INFO Download and Play MSS mod now! (Okay not really...)

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Did someone say REGEX?

Like regex like those:

310px-Papyrus_Ani_curs_hiero.jpg

Srsly I fockin hate regex, the rage is absolutely justified! :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow, I've been reading up on this section of the forum but damn, how are you so invested as to write a 2200* characters post about how you are not raging? And about Orochi not knowing what he's talking about... he seems to be the most reasonable and objective person around here, along with MiB. Zeus, you gotta understand, nobody is hating on you around here, it's all in good spirit. The regex joke it all started with, all in good spirit.

* not sure this is the actual count, but it seems about reasonable.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, sry... Moved that rage fest to the appropriate place where you can continue if you feel so inclined - this thread's had enough derail... I'd move yours too, but I'd have to figure how to stick it between posts. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
re: Dangerous Pass Source
DarkWasp said:
It's good to see MSS has a slight bit of a pulse still!

I'm trying to find the latest version of my map and get rid of a few experiments (for stability's sake) before I can upload it.

So, yeah, hopefully we'll have that shoon.

...What ever happened to Shoon, anyways?

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
re: Dangerous Pass Source
DarkWasp said:
It's good to see MSS has a slight bit of a pulse still!

I'm trying to find the latest version of my map and get rid of a few experiments (for stability's sake) before I can upload it.

So, yeah, hopefully we'll have that shoon.

...What ever happened to Shoon, anyways?
I'll ask him

edit: Said he's talked to Orochi recently, as well as receiving a new job....so he's "tied up" as it were :c

Shoon

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
^.^ As mentioned i am still alive, before i had a slight vanishment due to new job recently, i did get 2 coders and a modeller in contact with Orochi, hope they are still up for it if they have not started on anything yet, I shall try to get some news for yourselves and Orochi to try and get some help on building this project. *blows the dust off his resource book of contacts* its been a while, lol.

I do also believe there is a couple of maps in regards of MS:C around in the depths of my hdd, i shall have a look but they may have been possibly wiped due to maintenance issues -.-'

I noticed the other day orochi launched a MS:S 2013 build via steam which sounds promising, i do need to have a good sit down and see whats what.

Enough jibber jabber, hows you all? :)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The Master Sword 2013 Build is my testing of the new SDK. It is by no means an indication of total progress. What we need before we go any further, is to set up a Git repository so we can easily incorporate engine changes.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I would say again, I don't see it being much of a boon, possibly more of a bane - and certain, not something to hold up development for, given that it may never happen, unless someone wants to shell out a lotta cash.

Work with the army you have, not the one you wish you had. [/Microsoft Zunesay] ;)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If you guys had revision control from the start, you may not have been in the position you are in now, having to ghettorig the new with the old, vis-a-vis Goldsource.

I have no idea why you are so anti-RCS, Thothie, but I assure you it will be a boon. (Not having to manually keep different versions like you currently do, for example). Regardless, I suppose it would be prudent to start in on it before we get a Git repository. If I use something like Git extensions locally, then when I check it in for the first time, all the work I've done previously will go with it (great thing about Git).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Orochi said:
If you guys had revision control from the start, you may not have been in the position you are in now, having to ghettorig the new with the old, vis-a-vis Goldsource.
If Dogg made the system with future SDK revisions in mind, it wouldn't be an issue, but he went and edited source files severely willy nilly, even when he could have added includes or such. Given that there was no undoing it, we never bothered trying to break that tradition either, so we're kinda stuck there.

...Although we did at least manage to add that SDL2.dll crap with minimal fuss... Even if I'm no longer entirely sure why we bothered. ;)

Orochi said:
I have no idea why you are so anti-RCS, Thothie, but I assure you it will be a boon. (Not having to manually keep different versions like you currently do, for example). Regardless, I suppose it would be prudent to start in on it before we get a Git repository. If I use something like Git extensions locally, then when I check it in for the first time, all the work I've done previously will go with it (great thing about Git).
We don't keep different versions around, save in archives... But yes, if you are careful to keep the SDK and modifications separate whenever possible, ie. code with external revisions by non-mod developers in mind, it could be a boon. I'm not saying it's an entirely bad thing, I'm just saying it's just not something that's absolutely required. It's entirely possible to do manually, and without any more effort than would be required if it updated automatically (possibly less effort, and certainly with less surprises).

=HELLION=

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i dont know what all that means but i cant wait to play a beta version!!

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, I'll see what I can do Thothie. There are many personal Git tools like Git extensions: the advantage to using those is when I finally can upload it to a repository, all the changes I've made will be tracked and saved to it.

And for the record, I'm sorry to jump on your back about the RCS, it just seems like whenever I bring it up you always nay-say the idea.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I uploaded Dangerous Pass to the FTP.

I recently made a lot of optimizations to it so there are going to be a lot of holes in the corners of caves and such until I fix them.

First competent mapper to open the VMF is going to have a heart attack.

My work tends to be:

20% Making something that exceeds my expectations
30% Wasting time on something I should have deleted
50% Source has a *displacement/togglelights/physics.etc* limit you say? DAMNIT!

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to say it but you'll need to trim it down. We can't extend the limits, and I think you need to read up on map optimization.

Check here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Naming_Lights
and here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... timization
and make sure you aren't naming every single bloody light you make. IIRC VRAD will remove the non-named light entities at compile time and merge them all into into the lightmap lump. Named lights get their own special treatment, as detailed in that article.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Fortunately my compile time on Dangerous Pass is already pretty fast.

I didn't have a lighting problem in this instance (it was a previous map).

This time I hit a displacement limit. I used displacements for 90% of the rocks in my map because they have better lighting and seemed to cost less on performance than models.

I've been cutting back, making everything that I can a power 2 displacement and reducing the number of rocks.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
There are rocks, boulders, and rocky outcrop models in the HL2 model files for a reason. you should use some of those.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, it's an account I setup ages ago, and gave the password out in the developer forum, as I realized, when I posted MSC videos on my own channel, I developed stalkers (to the point where I dropped that channel). It's mostly used for developer's to pass vids to one another regarding development issues. The Source team has access to it, but they could setup their own, I suppose. I suspect they are relying on their ModDB page for most of that. You can squeeze better quality of out Youtube, of course, but not much - and this particular video didn't come up very well on either - seems I need to brush up on how I post up Youtube videos a bit.

=HELLION=

New Adventurer
Reaction score
oh btw Thothie you should really post an update on Moddb that way it shows up on the front page... adding the video files just showed up for me because i track the page, but i dont think that many other people seen it... i really think all the great work that is going on needs to be seen so new comers will be able to get interested... hope there is a beta soon!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Did indeed post an update, and we did indeed wind up on the front page for awhile... Our rating went up to 39 of twenty thousand some-odd, for a little bit, at least.

I link our download in every news update, but having ModDb itself host our patches leads to problems, in addition to the added upload time. If I could figure a way to just point to our own hosting links that way, rather than upload another gigantic package, it might be more viable. This time around, one of the ModDb moderators added it without asking us, which was a bit of a painful surprise. Seems the news update should be enough for a bump though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Arg, didn't notice what thread I was in when I wrote that up ^... :oops:

Same holds true, more or less, in the case of the MSS ModDb, I added to the MSS ModDb Downloads page... As it's an unreleased mod, however, it didn't bump it nearly so high, but I think it got under 9,000, no pun intended.

I've yet to make a news update though... If we get the Dangerous Pass ironed out, I may add it to the map showcase, and bump it with a news update, assuming no one else posts news around the same time.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I've yet to make a news update though... If we get the Dangerous Pass ironed out, I may add it to the map showcase, and bump it with a news update, assuming no one else posts news around the same time.

You can add it to the showcase, I've already reduced practically a map's worth of displacements. It runs fine as it is. There are bound to be some changes but nothing in the "false advertising" category.