DarkWasp's maps (WIP/Application)

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I decided to work in segments instead of laying out a full map because I can pay a lot of attention to detail, other mappers could combine my segment into a larger map if it fits, and also so that the map doesn't actually have an official MSS area tied to it yet. When theres no MSS area tied to it that means you guys can tell me what you need done and I can craft the surroundings around it.

AKA: It could be a small town (which i'd add a few more houses then create a neighbor segment with shops and stuff), the residential corner of a city (Put a lot more houses in, put walls in the neighboring segments), or some random hermit's house (Add more nature, neighboring segments would be more landscape, maybe with a cave.)

Its up to you, what do you need?

Here's a ground picture. (House exterior isnt the finished product BTW)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4972/townsegment0000.jpg

And heres the whole layout from the top. (I dont know what's causing the two square shadows yet)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7392/townsegment0001.jpg

The images were a little big for img tags, i'll fix that next time I take screenshots

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*drooool*

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the grass texture also. Maybe you could use a blend texture and paint on some patches of soil or something. That's just me though :p

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Oh AND! Make sure you didn't "box" that map, the main problem being that the bottom brush sealing the map being textured with a sky texture. If it does have the sky texture on it, then the displacements will be lit from underneath and the top would look all f**ked up, since they don't block light.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
First off, nice work! I really like the architecture on the house.
Those shadows are a mystery to me as well... =/
We have lots of custom grass and blend textures that Rickler made for us before he left. Before we would put your map in game we would completely overhaul the textures.

That looks like it could be a portion of the dangerous pass, between Helena and Keledros' Palace.
I definitely like what I see so far, and I would like to see you expand it ;)
Take what you have there, jump into MS:C, take a look around the dangerous pass (keledrosprelude2), and show me what you can do! =)

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Alot of the map is bare right now because I need the space to add more houses if I need to.

The grass is a blend texture, and as far as I know the defaults for ep2 don't really throw much better than that in there.

As for the detail props, as a bit of a mapping old-timer I had no clue that they had a sprite feature. Is there an easier tutorial on them?

EDIT: The map is kind of boxed but its temporary. Since the map has no ends and the displacements have to be higher than the solid brushes (the road) that means the side skybox blocks do dip under them. There is no skybox blocks on the bottom though.

EDIT2:
thesupersoup said:
jump into MS:C, take a look around the dangerous pass (keledrosprelude2), and show me what you can do! =)

Sounds good, how similar to the MSC map do you want it? Should it have close to the same layout, or just the same feel?

Also what would a house be doing out there?

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Im going to be gone for a few days, but I have the cave entrance done for the most part (the one from the front of the map).

I've honestly never done the inside of a cave before though, anyone got any advice?

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
land001.jpg

I was quite proud of my genious idea to have the roots hanging from the top of the cave.

land002.jpg

land003.jpg

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Looks nice, once you have proper textures!

A good method for the inside of caves is to think of a square, which is how big you want the cave to be, and surround that with 4 brushes (with their edges meeting!) Now select the 4 inside faces, make them a displacement with the power setting of your choosing, and subdivide. Now you have a great base to work with for caves!

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Im trying not to spend too much time on the blends while im just demonstrating my map. Because these arent the final textures.

Even if i get on the team, we'll eventually need some dedicated nature artists textures/models/and effects.

(Im currently using orange dustmotes as placeholders for falling leaves. For the monent they look quite nice.)