elder scrolls adventures redguard weird race?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
so iv never seen something like this in the other elder scrolls games. does anyone know what this is?
Redguard_large_sload-1f.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Among Elder Scrolls lore afficianotes (currently all absolutely flipping out about the radical changes in ESOL), Sload are kind of the butt of every other obscure lore joke. In part because "fat death frogs" are kinda silly, but also because the lore around the Thrassian plague, and the Sload's ties to it, have been so inconsistent as to basically form one the largest and confusing black holes in the lore.

If you're *really* interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMGUTp8B2Q
But I wont refund those 20 minutes of your life.

Although the inconsistency in the Elder Scrolls Lore can be excused by the fact that it's told, in the books, by various sides, spectators, and participants, so they very often interpret the same events in different ways and/or have complete disagreements as to what actually happened... And we've so much lore with similar effect, that, if we ever get a wall of text display in MSC, it's a pattern I wouldn't mind following so much, as it'd let us squeeze all that crap in game, and get a proper story with potential tie-ins running.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
... And we've so much lore with similar effect, that, if we ever get a wall of text display in MSC, it's a pattern I wouldn't mind following so much, as it'd let us squeeze all that crap in game, and get a proper story with potential tie-ins running.
Why not include scrolls of old, where once you collect all of them and learn the lore you can go on a quest for an apostle weapon :oldlol:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ceriux said:
why not do it like you do the menu's
Can't actually cram much text in there.

There is this lovely HTML window interface (albeit, it goes through IE) but it seems to be part of the newer SDK, and even if I could figure out how to integrate it, I couldn't figure out how to invoke it. Need to fiddle with the provided TFC UI interface more.

I should harass Orochi about it, since he isn't doing anything, and feeling so guilty for stringing us all along. ;)

Lucifer Majiskus said:
Why not include scrolls of old, where once you collect all of them and learn the lore you can go on a quest for an apostle weapon :oldlol:
Or just have you fold them all together to form The Ancient Origami Loreldian Sword of a Thousand Truths!
hqdefault.jpg
Yeeeah... Naaah.

Though I have crafted up the frame work for some map based scripting puzzles that require some vague knowledge of the lore to solve.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I want a sword of a thousand paper cuts! :)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
ceriux said:
There is this lovely HTML window interface (albeit, it goes through IE) but it seems to be part of the newer SDK, and even if I could figure out how to integrate it, I couldn't figure out how to invoke it. Need to fiddle with the provided TFC UI interface more.

I'm listening.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We've been over this a couple times now, but like I've said, there's a text interface of some sort in the Team Fortress UI code that also permits scrolling and graphics, and there seems to be an HTML interface invoked in various Half-Life mods that must be buried in the newer SDK, or one of its subsidiaries, somewhere.

dod1_thumb.jpg

dod2_thumb.jpg

ww1_thumb.jpg

ww2_thumb.jpg

But digging through the Wizard Wars UI interface and such hasn't really let me figure a way to unbury it and then invoke it script side, nor am I aware of the various limitations that may exist.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Ah, right. Thought you meant something new. Well, send me the current stuff when you have a moment and I'll put in a bit of time.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie has a mic! :oldshock: Me wonders why Thothie not go in MS:C and have meaningful conversations with the commonfolks.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
It might be time for a game of wizard wars very soon. Maybe even after I leave work today... anyone down?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've notice the Source Mod Estranged (for which you can grab the source code, here, hence my interest), has a function where you can click a on the credits, while they are rolling, and it'll take you to specific web sites, via the Steam Overlay. (And not just Steam profiles, but betatestersonline.com and such - any URL it seems.)

So that might be another idea, if we can figure how they invoked it. Hell, wouldn't even need to waste space on the client's computer with pictures n stuff, could just keep the lore books on-line, yet still available via in game events (Like, opening a book). If ya wanted to secure certain books, you could include a game generated password in the URL, or some such, I suppose.

Estranged also has another, more sophisticated interface, that would likely be harder to figure out though. They use this for reading e-mail on computer terminals, during which you access a virtual desktop - that even includes a cat video.

I mean, we gotta have cat videos, right?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I can actually shed some light on this. The HTML content you see in some MOTD windows is a special MOTD panel, part of the higher-level VGUI system and it's based on Webkit, not IE. I wasn't aware that Valve even added that functionality to Goldsource games, but in Source at least it's relatively simple to invoke a custom MOTD panel with custom title and pointing to a specific URL. Hacky, but it should work for what you want. I've done it entirely server-side in Source, too.

As for causing the steam overlay to pop up, that's either part of the steamworks API (which means no-go unless you're a Valve-backed mod) or it's somehow possible with the Steam URL protocol.

The computer screens you see in that mod are likely a custom-tooled version of the vgui_screen entity, which allows for rendering Valve VGUI2 elements on in-world panels.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Orochi said:
but in Source at least it's relatively simple to invoke a custom MOTD panel with custom title and pointing to a specific URL. Hacky, but it should work for what you want. I've done it entirely server-side in Source, too.
Can you point to any code within the Source SDK, or provide an example?

Orochi said:
As for causing the steam overlay to pop up, that's either part of the steamworks API (which means no-go unless you're a Valve-backed mod) or it's somehow possible with the Steam URL protocol.
Not greenlighted or any such, so it must be in there somewhere. I've not dug through the code yet myself.