Demo thread (now: Painkiller: Overdose and Crysis)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
There are some fantastic demos out right now, here's the scoop:

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 734 MB

My verdict
Even though I have completed both F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (twice), I had no idea what the hell was going on in this demo. You (apparently you're a different guy this time) and an ally must find some dude whilst escaping from an abandoned underground. The firefights still have the thrilling F.E.A.R. tear-everything-apart feel to them and the scare moments are still mostly unique (which is actually quite clever) but as I already said, it's completely unclear what's going on. But because this is just a demo, keeping you in the dark (get it) might have just been the intention. The demo is amazingly short, and even though I must say that I am definitely going to try the full game, I must add that you should only download this if you're a real F.E.A.R. fan.

Minimum system requirements
• Windows(R) XP, x64 or 2000 with latest service pack installed or Windows Vista(TM)
• DirectX(R) 9.0c (December 2006 Edition – included) or higher
• Pentium(R) 4, 1.7 GHz or equivalent processor (2.2 GHz for Windows Vista(TM))
• 512 MB of RAM or more (1 GB for Windows Vista(TM))
• 64 MB GeForce(R) 4 Ti or Radeon(R) 9000 video card (GeForce(R) 6600 or Radeon(R) 9800 video card or equivalent for Windows Vista(TM))
• 1.5 GB free Hard Drive Space for installation

TimeShift
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 983 MB

My verdict
This game is actually quite entertaining. For the people who have never heard of it before, you assume the role the world's first "chrononaut", or time traveller. You're wearing this suit that enables you to slow time, pause time and even reverse time. Using these abilities, you must solve puzzles and gain an advantage in various firefights. TimeShift looks really good (and I mean really good) and the gameplay is satisfying. The weapons are solid and even though there are only three weapons in the demo, none of them is useless compared to the others. Killing people is also one of the game's stronger features. I haven't seen enemies explode into bloody gibs like they do in TimeShift in a long time.
There is, however, also a certain bad aspect. In the demo level, it's constantly raining. Now that sounds harmless, but if you combine that with the depth of field effect (optional, but okay) and the insane amounts of debris and other random crap that's on your screen, it can actually get hard to figure out where to go, simply because you're surrounded by... wrecked crap. It's an overdose of detail, and it's slightly annoying.
But the looks of the game, the time-shifting abilities and the cool weapons certainly make up for it. And those of you who've played the original TimeShift demo: this is nothing like it. It's better, way better. If you want some pretty fun FPS action and if you feel like downloading almost a gigabyte for a demo, I recommend you download this.

• Operating System: Windows 2000/XP
• CPU: 2 GHz processor (2.5 GHz recommended)
• RAM: 512 MB RAM
• VIDEO: 128 MB video card with full hardware T&L support
• DX: DirectX 9.0c
• CPU: Sound Card, Mouse, Keyboard

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 1405 MB

My verdict
This game is incredible. In the demo mission, you're part of a squad of American soldiers sent to secure a stranded U.S. military tank in a semi-swampy wasteland-like area in some Middle-Eastern city. The level starts with you standing in one of the streets of said city, a few blocks away, where the squad leader gives a very short briefing of what you're supposed to do. Just a few steps further, you're being shot at by terrorist scum and all hell breaks loose. And how! Your squadmates are constantly screaming stuff at each other such as "Target is in the open!", "Mag change!" and "Watch out, RPG!" and there's cars exploding, people getting shot and missiles flying over the whole time. It's non-stop action and it's really, really good non-stop action. The game has also been optimized amazingly. I play it at medium - medium/high and it looks really good. At full high settings (except AA), I still managed to get twelve frames per second, which was more than I expected. This has to be one of the best looking, most intense and most immersive shooters I have ever played.

• CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
• RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
• Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
• Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

Unreal Tournament III
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 741 MB

My verdict
As soon as you hear a remastered version of the original Unreal Tournament soundtrack play in the background of the menus of the Unreal Tournament III demo, you know you're dealing with a quality game. Since I don't want to make this description too long (which I am going to fail at, but whatever), I'll just get straight to the facts:
1) This demo has a lot to offer; there's one huge map suitable for the new Vehicle CTF gameplay mode and there are two medium-sized maps suitable for the Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Duel gameplay modes.
But it gets even better; almost every weapon is in the demo. You can find the impact hammer, enforcer, bio rifle, shock rifle, link gun, stinger minigun, flak cannon, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, longbow AVRiL and even the redeemer.
There's also a good variety of vehicles in the Vehicle CTF map. Both teams have direct access to one Hellfire SPMA, one Hellbender, one Scorpion, one Goliath, one Raptor and one Manta. There's a third Manta below the centre of the big bridge.
And if you thought that sounded good, it just keeps getting better: using a few simple console commands, you can spawn five other vehicles. Be warned that the weapon and movement sounds for almost all of these five additional vehicles are missing. Anyway, hop into a Raptor, fly somewhere up in the air where you're clear of any surroundings, open your console, and type:
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_cicada_content - Cicada
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_fury_content - Fury
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_darkwalker_content - DarkWalker
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_nemesis - Nemesis
Note: the textures of a newly spawned Nemesis will show up completely white. However, after entering the vehicle once the textures will show up normal.
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_paladin - Paladin
This makes a total of eleven vehicles in this demo, which is just plain awesome.
2) The game looks awesome. It's simply gorgeous. The demo does not include the high and very high resolution textures, so it doesn't matter if you place the Texture Detail slider at position 3 (medium), 4 (high) or 5 (very high), you won't see any sharper textures than the medium resolution textures. And trust me, these textures are already sharper than daggers. It's simply amazing. I can hardly imagine what this game will look like with high or perhaps even very high resolution textures enabled, if my computer can handle it.
Especially the weapon models are gorgeous. They're also extremely well animated. There's little hatches opening and closing and stuff like that when you fire certain weapons and it all looks so slick that I actually spent time just looking at all the weapon firing animations.
The vehicle models also look very good, but honestly now, did anybody expect they would not?.
3) The game is fun. It still plays like Unreal Tournament. Some additions have been made to vehicle-based gameplay (by pressing Q you can ride your own personal hoverboard in Vehicle CTF) and there's probably some new stuff in the other game modes as well, but I've been way too occupied with Vehicle CTF to play the other game modes a bit more, simply because it's so damn fun.
All the good and awesome features aside, there is one bad thing about the demo, which I hope will change in the full game: there is a serious lack of graphics options. You can set the game's resolution, the texture detail, the world detail, and you can fiddle with the "post-processing effects", which has something to do with the amount of blur on objects in the background. And that's it. There aren't ten to fifteen graphics scaling sliders as in previous versions.
However, my obvious bottom line still is:
GODLIKE
Download this demo right away if you haven't done so yet!

• Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
• 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
• 512 Mbytes of System RAM
• NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
• 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space (for the full game)

Painkiller: Overdose
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 733 MB

My verdict
In the second expansion to Painkiller, you are
http://www.projectoverdose.com/ said:
the tortured son of Heaven and Hell, Belial
This means that you're a demon this time. People who remember Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell will probably also remember the story, or lack thereof. No story and/or background is given in the Painkiller: Overdose demo, and honestly I'm not expecting any real story in the full expansion either. But it's okay! Because Painkiller is all about going to some pretty good-looking location to kill everything that can be found there. And that's still the goal in the second expansion.
There are two maps in the demo and a whopping eight weapons. Painkiller only had five weapons, and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell added an additional two to that number. Some of the weapons in Painkiller: Overdose are based on weapons from previous installments, while others are completely new. Example: the shotgun-with-a-freezing-particle-launcher-attachment has been replaced with a shotgun-with-a-petrifying-particle-launcher-attachment. It looks slightly different, but it works exactly the same. One of the new weapons is (what looks like) the severed head of a goblin that can shoot a laser beam out of its eyes. The secondary fire of this weapon fires a poisonous cloud out of the goblin's mouth. Yes, seriously.
The first demo map is a medium sized one in which you have to kill 198 monsters. The second demo map is huge; you have to kill 319 monsters in that. Speaking of huge, the loading times are... well, huge. Even reverting to a quicksave will take you at least one minute. I remember the long loading times from Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell but seriously, this is ****ing rediculous. There's also a slight increase in lag here and there, which is downright annoying. I can play Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell at maximum settings without any lag whatsoever, but in Painkiller: Overdose I get FPS lag sometimes during big battles and it's not uncommon for the game to go like lag-lag-lag-normal play-lag-lag-lag-normal play-lag-lag-lag-normal play and god damn it that is annoying. I've always wanted to say this about a game, and now I finally can: this game can be laggy and sh*tty.
The level of detail is still pretty stunning (especially in the second demo map, which takes place in a forest) but it doesn't look that much better to justify the lag and nasty loading times.
Something else that keeps annoying me is the fact that Belial (the entity you play) likes to taunt randomly after killing stuff, a la Serious Sam. In Serious Sam I actually thought it was pretty funny, but some of the stuff Belial says is braincell-destroyingly stupid:
"Unrest forever."
"Dun-dun-dun, another one bites the dust."
Or, which is perhaps the worst excess: "Kiss my half-angel ass."
Or maybe the variation thereof: "Kiss my shiny half-demon butt."
I'm not making this up; the main character actually says this.
But it's still Painkiller. You walk around in extremely varied locations that are pretty looking and you still have weird guns that do assloads of damage and there's still plenty of evil stuff for you to kill. But the lag, load times and freaking annoying taunts of the main character really killed this second expansion for me. I don't think I'll enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed Painkiller: Battle out of Hell, let alone Painkiller.

• Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor
• Memory: 512 MB RAM
• Hard Disk Space: 2.5 GB available
• DVD-ROM Drive: 4X or Higher
• Video: 128 MB DirectX® 9 Compatible Video Card (NVIDIA® GeForce® FX 5600, ATI™ Radeon™ 9600 or Better)
• Sound: DirectX 9 or better compatible sound card
• Input: keyboard and mouse

Crysis
Download the demo here.
Size: ± 1814 MB

My verdict
Hint 1: If your CPU is outdated, set the physics detail to low. This will make all shacks and buildings unbreakable, but you can still shoot trees.
Hint 2: Set the object detail to low! The object detail determines the amount of useless crap you see, such as turtles, chickens, crabs and birds in the distance. Setting it to low will yield a great FPS increase.

The opening cinematic, which is all rendered in real-time by your computer, reveals that you are in a plane along with four of your teammates en-route to a group of islands where you must rescue a scientist who has found something that can "change the face of the planet". Assuming you can set the graphics to at least medium with some effects such as shader quality to high, you will be blown away by the visual detail in Crysis. The detail of everything inside the plane, be it the textures, the props, the models of your teammates, the lighting, everything, is fascinating. I have never seen a game this good looking before. When you jump out of the plane with your teammates, it gets even better. When you touch down, it gets even better. When you advance, it gets even better. The demo level starts at night, and at a certain point, the sun rises. And wow, does it look awesome. Everything is so real, it's unbelievable.
Since there's so much to this game that you basically have to see for yourself to believe (such as the awesome detail and the fact that you can break almost every tree by shooting it) I'll make this short:
- The gameplay is very similar to Far Cry: you sneak around, make sure you know where your enemies are, and pick them off one by one.
- The suit you're wearing gives you some awesome functions, such as a cloak mode, a maximum armor mode which allows you to take more bullets before dying, a speed mode, and a strength mode that allows you to break shacks by punching them.
- The graphics are... okay I've already said it plenty of times.
- The AI can be pretty ****ing stupid at times, but also pretty good. The AI is less retarded if you increase the difficulty, but there are still some ultra stupid things the AI shouldn't ever do. Example: if you kill the gunner of a patrol boat and then hop in the boat, the driver will just keep driving the boat around, completely ignoring you. And you're like "HEY ASSHOLE I AM STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU ON THIS BOAT!" but he'll be like "Look I'm driving a boat." and that's downright stupid.
- The voice acting is pretty good, and so is the story. The cinematics are well done, and it's obvious that a lot of time went into making the animations for the characters in the cinematics.
- I want this game.

Also, the installer for the Crysis map editor, called the Sandbox 2 Editor is included with the demo. Using the editor, you can spawn a mini nuke launcher for you to use in the demo! Please read on.
1. Go to your \Crysis demo\Sandbox2 Installer\ folder and run CryEngine(R)2 Sandbox(TM)2.msi to install the Sandbox 2 Editor.
2. Go to your \Crysis demo\Bin32\ folder and run Editor.exe to start the editor. This will take a while.
3. File -> Open... -> island -> island.cry to open the demo map. This will also take a while. Note: do not save your progress, because as you might've figured out, you'll be editing the demo map. Don't mess it up.
4. Now the awesome thing about this editor is, you can actually spawn in-editor. And it'll take only a few seconds. So use the WASD buttons and the right mouse button (hold it to change the camera orientation) to fly around. Place the camera somewhere above a piece of land that's in the map (the part you visit during the demo). If you don't do this, you will spawn outside the "legal map area", also called the "map boundary", and the game will command you to return to the "combat area" within ten seconds, or you will be automatically killed. So position the camera a small bit above a spot that's inside the "demo territory".
5. There's a menu to your right with eleven grey buttons. Press the button marked "Archetype Entity".
6. Now press Pickups -> Weapons\Advanced.
7. Double-click on the "TAC Gun".
8. Now click once on the floor right in front of you to spawn the TAC Gun.
9. Now press CTRL+G to spawn yourself in the editor.
10. Pick up the TAC Gun, aim far away, and watch the nuclear fireworks!

Summary: This demo is awesome in almost every single way (dumbass AI had to prevent a perfect store in my eyes), especially because the editor has been included. I've never seen this much replay value in a demo before. Must-get! J-M v2.5.5 recommends the Crysis demo, and obviously the full game as well!

• OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
• Processor - 2.8GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2GHz or faster (Vista)
• Memory - 1.0GB RAM (XP) or 1.5GB RAM (Vista)
• Video Card - 256MB (NVidia GeForce 6800GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater)
• Hard Drive - 12GB
• Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Screw the others, I'm getting the UT3 demo. :oldshock:

EDIT: Waiting in line now. Only 35 minutes until I can start downloading. >_>

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I can't seem to change any settings on CoD4 without crashing after and 640x400 really hurts my eyes.

(I crash on all options, not only resolution)

EDIT: I have got the newest drivers for my 8500 GT, and the lastest Dx9 version comes with the demo, so I don't know what the hell is going on, because when it crashes it says something about a Dx9 error.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Jelly said:
Screw the others, I'm getting the UT3 demo. :oldshock:

EDIT: Waiting in line now. Only 35 minutes until I can start downloading. >_>
Where are you downloading?

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Belmont said:
I can't seem to change any settings on CoD4 without crashing after and 640x400 really hurts my eyes.

(I crash on all options, not only resolution)

EDIT: I have got the newest drivers for my 8500 GT, and the lastest Dx9 version comes with the demo, so I don't know what the hell is going on, because when it crashes it says something about a Dx9 error.
I read somewhere else that some dude constantly had the game crash on resolution change. I have yet to try it, I'll post my experiences tomorrow.

And about the driver thing... wtf :|
I have no clue what's causing that stuff.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
One question: Will my 256 mb NVidea GeForce 5500 FX support these games?

Jeremiah

New Adventurer
Reaction score
maybe you can start these games with it, but don't expect much frames even on low settings i think :?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Update.
While I was sceptical at first, I have to say that the Call of Duty 4 demo, is, in fact, per definition,
TOTALLY ****ING AWESOME!!!

It's over-the-top intense, and I can run it at medium - medium/high settings (Pentium 4 HT-550 @ 3.40 GHz, XFX 7800 GTX 256 MB, 1536 MB RAM DDR) and even that looks fantastic. I don't know how these guys managed to pull it off.

Repeat: the game looks fantastic even at medium, even while there are dozens of NPCs on screen. I tried running the demo with everything at max (sans AA) for fun, and I still got 12 FPS (while I expected 3 or so).

I am totally amazed. I just can't say this enough: the game is really, REALLY good and it looks freaking amazing. Don't even doubt; download this right now!

I'll write some more about the actual gameplay and stuff tomorrow, in the first post.

Holy shit this game rocks.

RP199302

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Update.
While I was sceptical at first, I have to say that the Call of Duty 4 demo, is, in fact, per definition,
TOTALLY ****ING AWESOME!!!

It's over-the-top intense, and I can run it at medium - medium/high settings (Pentium 4 HT-550 @ 3.40 GHz, XFX 7800 GTX 256 MB, 1536 MB RAM DDR) and even that looks fantastic. I don't know how these guys managed to pull it off.

Repeat: the game looks fantastic even at medium, even while there are dozens of NPCs on screen. I tried running the demo with everything at max (sans AA) for fun, and I still got 12 FPS (while I expected 3 or so).

I am totally amazed. I just can't say this enough: the game is really, REALLY good and it looks freaking amazing. Don't even doubt; download this right now!

I'll write some more about the actual gameplay and stuff tomorrow, in the first post.

Holy **** this game rocks.

Sounds awesome, I always loved the Call Of Duty series, But it got old after the first couple because they were all World War II based. (Don't get me wrong, I love the WWII get go, But it's old after the first 3. :p ) It's pretty damn awesome to see that they dropped the WWII set up and went for modern warfare, Looks damn sweet; I'm going to download this. :cool:

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
I played UT 2007 demo on staturday and sunday a bit and i loved it, it got boring though, i ordered UT2007 like a year ago for £15 and now if i ordered it now its £26 its maybe gone up to £30 i don't know :p

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Holy crap guys, the Crysis demo is out (see first post). Unfortunately I can't download it right now, will do so tomorrow.

And I have to update my first post with some spam about what I think of the (awesome) Unreal Tournament III demo and the (pretty good) TimeShift demo.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Installing Crysis... gonna edit soon with info n stuff.

EDIT:

This beast really wants power, if you want to play full medium or high, that is. (and let's not talk about ultra high, please).

Crysis seems promising, but I think CoD4 is better, but I still recommend to try it.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
So for the people who still care, I added my massive rant about how awesome the Unreal Tournament III demo is. There's actually some useful information in there on how to spawn five vehicles that don't appear in the demo maps per default.

I've also added the Painkiller: Overdose demo, which I totally forgot. Tomorrow I'll add my rants about how awesome that demo is, along with the TimeShift and Crysis demos.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Why don't you also add the Hellgate: London demo?

It's somewhere in filfefront...

Solid Shadow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Playing Crysis with everything at Very High and still getting an average of +30fps...

...and I just ejaculated all over my keyboard.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Solid Shadow said:
Playing Crysis with everything at Very High and still getting an average of +30fps...

...and I just ejaculated all over my keyboard.

Specs...?