Community poll #2 - The inventory system

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
In the first poll we discussed the root leveling and item system of the mod. It can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8634

In this poll we have opened yet another important feature up for discussion and suggestion. Tell us your opinion on how the inventory should work. We have two possible systems planned, but you may suggest your own if you want. We're listening.

Tell us which of these systems you prefer:

*System #1: A single backpack, limited only by the amount of weight you can carry. (Like Oblivion)

*System #2: Multiple packs including backpacks, sheaths and quivers with individual weight limits. (Like MS:C)

*System #3: Insert your own idea or suggestion here

------------------------------------
To get the ball rolling here are a few of the pros and cons of systems 1 and 2 complete with illustrations. Credit goes to my brother for the sketches.

System #1 - A single large backpack
The good
1. All of your items will be in one place.
5861582462_efa81245cf_m.jpg
2. You can carry as much as you are strong enough to hold.
5861029981_c741cf7980_m.jpg
3. You do not need to purchase additional space or upgrade your inventory.
5861582120_5ed9cc67aa_m.jpg

The bad
1. There can be a lot of clutter and scrolling down long lists of items involved.
5861581848_3c405a9147_m.jpg
2. It does not make logical sense to throw swords, apples and potions in the same bag.
5861029033_2bd1ff19af_m.jpg

System #2 - Multiple packs
The good
1. This style of inventory is somewhat unique and exciting.
5861582014_6587477de7_m.jpg
2. It adds RPG elements like limited space and potential for upgrades.
5861029909_9d1d87edf2_m.jpg
3. It divides your items into logical categories. (For example: arrows go in a quiver.)
5861029519_a5116cd989_m.jpg

The bad
1. Keeping track of multiple packs can become cumbersome.
5861582844_cbb99fd19a_m.jpg
2. You may run out of room for items even before your weight hits the maximum.
5861582378_fd10a45134_m.jpg

------------------------------------

In addition to the inventory system the community decides on, all characters will have a "toolbelt". This container will hold a small number of items for the purpose of hotkeys and quick access. The toolbelt will be present no matter which of the above (or suggested) systems is added.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Whatever the outcome may be, I sure as hell hope that the # of items you can stuff in your backpack *or* the selection of packs you have is public info, or better yet: Shown to you in-game.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
I'd choose #2. Because we all love MSC how it is :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Frankly, I think the whole weight-based inventory system is a waste of time. A rather pathetic attempt to hold "realism" over actual functional game play.

The only reason MSC still has a weight based system, is that it serves as an anti-twink mechanism for items beyond the character's current level. We've no good way to prevent a player from equipping certain items. This should not be required when coding a game from scratch, provided you don't make the same oversight.

So long as items, just sitting in inventory, can have no affect on the game, the player should be able to carry as many as he wishes, or at least, as many as the character file can keep track of without going wonky.

A weight based system discourages trade, and causes players to make more trips to town than need be, effectively taking them out of the game. This would be fine in a pay-to-play MORPG, where we indeed would make a profit based on forcing you to waste time, but it is not advantageous in a free mod.

Additionally, in an MS style mod, the player that wants to go to town to dump stuff is going to annoy all the players around him who want to spend time actually playing.

There's also the Diablo drag-and-drop inventory, that somehow got left out of the options list. Such systems at least give you some "feel" for how your equipment goes together, but they have the same limitations. Items merely sitting in inventory can affect the character in Diablo, however, so the inventory limitation is required in that game. In single player games, which Diablo was originally designed to be, choosing which loot you want to sacrifice is usually part of the game mechanic - there is no need for this to be the case in a multi-player trading environment, and as I said earlier, it is actually detrimental to it.

A categorized list, like Oblivion, works fine... It is, in the end, the same as separate sheaths/packs, it's just the sheaths are provided, and you select them at the bottom of the inventory page. But the way Oblivion works inventory limitations, is really detrimental in a multi-player world, and making inventory size dependant on Strength, further pigeon holes character types.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TL;DR: "Wow, I found the Heavy Claymore of God Slaying! I'm an INT centered wizard build, but my buddy Golthar the Mighty would love to have this!... Wait... It weighs 200lbs! I'd have to drop all my spell books and five of my wands just to pick this damn thing up! Eff that..."

Meanwhile, elsewhere, in Golthar's mind, "Man, I'm hauling around like 50 spell books now. Damn mages never seem to have anything good to trade."

Thus, weight limited inventory bad. Better to limit by number of items, so said example wizard could just drop an MP pot, if there is to be any limit at all.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
System #2, kinda agree with thothie there.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I would like to see kind of #1 and #2 combined.

Sort of like MMO inventories where you purchase more bags and that essentially means more pop up when you press "I". Though instead of them being all just general a storage bags, if they were weapon holsters, quivers, spellbooks and stuff they would still serve a unique purpose. It would just be nice to be able to have them all appear open at the same time.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I really don't mind having to dig in my inventory for items as long as its not DURING combat that I need to do it. Quickslots are a must :wink:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Whatever the outcome may be, I sure as hell hope that the # of items you can stuff in your backpack *or* the selection of packs you have is public info, or better yet: Shown to you in-game.

Don't worry, it will.

jack hawkins

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I vote

*System #2: Multiple packs including backpacks, sheaths and quivers with individual weight limits. (Like MS:C)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PS. If you go with a list system, I'd like to see it better categorized than Oblivion's. eg. Weapon subcategories would be nice (swords/blunts/daggers, spells by school, etc.), additionally sorted by descending value, as you are most likely to be looking for your priciest weapons first, with an additional option to sort alphabetically.

Icons are all well and good, but unless you make them huge, like in MSC (which, I think we're all in agreement, you absolutely must not do), identifying weapons by icon, beyond type, is going to be neigh impossible, or involve an awful lot of squinting. Besides, I suspect a text list will be much easier to code up than an icon-based inventory system. Having it also sort items, shouldn't add much work.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'm working on the inventory systems as we speak. The assumption we're working under is that the system is going to be discrete slots. Brian's inventory system had some flaws and I'm looking to address, namely desynch between the VGUI panel and the inventory on the player class.