Easy mapping solution

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If i were you guys i would convert the old hl1 maps being used in ms:c and use them in hl2. All you guys would need to do is just detail the maps a bit. You could actually use the original models and bring them into zbrush and detail them up there great for a base mesh for a model since there already UV mapped and everything and such low poly. You could actually create some really impressive models by generating a normal map from a high resolution mesh. If you guys did this you could possibly have a internal alpha by mid next year.

-Derek

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well...problem is the maps aren't supposed to be just remakes of the others.

according to Kuro, they are supposed to "feel" the same, but have different layouts and such. I think they should definately make some DEV texture maps first and get the areas feeling right with maybe some sample textures, then detail and stuff after the layout is done...only adding small things after the DEV texture stage.

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
Well...problem is the maps aren't supposed to be just remakes of the others.

according to Kuro, they are supposed to "feel" the same, but have different layouts and such. I think they should definately make some DEV texture maps first and get the areas feeling right with maybe some sample textures, then detail and stuff after the layout is done...only adding small things after the DEV texture stage.
thats just a matter of opinion though.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
testing, yeah i can see testing purposes...but in all seriousness normal maps aren't the best maps to test things in. too much variance.

normally people working on mapping will make maps dedicated to testing specific situations (in source they use dev textures), be it for balancing, brainstorming, or seeing if thier entities work right.

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
testing, yeah i can see testing purposes...but in all seriousness normal maps aren't the best maps to test things in. too much variance.

normally people working on mapping will make maps dedicated to testing specific situations (in source they use dev textures), be it for balancing, brainstorming, or seeing if thier entities work right.
not sure if your getting what a normal map is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_map Its important to test a game using the maps and textures that will be used in the public release so you will encounter the bugs the public will be experiencing which are map related.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Dood, I converted some Quest maps, and its REALLY not worth it, source is SO much more powerful, and models even with a normal map, will look sh|t

Best option is to start over, trust

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
gaz i think once u got the good part of the scripting down and a map or 2 with some monsters and npcs done. u should release a open beta or something. it would bring alot of traffic to your mod and may even bring in new team members.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
One problem, code, as far as Im aware there is 0% code movement

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you guys send me a source model of the rat or something i can quickly do some work in zbrush with it just for an example. Also what you would only get when converting it is plane coordinates. You would have to do a bunch of editing on it to get to look good on source. Pretty much you would have a basic shape of the map laid out to do finer editing.

-Derek

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Rhodeder said:
If you guys send me a source model of the rat or something i can quickly do some work in zbrush with it just for an example. Also what you would only get when converting it is plane coordinates. You would have to do a bunch of editing on it to get to look good on source. Pretty much you would have a basic shape of the map laid out to do finer editing.

-Derek

basic shape of the map is really easy to make, and the current maps would be rediculously small compared to what source can do.