Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ye old October bugs be here

:arrow: = Working on it, :?: = wtf/unconfirmed, :idea: = fixed next release

Known issues
MAJOR
:arrow: Still getting No Free Edict Errors
- This is the #1 thing preventing an MSC 1.1 full release, IMO.
- Actually I just *assume* we still are, as I've not taken any new steps against it this month.
- TBH, I've no idea where to even start, as I can't even figure a way to get a dependable edict count.
:idea: Bug where all players are required to touch proper transition on gauntlet maps (should only require 1)

MINOR
:idea: Some monsters cropping up invulnerable
:idea: Ice shield only being able to cast once
:idea: Lightning storm/Chain Lightning not working
:idea: Orionbow god-like
:idea: Dorfgan not giving rewards on old_helena
:arrow: Sploitz in Daragoth
:idea: Helena->Keledrosprelude transition goes to Keledrosprelude1
:idea: Bug with monsters not responding proper to Siege Map mode
:idea: Novablade Volcano not sustaining
:idea: Bugged lodagond chests
:idea: Fixed bug with Semblin's name-change script taking every subsequent chat line as a new name change
- If ye got nailed by this bug, give me a heads up, I maybe able to fix ye.
- Also fixed a limitation where Semblin couldn't tell who was talking to him
- In JAN2008a, if someone else says "Penis" while yer telling him yer new name, he will kindly tell them to STFU
:idea: Bolt bundles have no gravity
:idea: J-M shall no longer recieve 0's

Aesthetic
:arrow: Gladiator armor displays as Orochi's jacket to other players
- Something similar with Armor of Bravery.
- Basically, we need a new armor system. Only the gods know when we'll have time to test that.
:idea: Poison reports giving funky messages

Ancient/Perpetual
Known Ancient bugs:
- People still can get stuck in each other on spawns. (Partly Map Flaw)
- Swimming in waterfalls (Map flaw - although deliberate on the new Helena).
- Map crash on transition (memory dealocation error). (use AMX and Restarter as workaround)
- Become invisible when putting on armor (armor display bug work around, type 'vis' in console)
- Unable to chat after some people disconnect bug. (suggest votemap workaround - or the fake client AMX plugin)
- All entities invisible bug (type kill in console to cure).
- Lights/sprites not going away / sticking to other objects
- Occasionally a weapon/spell will stop doing damage until it is unequipped then re-equipped.
- Menu-based vote kick system does not work proper (use ms_allowkickvote 0, and use the AMX kick system instead [votekick in chat])
- Occasional scrambled inventory: wearing potions/scrolls, etc. Usually caused by clicking on a character multiple times before load.
- Can't use charge attack in laggy conditions. (Work around: look at the floor and pray.)
- Sitting animation bugs (sometimes saves to character for awhile)
- XP system is screwy, to say the least. (DOT not passing XP, wrong XP values sometimes return, etc. etc.)
- All water sometimes goes white (texture stretch bug, restart)
- Mod_ExtraData Cacheing Failed: Listen servers must start on Edana, from there you can changelevel anywhere you want.
- Typing issues in chat. Especially with European keyboards.
- Matching elemental resistances do not stack and will cancel one another out. (Not so much a bug, so much as a limitation and reminder of said - might find away around this in the future).

Also Not liable to go away soon:
- Some monsters still capable of some acts while frozen (jumping, etc.)
- Orion Bow jamming sometimes, (I've no idea how to fix this without dropping the whole charged weapon concept.)

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just from 20 minutes of playing, I've gathered that

A) For some reason chain lightning doesn't fire off (was using a scroll). I'm not even sure if it was taking the mana (was playing old_helena so couldn't keep a close eye on it) so i've no clue whats happening here.

B) Blizzard now passes through enemies and only fires off when landing on the ground. (May have to do with the orion ball now not poofing when hitting an enemy?)

Haven't had time to test things multiple times yet, but both of these were noticeable even after the first few frustrating seconds of casting them.

Edit #1: 2nd chance to play

Chain lightning confirmed to take mana but not actually attack/fire off the spell.
Blizzard does infact pass through monsters and only fires off the actual spell when hitting the ground or a wall.

Zygoli's chest drops when he spawns, with stuff actually inside it.

Jon said you couldn't do anything about the eye hit boxes. Maybe slow them down a tad? I don't see people without orions and blizzard/Freezing sphere or speed pots being able to keep all 4 down at lvl 25 (as a group even it's horrible).

Orion bow needs to be clamed down a little. It is currently just bowling over enemies with no problem. Dunno if you intended for it to be this strong, but with enough mana pots, old_helena could be won with just the orion >.>.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Zygoli's chest drops when he spawns, with stuff actually inside it.
LostCaverns has not been released yet. Don't play that alpha version on FN.

Jon said you couldn't do anything about the eye hit boxes. Maybe slow them down a tad? I don't see people without orions and blizzard/Freezing sphere or speed pots being able to keep all 4 down at lvl 25 (as a group even it's horrible).
Zygoli got pwned in testing, but he should be difficult, if not impossible, to solo.

Orion bow needs to be clamed down a little. It is currently just bowling over enemies with no problem. Dunno if you intended for it to be this strong, but with enough mana pots, old_helena could be won with just the orion >.>.
I'd like to see that. ;)

A) For some reason chain lightning doesn't fire off (was using a scroll). I'm not even sure if it was taking the mana (was playing old_helena so couldn't keep a close eye on it) so i've no clue whats happening here.
Will examine.

B) Blizzard now passes through enemies and only fires off when landing on the ground. (May have to do with the orion ball now not poofing when hitting an enemy?)
This change had to be made as part of the effort to fix the XP for it. You just have to take this behavior into account when aiming.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
for some reason some orc stormers in old helena turned invincible so we couldnt beat the map.

An thraxis is right, orion bow is raping bosses and enemies alike (too much DOt?)

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Okay so maybe the Orion isn't THAT powerful due to the mana drain and time it would take to recharge the mana, but it's taking down granux in a few shots. multiple (3+ from what i've heard so far) damages at around 120 - 180 (depending on the person). I don't think it should be THAT powerful as people are still just hording the stormers and charging one big ball and killing all of them in 1 hit -.-

Anyway even better news than overpowered weapons of dewm is that it doesn't one shot the invinceable orc stormers that sometimes pop up on Old_Helena.

So far they have come 2 out of 5 times between your server and the revolution server.

Lightning storm sometimes not registering it's hits at all, have to cast multiple times for it to start working, hits slower than before.

Helena2 reporting that it might not be accepted on FN

And possibly take lostcaverns off your server then so people don't go play it?

Edit!: Dorfgan not giving any reward, nor even being useable to be able to trade what he has after map is finished in old_helena.

Picadilly

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts but:

1.) The item/weight counter isn't showing up in the top left for me anymore when a spell is prepped.

2.) Ice shield casts flawlessly, but when it collapses, you can't recast until you die.
A.) It gives that "breaking glass" sound and animation, but when you try
to reapply, it says you're already shielded.
B.) When you die, the status window tells you that your shield has
collapsed. After respawn you can cast again.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Bug report: People think the Orion bow is overpowered.

Bug report: Demonicus was just invincible. Also, based on what FER said about invincible orc stormers, I have come to the conclusion that the Ice Reaver Patriarch (Maldora's Pet) has been giving away his hacks to other monsters.

Bug report: Lightning storm also does not seem to work, but I'm not really sure on this.

But report: Whenever a trained bandit archer hits me (this was in the_keep) and poisons me, I get a message similar to "You have been EFFECT_PLAYER_<something>". Instead of "poisoned" it says some code language thingy.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't know if this can even be recreated but I was using my Flamelick and U.Shield and some how my shield wouldn't unwield when I pressed q. I had to "block" first, then put it away.

It was like I was stuck in my block stance and could only reset it by actually blocking.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
J-M, dunno, Orion is hard as hell to get, but still, killing Ice bone lord with two fully charged mana balls seems like too much (hit 120-160damage 3 times or more)

EDIT: P, that happened before this new update

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
re: Invulnerable Monsters

Been getting multiple reports of invulnerable monsters cropping up on random maps. Lovely new bug that I’ve no idea where it came from.

The fact that I just implemented a system to make the killtarget against monsterspawns NOT have that effect suggests it might be responsible, but looking at it, I don’t see how. It merely tells the monster when his monsterspawn has been removed.

Kinda wondering if, when this happens, does one ever see the monster play it’s death animation, and then just get back up afterwards?

Also, for those of you who have bloodstones and can tell: do the monsters start invulnerable? Or do they reach 0 hp and just stay there?

re: Orion Bow

Like I said in the betapack thread, it should take 10 seconds to do a max of 360hp damage per target, but if it’s allowing more than that, somethin’ be up. I shall look into it. (Was working in testing though.) :/

re: Lightning Storm

Will look into. (Also was working in testing.) :/ x2

re: Helena2 not accepted on FN
It isn’t. Please delete your alpha-pack maps.

Lostcaverns has been updated, go download it. (I still need to link it up on my page though.)

re: Dorfgan not giving any reward
re: Ice shield casts flawlessly, but when it collapses, you can't recast until you die.
re: You have been EFFECT_PLAYER_<something>
:| Shall look into.

P|Barnum said:
I don't know if this can even be recreated but I was using my Flamelick and U.Shield and some how my shield wouldn't unwield when I pressed q. I had to "block" first, then put it away.

It was like I was stuck in my block stance and could only reset it by actually blocking.
Category of ancient “weapons locking up” bug. MiB took a stab at it to no avail, sfaik. :\

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
My fix was for an exploit - I don't think the two things were closely related enough for one to fix the other.

Edit: Oh, and as you said, it worked in testing :\

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Thothie said:
- Orion Bow jamming sometimes, (I've no idea how to fix this without dropping the whole charged weapon concept.)

You can press 3, then put your Orion Bow into strap/quiver if you are afraid of bandits.

EDIT: I got two Lesser bags of holdning, and I got no weight at ALL.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Also, for those of you who have bloodstones and can tell: do the monsters start invulnerable? Or do they reach 0 hp and just stay there?
I joined the_keep when the party was already in full swing (Demonicus was already at 0 HP), and whenever I'd hit Demonicus, a totally empty health bar would display. So yes, Demonicus (and probably every other monster affected by this bug) reached 0 HP and didn't feel like dying.

And even the OMG-HOLY-CRAP-OVERPOWERED-KILL-ME-NOW Orion bow did not work.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
re: Invulnerable Monsters

iirc they reach 0 hp and stay there

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
IIRC both me and Thraxis got lightning storm to work. You just need to move it about twice, and it eventually starts hitting. Also, does it cost 20 mana to move it? I don't remember losing any mana when I moved it, too.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
There is a bug with forcing names to show fully.

Before this last patch you could start a name off with something like $#Shuriken and all that would appear is Shuriken. Post-patch it shows the whole thing. Sounds good, except theres a glitch when a name starts with an improper character like that.

I experimented with it before a long while ago when I made a character named " .". Nothing would happen unless I typed "name <anything here>" in the console, which would force my name to appear with the spaces infront. This creates a huge "lag" which causes the attack hud to not display, and chat to not work similar to somebody in slot 1 leave, only worse. Nobody can change weapons as well as some other problems.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
using healing circle when fighting the bandit boss causes crash.

Also, artifact chest haven spawned lately, maybe its because the bosses are killed very quickly

Wrath

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You are right, though I found a small loophole that does the same thing. :wink:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
There is a bug with forcing names to show fully.

Before this last patch you could start a name off with something like $#Shuriken and all that would appear is Shuriken. Post-patch it shows the whole thing. Sounds good, except theres a glitch when a name starts with an improper character like that.

I experimented with it before a long while ago when I made a character named " .". Nothing would happen unless I typed "name <anything here>" in the console, which would force my name to appear with the spaces infront. This creates a huge "lag" which causes the attack hud to not display, and chat to not work similar to somebody in slot 1 leave, only worse. Nobody can change weapons as well as some other problems.

Teach you.

I'll look into stopping illegal character names from being created as well as removing them from existing character names.

PlatinumArts

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I would like to brainstorm with you guys sometime on IRC about the no free edicts problem. The main thing is to cut down entities. I think it would also be useful to try to figure out what maps cause the problem and list them. Then we should try to figure out why these maps crash. I find it interesting that helena now crashes after a bandit raid because of no free edicts. It didn't crash for me in the October version. What was added that is pushing things over the limit? Also it would help if mappers started to remove entities and sprites that aren't contributing much. Take care :D
-calimer / Platinum Arts
Check out http://PlatinumArts.Net for free games, music, music videos, etc!!

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
:? :? :? we want to fix tne edict problems so mappers can use more entities in their maps

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, after chitchatting with an RL coder friend and looking it over on my laptop, we figured a leading cause of edict problems is a loop caused by putting containers in containers (sheaths in sheaths, bags in packs, etc. etc.) - especially the massive edicts caused when such a player joins.

Problem is, I figure just about everyone is doing that, and while it's increasing their chance of character deletion, if I just suddenly fix it, it'll remove all their double-packed items.

I figure before I take care of a slew of edict errors that way, we'll have to get the bank working proper for a month so folks can offload their stuff.

Jon

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Actually, after chitchatting with an RL coder friend and looking it over on my laptop, we figured a leading cause of edict problems is a loop caused by putting containers in containers (sheaths in sheaths, bags in packs, etc. etc.) - especially the massive edicts caused when such a player joins.

Problem is, I figure just about everyone is doing that, and while it's increasing their chance of character deletion, if I just suddenly fix it, it'll remove all their double-packed items.

I figure before I take care of a slew of edict errors that way, we'll have to get the bank working proper for a month so folks can offload their stuff.

Epic News! MS:C 1.1 ?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:

I never put packs in packs, and I believe you have told people to never do that. I'd like to know if anyone actually DOES do this...

Did he find any other problems that could be related?