Is there a guide for this anywhere?

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I am virtually confused 90% of the time while playing this game. Wiki doesn't seem to help.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
There are no guides, just annoying people on the forum who will generally answer your questions >_>

What exactly is the problem?

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How do I know which weapons are good and which are bad, besides using them with trial and error?

When I attack something, whats the "50/25" (or some other combination of numbers) before it says how much damage i do to them mean?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, you'll want to stay away from weapons that SOUND bad, such as DULL knife, RUSTY sword, etc. Mostly, it will come down to a few factors for determining how good a weapon is:

1. The name - Weapons that are given a title, such as Greater Ice Blade or Calrian's Mace, will be better than general names, such as A Shortsword
2. Location - Weapons that are harder to find will usually be better, though this isn't always the case ;-)

Other than those, it really is mostly trial and error. When testing, you'll want to figure out the average damage per second (not exactly, but generally). For instance The Great Axe does massive damage, but the miss chance is so high and the speed is so slow that the DPS isn't that good. The Torkalath Blade does decent damage, attacks quickly, and has a very low miss chance, so the DPS is quite high.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The numbers (50/25) or (x/y) are your hit roll and hit chance where x is your roll and y is your accuracy with the weapon you are using. x is random 1-100 . To hit x must roll above y.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well.. y is accuracy in a way.. Really it's your INaccuracy ;-) You want the number to be as low as possible >_>

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And I take it you need a group to go in the hard places?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
A group, or enough persistence, or a high enough level ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
rollerskates.gif

Ya know, one thing I've been considering putting up is kind of an in-forum wiki FAQ... A sticky in Support with a FAQ where the community could submit questions and answers they knew, and I could copy them up to the top post as they were approved (saves me time writing). Maybe some of the questions that I've posed, but just not taken the time to write answers to could be answered by others as well. I've been building a FAQ from time to time as I've gone on. So far I have:

FAQ_WIP said:
GAME PLAY:
How do I get experience to raise my skills?
How do I gain health?
What do my stats mean?
How do I raise stats?
How do I gain mana?
How do I raise parry?
How do I get new spells?
Where do I find chests?
Where do I get gold?
Where do I find quests?
Where do I get item XXXX? >D*
Can I change my character's name?*
Any other advice for new players?*

TROUBLESHOOTING - MINOR:
I can't see at night!*
Rain makes me lag!*
Snow makes me blind!*
Glow makes me lag!*
My FPS suck! (Graphics/CPU related lag issues) *
My latency sucks! (Network lag issues) *

TROUBLESHOOTING - MAJOR:
MOD:Extra*
My custom map crashed?*
Map crashes on server change?*
My character is gone / unloadable!*
My character is missing a major item!*

SERVERS:
How do I create my own server?* (note modextra)
People lag on my server!*
Server crashes!*
* = ones I've not written answers to yet.
Some would be redirected to other stickies we already have (eg. "How do I create my own server?")

Ya'll think I should take the time to put it up, or do we just have too many stickies in there already? ;)

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ummmm.. wtf :(

I just bought a Full Knights Armor for like 1500g and it didn't give it to me, but took all my money away..

Is there any way I could get it back, Im on an FN server? Damn that took like 2-3 hours to farm for :(

When I click it again, it says I cant afford it obviously, but it also says it's too heavy for my equipment. Is that a bug or something? I think It took my money but it was supposed to not take my money and just tell me it's too heavy.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmm... If it was too heavy, it should have appeared at your feet. :/

Ya can request a rollback in the FN section (see the stickies there under what to do if my characters gone) - but your character sounds pretty young, so a roll back might hurt, a lot. Backups are made... err... Jeeze, I forget how often, about every 6 hours I think.

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It's probably not worth it, my guy is 17 but getting that much gold isnt that bad.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
xlokix said:
How do I know which weapons are good and which are bad, besides using them with trial and error?

I've been meaning to discuss with Thothie whether it'd be good to add weapon specifications in the description line. Right now, it says things like "a two-handed axe" or "plate mail, providing good protection" and the like.

I mean - I don't even remember the difference between the Dirk and the Dagger (I know now, though, after looking at the scripts). I added those weapons to add diversity, but they weren't properly distributed (i.e. daggers sold in Edana - Dirks are one "level" below the dagger, supposed to get you up from the rusty knife, then when you get to, say, Helena, you can purchase the dagger).

Anyway, what would people think of the item description listing item statistics, such as protection for the armour, accuracy and damage (the base damage, excluding the multiplication of your weapon skill)?

Special/magical abilities would be hidden, of course, for you to explore.

Clearly, people, especially new ones, are getting confused, and it'd be easier than to add a new GUI for weapon stats, unless Thothie would like to do that.

If not, I could take care of the stats listed in the description line, so he could work on the more important stuff.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The description line is pretty full on most of the weapons...

Might be better to get a console or chat command to display the stats of the active weapon, or see if you can get the menu-item "weapon description" to give that info in the combat hud.

The var names are not 100% consistant, but I suspect it is something that could be added to base_melee, where most weapons register their primary attack.

Beware, I've made changes to items/base_melee since since your script archive, so eh, try to keep changes modular. :)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Any plan on adding monster health in the hud (below the monster's name) to make easir to see the health bar? Because its either waay up or inside the monster

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
Any plan on adding monster health in the hud (below the monster's name) to make easir to see the health bar? Because its either waay up or inside the monster
As I said, that bloodstone ring effect needs a lot of aesthetic work, but I can't think of anyway to make its positioning consistant.

Sadly, I thus far have no method of sticking stuff on your hud.

The only sane place to put it in the combat hud, would be in your damage report, which is done on the hard code side... I might be able to move it to the script side though.

Maybe something along the lines of:
You attack an orc, hit! Damage 22.7 (66%)
(or maybe xx hp)

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Perhaps the item title could return the damage? Accuracy is easily found upon attacking, but damage is so variable it's hard to determine a weapons max damage output.

Short Sword (Damage: 1-2)
A short sword.

Or something.

But I think weapon description in the console would be the best solution to keep things more "epic" and less based on statistics.

Something that could be assigned to a hotkey.

I also like the idea of returning the enemy HP in the HUD:

You attack an orc, hit! Damage 22.7 (66%)
You attack an orc, hit! Damage 22.7 (44.3/60)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Damage isn't as straight forward as that, if you look at the item scripts.

It's a base damge +/- a damage range - which is sometimes actually several times the base damage, this is all multiplied by a ratio of the associated skill. Plus you likely want to return base accuracy as well, certainly speed, and maybe even value, to have a truly useful stat set.

I also like the idea of returning the enemy HP in the HUD:
Yeah, assuming you have the bloodstone ring. ;) Just thought that maybe current and max maybe a bit spammy (hud's pretty spammy as it is). But again, it would involve moving the damage reports from the main code to the scripts - which may not be too hard, but I've not looked into it.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, it`s the base damage I was thinking of listing.

Also, is there a way to manually override the HUD text? At 1920x1200, the test is pretty big.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis just often the base damage is less of a factor for final damage than the damage range, is what I'm saying.

As for fonts, you'll have to try swapping font files in:
msc\gfx\vgui\fonts

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I suppose, but let's take the Short Sword and the Scimitar for example.

The Short Sword has a higher minimum base damage, but the Scimitar has half the minimum base damage, but higher max base damage.

People should know what they`re sacrificing (I myself value a high minimum damage more than its maximum).

I notice the difference when fighting, so it has to make some significant difference.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think there should be a Cutlass of Dreadwind, a hidden chest aboard the ship in Deralia. It having shortswords minimum and scimitar maximum with rune blade's speed, plus a medium length leap charge attack, tripling both minimum and maximum damage but uses all of your stamina. :D

xlokix

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have a schmitar(sp) right now, I've never really come across anything that felt better at my level.

Maybe you could take a page from WoW and when you hover over items, it shows a little stats window.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Aye, that would be perfect. Hovering over the icon on the inventory panel.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Aye, that would be perfect. Hovering over the icon on the inventory panel.
Keep dreaming. ;)

The Short Sword has a higher minimum base damage, but the Scimitar has half the minimum base damage, but higher max base damage.
Eh, that ain't (or shouldn't be) right...

The Scimitar has a base 180dmg, and a +/- 50 range, with a 1.1 second attack.

The Shortsword has a base 140dmg, with a +/- 110 range, with a 1.1 second attack.

The Simitar actually has a narrower damage variation than the Shortsword, and will usually do more damage, but the Shortsword has a chance to do quite a bit more damage, from time to time.