Compile error (NON-MSC related)

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Well when I downloaded the Quake 1 .map files, I thought I would mess around and make it a Half-Life compatible map. When I deleted all of the unnecessary entities, made sure there were no missing textures, added monsters and stuff as a test, then when I compiled it i got this:

2uZOC.png

I've never seen this before, any help? And I've tried to compile it before I did anything to it and it did the same exact thing.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Bad .fgd file? That's my best guess.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Well the second half of the error also makes me think you named an entity with a quotation mark in the name..
(which is invalid? never did it)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tempted to move to off topic - but ("I deleted all of the unnecessary entities") how did you strip out the entities of the map, exactly? If you're doing it manually, or via Ripent, or some such, you clearly you messed up a quote or a bracket somewhere, and have wound up with an invalid entity table.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
I opened up Entity Report in hammer, selected all the entities I didn't need, and deleted them. Even before i did all that the map wouldn't compile anyways.... hmm

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Quake1.map file... Different format? You'll have to manually edit the .map file via text editor of choice, if it is... But if it loads in hammer... Hrmm... I'd have to see the file/RMF or something.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
franky200 said:
I opened up Entity Report in hammer, selected all the entities I didn't need, and deleted them. Even before i did all that the map wouldn't compile anyways.... hmm

you said, that other maps work using the same fgd, go through their entity lists and see which entity your using in that map that your not in the others maybe? (also if i did read the words quake1 map. the fgd's are slightly different between q1 and hl1.)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Oh! This pesky error, Did you happen to put any quotations inside any of the entities?

Say like a messege entity saying "Hello adventurer. This is a bunch of words inside quotations" (I know it's not msc related but my point is still valid)

I know your kinda not supposed to use quotations EVER in entities since it will screw up the compiler. :p

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
furion001 said:
I know your kinda not supposed to use quotations EVER in entities since it will screw up the compiler. :p
It should work with
Code:
\"Hello Adventurer\"
should'nt it?

Anyways, have fun searching all the entitys for that! :D