Help, I crash servers when I try to join them!

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ever since 8/1/07, at around 10 or 11 PM, whenever I join a server connected to FN, it complains very shortly after (before I even leave the loading screen) that the server is shutting down. After that point, the server completely leaves my list, leading me to presume that whenever I connect to a server, it crashes. This started happening after I was playing keledrosprelude2 on Hell's Diner with one other player. We went to a map transition to keledrosfinal, and then I got the shut down message while connecting.

I've already reinstalled MSC completely, just in case, but that hasn't fixed anything. I don't seem to crash servers that aren't connected to the main FN server, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my character, or the FN server itself.

My SteamID is STEAM_0:1:5965957, and I'd like to request a character rollback for the FIRST slot to around 6 PM 8/1/07, since I've already tried everything else. My email is [email protected] if you wish to reach me. I appreciate your time.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That was the first thing I did. Now, to the joy of all players (sarcasm), I can crash servers with the latest patch. <_<

If it helps, it happens right around the time it's about to finish precaching resources.

If you're thinking it's BECAUSE of the patch... well, the problem started BEFORE I updated OR reinstalled. At the time of the occurences, I was using JUL2007b. Neither reinsalling with JUL2007b or updating to AUG2007a changed anything. The error message, again, would not appear on servers not currently connected to FN. The exact message:

Disconnected - Reason: Server is Shutting Down

This happened to me on at least 10 occasions, under the same circumstances, on different servers.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
interesting, I rolled your character back to the midnight backup of the 1st of august. If your still having the issue... well I can't think of a reason why it would be happening.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, whatever it was, ya fixed it. Time to make up for all those lost hours. XD

Obligado, Medico!

-The Player whose name is ATRONUS, not Forges. ^_^;

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ARRRGH!

It started... AGAIN.

Welp, it has something to do with the map Keledrosfinal. I did the same thing as before... played Keledrosprelude2... and when we transitioned to final, I started shutting down servers again.

I know a rollback will fix this temporarily... but there must be something up with that map.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You say you're playing a map called "Keledrosfinal", eh? Exactly "Keledrosfinal"? I never heard of a "Keledrosfinal", there is, however, a "Keledrosruins". :eek:

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
it may be your maps aren't up to date, although I don't see how that would make a difference.

Well one thing is to re-run the patch and make sure you say yes to everything when installing the patch.

I will roll you back again, however I can't do this every time you run into a bad transition.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Apologies, brain fart. Got a bit... lysdexic, if you catch my drift.

Yeah, it's Keledrosruins. When I switch from Keledrosprelude2 to that map, it gives the shutdown message, and from that point on, any server I connect to does it.

EDIT: I will avoid playing said maps. However, if it happens again, I will report the circumstances as usual. I'm sorry to be an inconvenience.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, it's been several days, and I hadn't had any problems. Of course, I stayed away from the offending map.

Now, here's something odd. I was playing on nightmare_thornlands. I had cleared the entire map out, and was changing to sfor, on my way to calruin2. Mind you, I've played sfor frequently lately, and not noticed anything odd. However, this time when we changed maps, I ended up shutting down the server... and... well, the rest of the story is basically summed up in the topic of this thread.

I hate to ask this, but could I please get a rollback on slot 1 for STEAM_0:1:5965957? Time of the event was around 9:30 PM on AUG 05, 2007. Please roll me back to the most recent time available. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. I've reinstalled, and there should be no reason why this should happen; all my maps are the latest, and they've all been patched. I'm beginning to wonder if something more complicated isn't at hand.

Sorry for all the chaos,

-Forgescorned Atronus

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't think its your character. Sometimes servers just crash when players join. Unless it happens EVERY time I wouldn't worry about it.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It's not the issue of the server crashing. It's a particular situation where the server sends me a shut down message, and from that point on, ANY server I connect to shuts down. Understand? Additionally, rolling back my character stops this continuous shutdown of servers upon connection immediately.

Is this a reoccuring problem with OTHER people?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
This dude crashed my server with the "Refuse to send 195k char file; maz size is 192k" bug, which I last saw months ago when people could crash servers by trying to learn a ninth tome.

There is something seriously wrong with his character.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
done, I used the 5th noon backup, based it off your post time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This is something I've not much seen since the January fiasco.

I would try sorting through your worn inventory - take all your items (starting with your worn items), dump them on the ground, and pick them back up (maybe on an empty server). The only time I've seen this happen, outside of the January bug, was when an item was corrupted in some strange way. If one of the items you drop turns into something else - leave it behind - it is likely what is causing the problem.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Interesting... turns into "something else", huh? Well, we'll find out...

It may be bossy and a bit callous of me to throw out such ideas, but maybe it's better if you set back the item limit so it's NOT within corruptable reaches? 'Twould seem to be a reasonable security measure. But then, I don't know that much about this item system, so perhaps there's a reason you haven't I'm unaware of.

Thank you for your continued advice... now I have a LOT of re-leveling to do. I did so much in that lost period it wasn't funny. >_<

Thankies... may your hands forge many a masterpiece in the future of this mod.

-Forgescorned Atronus

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
When ya hit the item limit, you don't take the server with you, it's simply that your character gets too large to load to your client. What you've got going is something else.

As it is, 75 is pretty stiff. And you can very often be fine at 75 (Hell, ya can be fine at 100 sometimes). It starts warning you at 60 or so.

Forgescorned Atronus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If this were real life, and you were a doctor diagnosing some new illness, I would have to say "experiment on me", if you'll follow.

I think I might try creating a second slot character and see if it gets the problem. Thanks again for your support!

-Forgescorned Atronus

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Forgescorned Atronus said:
If this were real life, and you were a doctor diagnosing some new illness, I would have to say "experiment on me", if you'll follow.

I think I might try creating a second slot character and see if it gets the problem. Thanks again for your support!

-Forgescorned Atronus

Man, I could make such a bad joke now, but I'll refrain ;-)