Giving MS:S a Kick Start

Tails

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Are you guys going bring back donation webpage? I would love to donate to get this mod going.Jaykin' Bacon: Episode 3 did it and its going so good so far.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm not aware that MSS ever had a donation page to itself, but as we share the same web space, any donations to RKS go to sustaining that (via Paypal donation widget on right of yonder page) - this includes the MSS developer file space and hidden developer forums. You'd have to talk with Orochi directly, if he's interested in buying models from TurboSquid or what not (or maybe buying a GitHUB, since we destroyed the site trying to rig that up for him last time). Currently all RKS+MSC donations go to extending the life of the website, and possibly towards a MSC Greenlight that we're piggy backing on.

If you leave your Steam ID in the notes of the donation, we can add you to the donators list (which gets you a donator halo in the next MSC patch), and I will share this list with Orochi, should he wish to grant anything to donators in MSS. (That being one of the few advantages of developing on Source - same Steam ID system).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Free is, pretty damned reasonable. I suppose this option might not have been available when last we were looking into this.

Not sure if it'll have everything Orochi wants, but the critical thing is it'd need to be closed source and password secure. Sadly, this isn't the sort of game where you can get away with having it open sourced. :\

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
"JIRA integration"... I'm using JIRA right now for another project and it is awesome!

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
You guys never actually tried to rig up a GitHub on this site; it's actually impossible. Git is the actual name of the source control system itself, while GitHub is a website that hosts Git repos. Regardless, Git blew up last time we tried installing it here. RKS nixed the idea of funding a GitHub repo on RKS' dollar though; he and his lot didn't want to take the gamble of paying for something that may or may not get used, which is understandable.

Ideally what I'm looking for is source control with a decent graphical front-end for doing diffs and for visualizing the source tree; I use Plastic SCM at my place of work and the visualization aspect helps immensely when doing work on the repo.

So, ideally what I would like to in a source control system for MS:S is:

1) Secure. Must have some way to limit access to specific users and add new ones. People can share accounts if necessary, but needs to have a decent amount.
2) Low cost. Ideally it would be free. In practice that may not be possible
3) Visualization. While we can get by with command-line tools or shell extensions like TortoiseSVN, an interface to visualize the branches and trunk as more than just directories would help.
4) Ease of use. Not having a clunky and convoluted system would help.

Admittedly this is pretty vague. I know everyone has their own preferences for what source control to use. But I am committed to putting MS:S into source control. I've used it, it makes it a million times easier to manage versions and do incremental updates and rollbacks.

I don't know who this TurboSquid fellow is or why he's selling models.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
http://www.turbosquid.com/

I would hold off on buying any models because I am trying to produce as many freebies as time allows.

I am with you on a system using TortoiseSVN as I am currently using it for another project and know how great it is... But even as simple as handing out code to trusted developers and assigning certain tasks could/would be useful. It's just a matter of time and effort, which I know isn't in abundance ATM.

Oh yeah, who has control of Moddb? An update might be useful.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PBarnum said:
Oh yeah, who has control of Moddb? An update might be useful.
I have some access, but I think ye should PM Orochi about setting you up with an official member account.