Hello and questions

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hello, Lt.Green here,

WOW! I hadn't played/thought about this mod in years, suddenly wondering what that game was, Googled it up and found you guys were still active, I must say, very impressive lads.

On to my questions, for the life of me I can't remember/figure out how to skin an animal. I've Googled it about 10 different ways and used the search function here too, I find "you can skin an animal with a dagger" but not what button/command to use, tried stabbing at air repeatedly, mashing every button, throwing all my stuff, and all sorts of things. I think I remeber it being bound to a skill, assuming smallarms, do i need to level that before I see my slicing at air take affect?

Second question, was there a way to change role/class from adventurer? I seem to remember back in the day it did so automaticly based on your skills, or am I wrong and thinking of another game?

Thanks all, great to see this game and community still alive.

EDIT: Punctuation, spelling, and a missed sentance.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
WB!

Boars, rats, and bears, have a chance to drop skins when they die. So you can skin them with anything - lightning bolts, whatever.

Depending on which skills you are focusing on, the game will give you a new title between levels 5 and 10. Just as in the days of yor, this title is entirely aesthetic, and has no affect on game play. I suppose, if you wanna actually change your role, and say, wanna lean more towards Tanking than DPS, you can focus on the heavier weapons to accelerate this, somewhat, though the reverse isn't as easily viable.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ahh so it's just chance now, hmmmm, coulda swore there was a way to 'skin' (stab with dagger, or something) the corpse if it didn't drop for another chance, oh well, off to murdin'.

Thanks and good to be back.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nah, it's always been that way... The rat's script's not changed since 2001. ;) Not sure how we'd change that - save by being cruel and making you kill it with a specific weapon - as there's no easy way to interact with the corpse.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, makes sense.. next questions now that i've had a bit more play time... any way to make undead stuff, like Walking Ashes, Skeleton Warrior, stay dead? Is there an equipment list somewhere, I get that some stuff is ment to be secret and 'found', just curious.

As i type this I suddenly think I remember haveing to murder undead repeatedly unit the stopped getting up... off to test!

EDIT: Oh and glow spell? doesn't seem to work for me, pretty sure its an error behind the keyboard

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Rebuke undead is the spell to put them down the first time they "die".

Glow spell expands as you level up spellcasting, and it has been "recently" changed to "hold key to charge glow" kind of spell, back in the days it was cast spell and click once, now you need to hold down mouse key to charge the glow even more. This will only work if you got higher spellcasting though.

At times there could be glow issues like randomly going poof and not showing up when cast, game is glitchy afterall. :wink:

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! Indeed the game is(glitchy), still awesome though. Decent amount of enemies and maps that either weren't in/done last time, or I simply don't remember them. Think I recall a version i played having an incomplete Gatecity with no NPC's in it or something.

Is there a guide or list of weapons equip/spells somewhere? I found a guide on the moddb page, but its just a new players guide, got most of that already down, but did learn a handful of things, also found this:

http://www.msremake.com/Files/PlayersGuide.txt

but, uhhh, some of the stuff it says is different than MS:C actually is (daggers skinning animals for example :) , selecting a 'class' at start and the "offer/trade" system) was this a for a concept or old version or something? Or am I completely lost in the sauce?

EDIT:
Realized I asked same question again on weapons list, maybe not so much a list, but I currently have wooden long bow, long sword, found a greatsword (I couldn't pick up cause too heavy, by time I sorted inventory it despawned). I guess I'm wondering where to go next. I'm playing solo and get thru mscave, golbintown, spiders in thornlands just fine, get stonewalled trying to cross Daragoth, murdered by a troll in Heras(better luck the other way tho), stuck my head into the Orkat and got sat on by the biggest boar I've ever seen... I seem to have all the best things I can find right now, where should I look for the next best thing/area?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wow.... Yeah, that is very old and a lot of it was never implemented... You basically choose your "class" by which weapon you start with, but that's about it. Where the hell did you even find a link to that thing? :oldshock:

There's this guide here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/master-sword- ... yers-guide
(Which used to be a sticky on the main page but vanished.)

Even that one is pretty damn dated... Made before we got our gender selection, polearms, parry system, dual attack, and dodge.

Lt.Green said:
I seem to have all the best things I can find right now, where should I look for the next best thing/area?
Ye might try looking here for maps in your range:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9592

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hahah, I Googled "master sword continued guide", it was the second result, the ModDb one was first... just knew I'd stumbled upon an archaeological treasure :p .

Thanks for link to difficulty guide, i'd been using the "map" from the alphabetical guide, this breaks it down much more 'duh' for people like me.

So I've gotten the gist of what the "second charging bar(the red one)" does, like a weapon special ability right? I bonked a boar on the head with a hammer and he saw stars, what does it do for the sharp dagger? I seem to be able to run like a madman and then stamina drain and stuck in one spot, neat, but i didn't really see an 'attack' in there per se.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Each weapon category has its own special charged attacks, as do certain individual weapons. Each requires a proficiency level in a specific skill to activate.

Smallarm's is kinda screwy - the second charge is a dramatic increase in attack and movement speed - but if you move too far from the point where you initiated the attack, you'll become staggered and unable to move or attack for a bit.

Many weapons have charges beyond the second - sometime as many as six.

Some weapons also have their attacks affected by which way your character is moving at the time, and there are several specific weapons that work in unique ways. Polearms are particularly complex, and described yonder.

I think MiB wants to keep an experimentation theme going with weaponry, and thus forbade a detailed list of the ~200 of em, but if you find something you can't make odds or ends of, it should be listed in the changelogs, and hopefully come up in a search.

I suppose I should hunt down and replace that file with a newer text file, since Google is so kindly bringing it up and all.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Nice, I'm down with experimenting, just wanted to make sure I had found a feature and not a bug with the dagger, haha. Took a look at he polearms list... wow! I'd say overcomplicated, but its kinda not, looks like a very useful set of moves and that it can make a polearms an awesome piece of equipment.

... and SIX charges? O... M... G...

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok... how the heck do I trade/give items to someone, i've googled and forum searched the heck out of it and can't find anything other than peoples for sale treads.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Walk up and drop items in front of them. ;)

There's no direct trading system, so that's pretty much it. Mind you, also, trading items is a tad risky - make sure you are both on the server for a few minutes after trading items, and beware that, should you disconnect after dropping an item, and it hasn't been held by another player for quite some time, it will be deleted from the world (even if it's in their backpack). You should get a message in your hud when the item's ownership has been properly transferred.

While an isolated trade system might be possible to rig up, it'd still suffer from the same item transfer lag, and open up all sorts of new duplication exploit possibilities.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah we finally started figuring some of that out last night, big problem we had when we started is it kept telling my buddy that items were completely restricted to me, so we though there was some nuanced way to do it. Couple items later and we found the ownership timer, though we still have sporatic "restricted" items.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Might get a restricted item message if you try to trade a container (pack/sheath), due to item duplication sploits... Otherwise, should be fairly rare - only a few quest items are reserved - even then, I think they can be traded after they are picked up by the player they are reserved for.

What, specifically, were you trying to trade that gave you a restricted error?

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Was trying to give a belt sword sheath and a quiver of the archer, yeah reserved is what it said, not restricted. Strangely enough an hour later the quiver worked, then we had some problems with a big sack, bought a new empty one for a friend, he equips, then accidentally un-equips, accidentally throws on ground, picks up, wouldn't let him re-equip, throws again, logs, it disappears forever, he rejoins, buy him a new one, reserved. Think MS:C just likes to troll us sometimes :? haha.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, tell me about it... *sigh* Suffice to say, trading of sheaths/packs no workie. Apparently, attempts to do so may also lead to glitchieness. :\

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, next question, what (starter maybe) spells level divination and affliction, so far all we have found is lightning, fire dart, a couple summons, rejuv and glow... and does glow get better with more wisdom or levels in a certain magic discipline?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Rebuke Undead and Poison are the lowest level'able spells in those schools, and are a bit tricky to find, though usually you can trade for said. Affliction and Divination can also be leveled by some magical weapons.

Think we covered the glow thing earlier - but yes, it levels with Spell Casting, starting as a dim red glow, and maxing out as a 512 unit diameter white nova. Maximum brightness is achieved at SC 10. You hold the button down to select the level of brightness you want in your available range.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright cool, got glow figured out now, yeah we did cover before sorry, just our SC wasn't that high so it didn't seem to be doing anything.

So I'd like to switch from necessarily asking questions for answers and rather just kinda maybe ask for hints, the last two days me and my buds have made some decent progress I think, and are starting to get a feel for some of the stuff, and are getting better at finding and figuring out stuff.

First hint I'd like to request, we see that old_helena is an NPC transition, we cannot find an npc in helena that triggers this. Do we need a missing item (IF: do not wanna know which item), have we not said the right thing to someone, or do we need to simply keep looking for someone we haven't found yet? I've trying talking to as many of he npc and vendors as possible, we can see people up in a window and on a tower, but havn't found a way to them yet, so i'm assuming there are more hidden areas.

Second hint, in relation to the previous question about affliction and divination, we are starting to be able to handle a decent bit of the easy-medium areas (lime yellow border in the alphabetical map). I'm not sure how to format this hint request, but something along the lines of, can we find it in the easy and easy medium areas? Do we need to be in higher areas? Feel free to get creative with your hint, like i said I'm not sure how to format my question.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lt.Green said:
First hint I'd like to request, we see that old_helena is an NPC transition, we cannot find an npc in helena that triggers this. Do we need a missing item (IF: do not wanna know which item), have we not said the right thing to someone, or do we need to simply keep looking for someone we haven't found yet? I've trying talking to as many of he npc and vendors as possible, we can see people up in a window and on a tower, but havn't found a way to them yet, so i'm assuming there are more hidden areas.
There are a lot of hidden areas in new Helena - shouldn't be much trouble to find a player to guide you to the NPC you are looking for.

Lt.Green said:
Second hint, in relation to the previous question about affliction and divination, we are starting to be able to handle a decent bit of the easy-medium areas (lime yellow border in the alphabetical map). I'm not sure how to format this hint request, but something along the lines of, can we find it in the easy and easy medium areas? Do we need to be in higher areas? Feel free to get creative with your hint, like i said I'm not sure how to format my question.
There's more than one possibility, though for a 100% chance, you maybe looking at mid-medium difficulty areas, though there maybe a boss involved, which ups the stakes. Much easier to find/acquire them via donation - most of the guilds tend to have a bank with several spares.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
A lot huh? Wow, we'd only found one so far, and my buddy got roflstomped by the K C down there, guess we'll have to take a more serious look around.

So better chance at higher areas, cool, so we need to head there when we have bulked up enough. We unfortunately are on my non-FN server so trading is not gonna work out. By bank you mean like, they have like excess 'mule' characters (and their Galat chests) to store stuff, or is there some way to get a party/guild chest? (from what I've seen, I doubt this, but that would be cool)

EDIT: Horrible spelling and grammar.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, so major "what the S***!" moment, spent hours killing 150 zeds to get a golden axe, then the axe breaks... I'm a lil peeved to say the least, not even sure I want a hint or just the location, where the heck do I get the ore to fix?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
msc_trollface.jpg
Time to start hunting for blacksmiths... Although I will say, at least you won't have to travel through time for this one... Unlike a similar occurrence, later on. Can't really give you a loc on the related ore, but with just two of you, it'll take awhile.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I once heard that it won't spawn in the chest of the mayor of Edana so I guess you will have to look elsewhere.

(not trying to annoy you, lots of people actually said this)