FuzNet died

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
as of now the server appears to be working fine now, uncertain as to what happened.

If I was to wager a guess I would say it was overheating, as once I did get it going again it didn't last long. Either way gave it a good dusting and what not, so hopefully a couple of months of unintrupted service will come your way. Look on the bright side this is way better than how it used to be run.

as for why it took so long in the first place I now sleep during the day and work at night. Yesterday when thothie let me know at around 4PM that it was down I was fast asleep, didn't wake till 9:40 giving me 20 miniutes to get to work didn't get home till today around 6 ish when I got it back up and running again then of course getting it going again...

Either way it works and thats all that really matters.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
FN is down again :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gonna have to get one of those unlimited texting plans at this rate...

Suggest getting something to check the heat level swith: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

And again, if something needs replacing, I've got parts.

If it's not overheating, I'm betting on the PSU. ...Although with MSC+Minecraft+4xFN servers, overheating seems entirely possible.

foggyspider

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Gonna have to get one of those unlimited texting plans at this rate...

Suggest getting something to check the heat level swith: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

And again, if something needs replacing, I've got parts.

If it's not overheating, I'm betting on the PSU. ...Although with MSC+Minecraft+4xFN servers, overheating seems entirely possible.

I can run 2 MSC servers 8 slots for only about... 3-6% CPU usage. even under full server load.

I can run 1 Minecraft server 5 slot... about 100% CPU usage when 5 people are in.

I think I have an idea what could be overheating the server, or taxing the power supply...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
foggyspider said:
I can run 2 MSC servers 8 slots for only about... 3-6% CPU usage. even under full server load.
What the frack magical-alien CPU do you have!? ;) Mine's Quad-Core and it rarely stays below 20% on a full load. ><

foggyspider said:
I can run 1 Minecraft server 5 slot... about 100% CPU usage when 5 people are in.

I think I have an idea what could be overheating the server, or taxing the power supply...
Regardless, even if server's pegging the CPU to the wall constantly, the system shouldn't die, lest there be something wrong with the hardware that need fixing/agumenting.

Not heard back since the last message.

foggyspider

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
What the frack magical-alien CPU do you have!? ;) Mine's Quad-Core and it rarely stays below 20% on a full load. ><
AMD Phenom II x4 955 (3.20 GHz)

Thothie said:
Regardless, even if server's pegging the CPU to the wall constantly, the system shouldn't die, lest there be something wrong with the hardware that need fixing/agumenting.

While theoretically true, this may be why the overheating problems have recently arrived. Running a sustained 100% CPU usage generates lots of heat, if there is a small amount of dust buildup I'm sure the fan will run loud as hell, or the thermal sensors will panic and attempt to save your cpu from melting anything.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
if need be I will transfer FN to my laptop and run it from there for a bit, untill I can figure out what is causing it to just power off after a short while. Whats really frustrating is their is no log information, it doesn't even have a windows "was shutdown improper" log statement.

heat was a small problem a while ago but I opened it up for better air flow, the fans are all spinning but I suspect the video card fan is failing and is shutting the system down because the video card is overheating. Only other thing I can think of is the PSU is overheating.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The GPU isn't doing much... Windows not even realizing it's been shutdown properly is usually a PSU thang. :\ Ya can use the hardware monitoring tool I linked - although I can't recall if the shareware one has a logger.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Opening up the case won't help with airflow. It'll actually make the fans do less. They're designed like they are for a reason

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
true they are but on the flip side each part can cool independatnly when the side is removed giving it the rooms abient temp vs the internal of the case. A good example of this kind of thinking is with my current full tower case, the whole side panel is mesh with a 360mm fan on the side of it.

Anyway what its coming down to is a new location for the server as it's clearly getting to hot in the current location furthermore I have replaced the fan in the power supply to help push the heat out of it. This should fix the issue just need to find a new location and hook everything back up again.

Aische

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
did u check for swollen capacitors or ones with rust on top on the board ( usually near the cpu ) and inside the power supply
such problems usually manifest simmilar to heat problems ( shuting down in cycles that become shorter and shorter ) and usually mean the part that is affected is broken beyond repair ( hope its not something like that )

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Why not move to a VPS or something?

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Vps are a good choice for doing hosting things however I can't afford one, I am already working off of a business class internet service so I get more than enough bandwidth for hosting. My server works very well assuming of course hardware doesn't fail do to age.

in the end the issue here was the power supply fan wasn't spinning due to age and probably dust. As things sit now I moved the server gave it a new psu fan, this should continue to supply you with many more months of fn usage with little to no interuption.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
FN is down for a few minutes now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bat signal activated.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Up again, looks like it has been for awhile... However, it is running awfully hot.

Looks like most of it is the GPU overheating and backwashing heat into the rest of the system. CPU core is fine (~25C), but ambient temperature is around 65, and the GPU is pegged at near 80, despite not running anything to speak of.

I shut down the Blasto MSC server, and it looks like Blasto shutdown the Minecraft server - should help some, but I suspect the fan on the GPU has gone wonky. If it's a card, and the motherboard has its own graphics, I'd suggest ripping it out and switching to the internal - otherwise clean/replace that fan.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FN shall be down for a few moments while I transfer the data base to the new server, after which, we'll put out the patch, and I'll begin updating the passwords/addresses in the FN section.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...and we're back...

But we're now at RKS.

So check your threads and update your servers accordingly. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
RKS is doing a little house cleaning coupled with musical chairs due to security and functionality issues.

FN Has thus been moved to this address: (Temporarily, I guess)

You can edit your config and hope for the best, but I canna test if it's working from here. (Beyond the fact that I canna remote access it.)