Damaged {Masked Textures

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's a lot of messed up masked textures in the game (the blue-screened ones starting with "{"). I think this is a result of either DrKill or Ewok doing some texture conversions. A lot of those muxed textures wound up in AllInOne.wad, and several more are in Daragoth.wad.

If you use them, the blue bits will render visible, regardless of the render-type of the brush.

Here's a wad file with replacements for most all the offending textures:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/fixed_solid_render.rar

You can use wally to replace any duplicate textures in your wads, or you can *attempt* to arrange your textures in such a way that this one gets priority, thus it will replace any muxed up ones.

One I've not been able to find a replacement for (nor have I taken the time to manually fix) is:
{jap_tree2

Another common foe is:
{tree_ladder
I've not fixed this one, because which texture {tree_ladder is actually supposed to be varies from map to map.

How do I Tell if a {Masked Texture is Wrong?

If you open said texture in Wally, you can see its palette in the right hand pain. There should be no blue entries in the right hand pane, with the exception of the very last entry.

RIGHT:
solid_right.gif

WRONG:
solid_wrong.gif

In this case it looks as though the file was transfered from a lossy format (eg. JPG) or scaled. Another common mistake in palette building you'll see is the very first color in the palette being set blue, instead of the last.

(On a side note, the last color doesn't necessarily have to be blue, but it does have to be the intended transparent color and, ideally, nothing close to it should exist anywhere else in the palette.)

If some of the visible brush is actually blue (such as with icicles), there maybe some shades of blue in the palette that are legit, but in the vast majority of cases, it's an indication of an illegit {solid texture.