Hello and questions

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Look forward to trying for helmet of stab from I believe boss who lies beyond a certain jade keyhole, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the HP for him yet (i HATE getting stunned with an unbelievable fury)...
There's a potion for this.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, I've yet to find one of those that wasn't a lesser potion, better than just helmet, but my luck is still garbage on most rolls...

In other news, I beat ww3 boss and got his armor (said lesser potion and a mana font helped a lot here).. Not sure what armor does beyond 50% dam, and I'm pretty sure full knight armor already did that...

And I figured out what I was missing for soups, and found it, and MAN! Does that map have a lot of secret areas!

So two questions... Which potions last whole map (or maybe just so long it feels like it) and which potions are timed?

How does a wolf charm work?

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Lt.Green said:
Yeah, I've yet to find one of those that wasn't a lesser potion, better than just helmet, but my luck is still garbage on most rolls...

In other news, I beat ww3 boss and got his armor (said lesser potion and a mana font helped a lot here).. Not sure what armor does beyond 50% dam, and I'm pretty sure full knight armor already did that...

And I figured out what I was missing for soups, and found it, and MAN! Does that map have a lot of secret areas!

So two questions... Which potions last whole map (or maybe just so long it feels like it) and which potions are timed?

How does a wolf charm work?

Wolf charm works by hitting a wolf until its near death and then using it to get them as a pet. You can spawn that pet once a map so if it dies just reload.

Wolf charm for wolves, shadow wolf charm for shadow wolves etc.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Made some (hopefully] decent progress lately, up to 638 hp, found corrode helm, 30 in axe, great axe is awesome cause it wrecks things.

Anybody have any solid methods for offing the etheral worm before it crashes the map?

Edit: I may have the name wrong, but I mean the thing at crashes Cleicert when it spawns whatever it tries to spawn.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Huh, wouldn't think as brightly colored as it was that it was vulnerable to holy damage, thanks!

Gave it a handful of tries, I'm not good enough shot, or don't have the skill high enough yet :(

Edit: I'll keep this in mind for when I try later on down the road

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
A lot of elemental constructs/creatures are vulnerable to holy, being created by unholy magics, as the lore goes I believe.
Not all, mind you. Some fauna are changed by their environment to adapt, but some things that are obviously enchanted can be weak to holy.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That makes sense, I just guess wrong on coloration denoting... Alignment? Not sure that's the word I'm looking for...

Anyways, had a wondering on leveling, I've cranked a decent amount of levels lately, but haven't seen much movement in HP or Mana.... Wondering if I'm just misunderstanding the system, or if there is a bug.

Example: my understanding was magic disciplines leveled at multiples of 7, cause supposedly there is two unused/invisible skills.... I saw stuff pop with bonus to wisdom at 7 (1 as late as 9 I think) then at 14ish (2 at 15), 21 to 23, but I've pushed fire/ice/lightning to 30 recently and only ice popped to wisdom at 28....

Also I understand small arms and martial don't training strength as much as say sword or axe, but I put at least 4 levels on MA, 18-22 and saw no HP gain, and similar with SA, think it went 3 levels... Granted I wasn't paying very good attention to my other attributes.... It had seemed like I was getting bumps to HP every other or at min every 3rd level before... Wanna day it feels like a couple other skills haven't every-othered lately too. I'm at 22-23 on everything but axe, 30, archery, 20 and SC at 17.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Typically enemies are color coded by there Elements, yeah.

Also sounds like normal progression to me! Axes, Bluntarms, and Swords give the most HP. Most other skills won't yield as much HP as often. Even leveling your spellcasting can increase your HP after a while, though.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry, I ment with spellcasting I haven't gotten at bump to mana, save one at ice 28, for a while, like last time fire and light,ing have a bump was 21ish... But yeah, not 100% sure anything was wrong

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
You start the game with Fire, Ice, Lightning, Divination and Affliction all at 1. Spell Casting as a whole is then also 1. When you level a single of your subskills once, you will have Spell Casting 2.

However, from that point onwards, Spell Casting will only level once per seven subskill levelups. Whether you choose to level exclusively Fire, or a combination of Lightning and Divination, or something else entirely, doesn't matter. What matters is that you need to level all your subskills combined seven times (so not seven times per subskill) to level Spell Casting once.

In formula:
SC = floor( ( Fire + Ice + Lightning + Divination + Affliction + 8 ) / 7 )
Where floor(x) means that you have to round your answer down. Examples:
floor(2.14) = 2
floor(4.71) = 4
(for more info on this, see the floor function)

Furthermore,
Mana = 10 * Wisdom
Wisdom = floor( 1 + 1.75 * [Spell Casting] )

Last but not least: For every +1 WIS you gain +3 HP.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation... It certainly clears things up, I just got home and finally beat foutpost by tossing blizzards all of the place, leveling ice to 29 in the process... I was even more confused when it gave me mana and hp, when it just did at 28.... So it is 7, but not in each subskill, rather spread all around, now I know!...

There wouldnt, per chance, be similar math to the physical skills as a whole to your attributes and character?

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Haha, that post is an awesome read, both for the info contained and the hilarity of the conversation. Despite its complexity, I like how your characters physical progression matters by what you do... Other games make a little less sense when you read 40 books and you choose to raise your str, or beefcake out for a hour and raise INT. Also, as a fellow practitioner, very impressive necro btw (in that thread)

So, after beating foutpost last night and tracking the quest the rest of the way, I finally have a certain ring, very nice. Then in typical MS:C fashion, BS ensued.... I looked at the map difficulty post and thought, oh, I should have the ability to complete THESE maps now, this is my story;

Cliecert, still not fast enough on the glow worm, crash, "oh well, come back later"

Ms_sbow, got significantly through the map, rekt a ice skele with great axe, crash, "what the bulls***?....."

Oooookaay.... The_keep, goes great until at least a half hour fight with d-bag of the Orion bow, several protection pots and at least 3 heals on his part later (i had him around 1/4 health at one point), crash to desktop... "Fraaggllee raggglleee grrrrr raaaa blah blah!!!".....

I swear, I haven't felt this hated by a game since Dark Souls.......

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lt.Green said:
Also, as a fellow practitioner, very impressive necro btw (in that thread)
I was telling this other spamm... guy to stop necro'ing the other week, so I'm not proud of this necro :(

Lt.Green said:
Ms_sbow, got significantly through the map, rekt a ice skele with great axe, crash, "what the bulls***?....."
Sounds like a rare crash to me. Not that this information can help you now, but still.

Lt.Green said:
Oooookaay.... The_keep, goes great until at least a half hour fight with d-bag of the Orion bow, several protection pots and at least 3 heals on his part later (i had him around 1/4 health at one point), crash to desktop... "Fraaggllee raggglleee grrrrr raaaa blah blah!!!".....
One of six bosses will randomly spawn at the end of the_keep and Xaron can be one of the toughest ones. Be glad he didn't use a speed potion though.
Further note: If you crash to desktop, just reconnect quickly and the server should still be hosting the map and you can pickup where you left off. If the actual server crashes, though, it's all over of course.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wow, I thought it was 1 of 3... Think he did use a speed at one point, cause his rate of fire when nutso even under effects of blizzard...

And yeah, running listenserver, offline and no internet... so any crashes are the whole kit and kaboodle for me.... Although, I did have hlds, restarter and everything set up back in, what was it.... Early 2014 I was playing this last.... I wonder if I run that and connect through local port, could probably somewhat "separate" the client side errors from the server side, maybe like you said, be able to reconnect and proceed.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
The skeletons on ms_snow can cause you to crash fairly often, not sure why this happens sadly. Do they spawn freezing circles/any spell when they die? Might be the cause

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
Lt.Green said:
Also, as a fellow practitioner, very impressive necro btw (in that thread)
I was telling this other spamm... guy to stop necro'ing the other week, so I'm not proud of this necro :(

Every man must be temped to practice the dark arts from time to time.. :p .... In all seriousness though it should be reserved for when appropriate or it loses its effect.

Question related to The_keep is the Orion bow (and any other of the 6 boss weapons) a guaranteed drop? Like slithars staff? I mean, if kinda makes sense... If you defeat them, it was literally just in their* hands.... If so place seems like a good place to upgrade my weapons, if I can finally beat a couple. I'm still I search of better equip, highest stuff I've got is great axe and litch tongue, everything else is "common" equip, around level 12.

Edit: my phone thinks it knows spelling and grammar better than me, but keeps Fing it up.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Someone pointed out to me the other day that I forgot to put the Orion Bow in the list of items that are unobtainable solo (list has been edited just now).

So no, it's not a guaranteed drop. You need at least two people to get the Orion Bow to spawn. The only weapons that can spawn in the artifact chest with just one player are the Great Axe and Elven Longbow. Everything else (that includes the weapons the bosses hold in their hands) can't spawn if you solo.

Now you may be wondering why the Novablade isn't on the aforementioned list. Reason for this is that it can be obtained in (to my knowledge) at least two other maps, very most likely solo. Same goes for all the other weapons the bosses are holding except the Orion Bow, which (as mentioned) not only requires two players but is also exclusive to that map.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hah! Well... Guess there's no point in playing that map then, since I'll never get anything I don't already have... And is there something i'm missing on the elven long bow? It doesn't really seem to be all that good. Been using xbow for now.

And artifact chests, is it just luck to get those to spawn? I had one pop for me one time with talnorgah, never seen another.... I read somewhere that damage points were not required to cause stuff to appear, just determined order of precedence among players basically... I'm under the impression that some aspects of maps, especially the ones that adjust are based on player HP detected, is this why multiple players are required?, or is there literally something that says count(players). I saw something in changelog says better stuff shows up in chests if a higher level player opens first, granted that might have been really old changelog, I've worked my way through those in a rather hap-hazard manner.

Lt.Green

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So I got private dedicated server with restarter working on my laptop in hopes to separate client side crashes from server side (when running listenserver like I used to)... I haven't got home and tested this setup yet, but should work great, I've set it to not store characters, so I can be lazy and not transfer the save files, and listenserver when the wife borrows laptop.

So, here's a wondering; with characters client side and steam offline on both computers(same steam account), can I connect with both (playing a new character on laptop) or will MS:C, HLDS or something else lose its mind? Figuring I can con a family member into playing with me sometimes and thus, hopefully get better droprates and have some backup on some missions.

Questions again;

Elven long bow? Seems rarer to find than orc/tree/short, but low skill level (think a list greatguys showed me said lvl1, I might be wrong) and really doesn't seem as good as it should be for where and when it's showing up...

Artifact chests; what are the rules for appearing? I've only ever had one pop, did I miss something when I ran through changelogs? Cause other then "completely bats**t random" I'm not quite understanding these

Edit: Also, I guess the biggest news of this, that didn't click for me immediately, is I have half life running without crashing on my laptop (haven't installed MS:C yet). I disabled my discreet card and run HL through the integrated card, I guess I forgot how little HL needs, most of my other games demand the discreet card and BSOD my computer or run like molasses left out in antartica on the integrated. So, barring anything unexpected I should be able to play on FN when I get time in town at Starbucks, if their internet cooperates.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This got burried too it seems...

Lt.Green said:
Elven long bow? Seems rarer to find than orc/tree/short, but low skill level (think a list greatguys showed me said lvl1, I might be wrong) and really doesn't seem as good as it should be for where and when it's showing up...
Looking at the script, this appears to be a bug - maybe I accidentally rolled back some of Evaan's changes at some point. It does have a fair chance of appearing in one of the very first major chests you find though, and shouldn't be exactly rare. The other bows below it, however, can simply be purchased.

Lt.Green said:
Artifact chests; what are the rules for appearing? I've only ever had one pop, did I miss something when I ran through changelogs? Cause other then "completely bats**t random" I'm not quite understanding these
They won't appear if they have nothing to offer you, and the odds of this are pretty slim in single player.