Goldsource engine limits

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can find the Goldsource (Half-Life) engine limits? I'm particulary interested in the maximum amount of worldbrushes a map can have.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Does anybody know where I can find the Goldsource (Half-Life) engine limits? I'm particulary interested in the maximum amount of worldbrushes a map can have.

I don't think theres any limit on world brushes, just faces.

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I reached the brush limit on an over-reacted version of my lovely temple map (which you like so much :p )... I should decompile that to figure out :idea:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What's the exact error ZHLT is givin ya?

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was something with MAX_MAP_BRUSHES exceeded. I don't have the "overkill" version of my temple map anymore, only jm_styxtemple2.

When I decompile jm_styxtemple2 with BSPTwoMap, it hollows out alot of solids, so alot of solids (no idea how many) I get six solids.
My other decompiler, Winbspc, crashes... it can't decompile jm_styxtemple2.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Decompile = BAD

MAX_MAP_BRUSHES can be increased, I think XPCagey's tools had an increased limit... or was that something else? I know he ramped up a lot in there.

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I know decompiling is bad, but I lost the source to jm_styxtemple2 years ago.

Edit: http://www.47hassocks.freeserve.co.uk/compileprobs.htm
Code:
MAX_MAP_BRUSHES The admissible number of brushes in the map has been exceeded.

maximum: 8192 (approximate, huge counts of brushes mostly lead to problems with too large lightmap-data --> see also MAX_MAP_LIGHTING-error)

Solution:

Decrease the number of brushes, simplify your map or make it smaller .
Holy ****, 8192 brushes? When I decompile jm_styxtemple2 with BSPTwoMap (the decompiler that hollows out almost every brush) I get about 4300+ brushes. There is no chance in hell I could have reached 8192, ever.

Edit 2: The 'normal' limit is 4096 brushes, but some tools (Merl's custom tools, XP-Cagey's tools, and Zoner's Half-Life Tools (which I've always used)) have the 8192 brushes limit.

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea decompiling will get you about 80x the amount of normal brushes on the map because of that hollowing. Basically you have to rebuild the whole map.

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I never decompile a map to recompile it later on. I only decompile maps to learn stuff, entity setups and things like that. I decompiled Sven Co-Op's hostage2a once and learned how to make a working codepad door :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As Jester said, yeah, you can't rebuild a decompiled map. At best you can use it to figure what textures you used and how you set the map up - but there's too many oddities generated by decompile to possibly ever let you recompile. Indeed, it generates so much weird stuff - I wouldn't even work on a new map while the decompiled one was still in memory as there maybe odd overflow issues. (Hammer is not exactally, shall we say, 'solid state')

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
As Jester said, yeah, you can't rebuild a decompiled map. At best you can use it to figure what textures you used and how you set the map up - but there's too many oddities generated by decompile to possibly ever let you recompile. Indeed, it generates so much weird stuff - I wouldn't even work on a new map while the decompiled one was still in memory as there maybe odd overflow issues. (Hammer is not exactally, shall we say, 'solid state')
o_O I would never, ever, decompile a map and work on it. Ever.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dunno how else you got that error then.

Hey, thothie, did you get my pm?
Totally F3'd - but yes, and all that stuff was added to my archive.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Dunno how else you got that error then.
LOL no dude, look:
A long time ago, in an MS era far, far away, I started mapping. This was five or six years ago. My first map ever was a cheat map for MS called jm_styxtemple. When I had made it public, it was HUGE, but it had two small bugs. So I fixed those bugs and released jm_styxtemple2.

As I said, the map was huge, and I had used crap loads of brushes. So many brushes, it wasn't healthy anymore. On one day I felt like expanding the "FUN HOUSE" section of the map (some completely random puzzle crap) and I made it like twice as big. When I tried to compile jm_styxtemple3 it gave me the MAX_MAP_BRUSHES error. I looked it up and figured there were way too many brushes in my map.

I lost the source to jm_styxtemple3 ages ago, so I tried to decompile the map (two days ago) to figure out how many brushes I used. Unfortunately, BSPTwoMap likes to hollow out almost every brush, giving me about four times more brushes than I actually used.

The weird thing is, the BSPTwoMap decompiled version of my map tells me (in Hammer) that I used a bit over 4300 brushes, while the limit (using ZHLT) is 8192 brushes.

So I'm now starting to wonder if it actually was the MAX_MAP_BRUSHES error... maybe it was MAX_MAP_FACES.

Ah... good times of newbie mapping.