Immersion and head bobbing

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Hi,
so I just finished replaying Resident Evil 5 and then I starter to wonder how if I agree with Thothie that 3rd person steals away immersion, how come I could get so immersed in RE5? Then I realized it was because of the head bobbing, which was pretty much done to perfection in RE5. Dark Messiah also had a lot of head bobbing, and it really gives the game so much more.. impact on you. You can really feel that you're punching those zombies or beheading those orcs.

Now for my point; Are you going to have such head bobbing in MS:S? Because that would totally be awesome. :mrgreen:

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I like head bobbing, BUT DON'T OVERDO IT! That always looks awful and then it takes away from immersion.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeeeah... What was that Source mod that overdid it recently? Oh yeah, 1187:Episode 1... They were kind enough to give you the option to turn it off, however, as it made the damn game unplayable (IMO, at least). Granted, it's much worse in a firearm oriented game than in a melee oriented one. I figure, any non-game-affecting immersion should have the option to be turned off. ( Bloom and weather being MSC's own prime examples. ;) )

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Sometimes it pays to make things more arcade than immersive. Sometimes not. We'll have to see how it works out as we get later in development.

If you really want to see some crazy leaning, headbobbing, falling over, or shaking check out Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If there is head bobbing, it will be able to be turned off. I understand it can aggravate motion sickness, so turning it off will be an option.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
It also depends on how heavy the head bobbing is.

Minimal up/down movement when walking wont anoy much butinsane shaking is very annoying, damn Im already annoyed when the camera shakes after falling from high plaves in MSC.

Also I dont see anything less immersive with 3rd person, immersion is more about how you interact with the enviroment rather than which perspective you see it from.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
FER said:
Also I dont see anything less immersive with 3rd person, immersion is more about how you interact with the enviroment rather than which perspective you see it from.

Well it depends on character immersion vs self immersion. Even in first person, self immersion can be ruined by poorly implemented head bobbing where pure control and no show would have been a better option. Well implemented head bobbing might make it feel like you're really there though.

Personally I think sound is the most immersive attribute in a game. See the MYST series for a good example of that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
Can't think of anything that kills immersion faster than seeing the back of your head from 5 feet behind yourself, but maybe I just don't have that many OBE's. It really seems to me that, save in those very few situations where it is critical to game mechanic, they only implement it when they are worried that a game is becoming "too real" or "too scary".

It's also optional in MSC, but I don't pay much attention to it, so it's also screwy as hell.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
DarkWasp said:
Personally I think sound is the most immersive attribute in a game. See the MYST series for a good example of that.

As a sound whore I approve of this.