How much does this stuff weigh!?!?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Original post
evilsquirrel said:
A simple suggestion...i suggest that you add to the stats page a weight indicator :)

it could go by the money... Current weight/Max weight in Kg

Much better idea

Although its just about as simple as the other one, i think this one works quite a bit better - without the numerical values that the devs (and a few other people) dont want in the weight meter.

The idea is, when you're just walking around and you try to pick up an item thats too heavy it just says its too heavy (like it does now). However, when you're accessing a shop, chest, or other similar item giving location, your weight meter would be displayed (probably larger than normal) at the bottom of your screen.

When you mouse over an item, it would display your weight meter as if you had already grabbed that item, possibly with the excess weight added in a different color (yellow/orange for normal weight, slowpulse blue for weight added by new item or some such)

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
A simple suggestion...i suggest that you add to the stats page a weight indicator :)

it could go by the money... Current weight/Max weight in Kg

Ya know, I dare you to pick up any item and tell me exactly how much it weighs. Similarly, I dare you do tell me, without any investigation, exactly how much damage something does or how much protection it offers. The concept of having exacting measurments in games has always been a silly concept to me. I think that it should go with a more fuzzy system. Have it say "heavy" instead of "30 lbs". Thats my dollar.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
you could have shopkeepers tell you what it actually weighs...but i see where you're coming from on that...

zEdge3

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yea because if an item is too heavy and you buy it then you don't get it and it just steals your delicious and hard earned monies

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah...

by the way kuro...all the bugs in master sword (of all versions, really) made me literally go "D:" when i read that you wanted coders to "convert" the scripting system to source...honestly, with how many coders have been through that code and left commented features and half-working things...also all the lag that it seems to cause, one would think you'd be better off going from scratch.

(of course...MSCentral could still be useful, and *some* code might be nice reference)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Reference = good. Conversion = BAAAAAD.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... I liked that suggestion about seeing if an item is "heavy" or "light"... you could ask shopkeepers if an item is considered "heavy" to the player or not, which would decide if he/she could carry it in the first place (since I've blown 9k trying to stack pots of ice resistance when I couldn't stack anymore).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think he means he wanted similar script system in source, (which is pretty nice to have), rather than the same scripts.

If I could somehow stop time, I'd re-write all the bloody scripts from scratch (granted, there'd be a lot of other things I'd do first, but we wont go into that). There are just too many old bugs and dated methods in it causing issues, and in many spots, I can't even tell what's going on anymore. I'm kinda winding up slowly doing that step by step anyhow.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The weight bug where you buy something and it is too heavy... is something that can be avoided by simply... WATCHING UR WEIGHT TUBBY!

let thothie continue with his work and maybe in the next beta release we'll have ewoks on hang gliders dropping rocks on your enemies instead of some lame shit thing of a merchant telling you "duuurrrr, that thing is kind of heavy. But I want you to buy it from me... tho it's heavy..."

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Then Mario pulled his head out of his butt and realized what forum he is on. This is SOURCE chatter. We're suggesting these things for SOURCE. Code that hasn't been written yet and has nothing to do with Thothie.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Then Mario pulled his head out of his butt and realized what forum he is on. This is SOURCE chatter. We're suggesting these things for SOURCE. Code that hasn't been written yet and has nothing to do with Thothie.

haha, thats a funny thought MiB - mario with his head NOT up his butt

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It's funny because Mario thinks he can come up with a competent insult. Well, I guess incompetent insult from an incompetend person.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
It's funny because Mario thinks he can come up with a competent insult. Well, I guess incompetent insult from an incompetend person.

yeah, guess so.
But thanks MiB for being an asshole, you could have just pointed out my mistake instead of also insulting me for it.

I guess it was more immature of me to try and return insults... I apologize for that.

Me said:
not as funny as MiB's dick in your butt...
:oldlol: yeah, that insult sucks. Only way I could have gone lower would be to talk about your mother, and even that might've been better. :oldlol:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Considering it's been about 1 year since I last talked to her because of things that happened, go ahead. I'll probably join right in.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zEdge3 said:
yea because if an item is too heavy and you buy it then you don't get it and it just steals your delicious and hard earned monies

hmm.. that must have an intersting implementation. I would have assumed that it would have been something like:

bool AddItem( ... ) ;// Try to add item to inventory, returns true on success.
bool BuyItem(...) // try to buy item
{
if( Player->gold >= SelectedItem->price && AddItem(..SelectedItem) )
Player->gold -= SelectedItem->price;

else
... return false;
}

but whom am I to comment on someone elses code, must less on a game I haven't been playing very long.

Thothie said:
I think he means he wanted similar script system in source, (which is pretty nice to have), rather than the same scripts.

If I could somehow stop time, I'd re-write all the bloody scripts from scratch (granted, there'd be a lot of other things I'd do first, but we wont go into that). There are just too many old bugs and dated methods in it causing issues, and in many spots, I can't even tell what's going on anymore. I'm kinda winding up slowly doing that step by step anyhow.

hmm.. this system and its scripts intrigue me, what are they for?(making new weapons/armour and/or controlling NPCs and such? ). I'd like to have a little peek at them :wink: .