Crazy's Contribution Journal

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
With a surge of activity and motivation from the community I have made this thread as to log my contributions in one single area, rather than posting all over the place like a total forumscrub. I'll try not to spoil things, but I constantly ponder for feedback. I'd like to thank Box and Pike for there recent activities as it keeps me motivated. The more the merrier I think.

Flat Hatchet. Could be used for throwing or small 1Hnd melee.

http://i.imgur.com/KqB3riP.png

(increased brightness and contrast on axe to show up on black background better, distorts color slightly)

oNe6tDL.png

Pike

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, cool looking hatchet you've got there :D Good job getting that unwrapping sorted out! You must have powered through that face-headache? lol

Unwrapping is a pain, and takes time to figure out. Now when I start a model I'm trying to think ahead to make unwrapping easier, just because it's so much more difficult than the actual modeling.

I also think feedback is important to grow! I like what you have done, and I'm certainly no industry pro, self taught, but practicing for about 15-20 years or so. Wireframe view also helps a lot with critiquing. Just two things I noticed:

I noticed that the curve and bevel at the bottom of the handle appears to be tapered backwards from the way most (but not all) hatchets appear. What I mean is the curve usually presses into the back of your fingers instead of to your thumb.

I'd also say good job on getting it so low poly, you've done so well in that regard that I think you could spend some extra polies to add some more shape to the head of the hatchet (especially if this is to be a view model that will be really close to the camera for a really long time.) The cutting edge of to blade in particular looks fairly flat. If you image.google.com "hatchet" it looks like generally they have more curve, especially toward the bottom of the striking surface. I think this is to make striking easier and avoid the tool jerking in your hand if you don't strike exactly flat.

All just my opinion. Again, good work, keep it up :?

Pike

PS. Helmets are looking good so far. They almost look modular, like you could mix and match parts. That'd be a really good idea.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
http://i.imgur.com/HzhUnGX.png
Updated the hatchet a wee bit making better edges and rendered with mental.
Lemme know if this is more satisfying and where it may fail Pike. I want to dirty that wood texture a bit.

Next project is to animate a spell tomb until it looks so awesome.
Open the pages individually and rapidly.

and to Box; what say you about this mechanic?:

I was thinking even that PC could like hold out their customized spell book, and flip through using the scroll wheels or numbers to a particular page with that page having an individual look of the spell. Then imagine emitters of awesomeness and maybe spell pages flipping like crazy if its like a one time use of the spellbook spell then close or something like that.
Like wouldn't holding a spell book take one hand and then cast with the other? But if its a powerful spell you channel it all the pages flip and look cool, you put the book away and could have two hands for the animation if required.

Pike & Box:
Hands though? do we need new hands or are we using current hands? I wanna do some hand animations.

Pike

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Nice! Looks really good. I didn't realize the textures were WIP. The hatchet head looks great now. The shape of the handle looks great, and I'm sure the dirt you plan to put on will make it look really realistic.

The hands we have now are WIP ones that BoX has made. I don't think we're at the point yet to need more than this set, because we'll have to match them to the player models anyway, once we get player models going. I was starting to plan for player models, but haven't actually started modeling anything yet.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Creating a spell book slowly but surely. It's actually my first rig. (besides the other ones today)

Side Screenshot :
http://i.imgur.com/BQzTcZU.png

2 Second Clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ef48JK ... e=youtu.be

I have to work that page again. I had such a hard time making the bones begin the mirror and i wanted to take a break from that and learn to export videos in the meantime. Break and comeback. I'll probably have to remake the page. So that there are some sort of grabbers on the corners so i can grab by the corner and then together and have it rest nicely on the otherside.

*textures off deviantart and googz.

Pike

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
That's actually quite good! I can see where you're heading with it. The textures look quite cool as well. Did you draw them?

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Deviant art. But I'm going to improve and make varients in photoshop. The spellbook texture is someones halloweend prop.

I'm gonna make colored runes for the pages for each spell.

Pike

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ah, they look nice. Not sure if we should be 'lifting' anything that will actually be content for the game. As I understand it MSC is trying to now get rid of it's lifted content to go for a greenlight. If MSS even wanted to greenlight it'd be nice to have all original content.

ps. http://cgtextures.com/ is an excellent source of free textures. I recognize a lot of them from halflife and l4d infact.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I used all my allocation from CG ;'(

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I will be original in the end.

Pike

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ah OK, you seem to know all the tips already :) I usually download lower res textures when I know I'll be under a certain size. (Ie I don't need 1600x1600 to make a 1024x texture) and I think it resets daily?

Good work so far, animations aren't easy to do.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
hmm it just so happens I need some images like that for something. I need some runes and symbols and such. Can I use some of these, and can you find more?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
What Gory said. Don't walk on that path... It will be a pain in the ass down the road. :wink:

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Doooont worry. Originals will be made.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, I *think* some of those are rendered from Obsidian Dawn's collection, and we actually have permissions for those in MSC (just, never got around to actually using them), so I think it's safe to assume it can be used in MSS as well, if that's actually where they're from.

Here's a collection of those, plus some lore related circles OC, as well as some of the PD artwork that was used to create them (complete with license info):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/lore_symbols.rar

I think one of the licenses forbids vector artwork reproductions, but Source doesn't really support vector formats, SFAIK (maybe dicey, if you made it into a model, rather than a texture, but even then... Wouldn't preserve vector curves, so ya'd probably be good.)

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
wow Thothie this is great news.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Box, you tell me what you need it to be like and i can use the ones thothie said we can use, or develop a precise one you need, or a combo wombo.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Iron Swords

Balance versions?
Yo know like dark iron sword?
Dark one ways a lot and does like extra damage.
Light one weighs less.
I donno, food for thought.

http://i.imgur.com/FEAQ4tQ.png

FEAQ4tQ.png

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Dagger

http://i.imgur.com/ij3831r.png

Item Suggestions ::
Name ::Twisted Fate
Type :: Dagger 1 Handed Piercing.
Origin :: unknown
Used by : Cultist//Demon
Abilties :: Passive - 1% damage lifesteal?
Secondary : A long thrust with a long charge that if killing the target gives a larger % boost of health
Increased Parry?

ij3831r.png