 9, looking at the formula), capping at pure white with a 384 unit radius. Though, looking at the formula, I think it actually favors red, then blue, then green, meaning 75% of max would likely be off-blue rather than off-yellow (and of course, low level being nearly all red). Was so long ago we set that up, not sure if intentional, save the red, which was designed to make it fairly spooky/useless at the lowest levels. (There is, of course, always the Felewyn Ring, which offers a fixed soft yellow glow.)

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that it has a different color depending on intensity. SC 9/10 isn't hard to reach though.

I used to be all about Felewyn's light. Like 8 years ago when I wasn't carrying around lots of items.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Felewyn's light could use a rework/reforge. I don't know how many fingers can be used to place rings in this game, but i bet there aren't enough rings to use them all yet.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
You can wear 10 rings, if I remember correctly.

I'd double check but as of an hour ago MS:C crashed and nuked all of my keybinds and configs entirely and is crashing constantly.

:')