Mastering skills

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
As you gain more levels in a skill, there should be milestone levels where you get something special, whether it be an ability, an item, a special, etc.

Milestones would be spread all throughout the level range so that people would always have something to shoot for. The last milestone would be at the highest level.

Archery
1 Ability - Can use a grappling arrow
2 Quest - For crossbow
3 Special - Multiple arrow shot. Randomly picks between 2 and 5.
4 Free range armor
5 Quest - The ultimate bow
6 Quest - The ultimate range armor (Lightweight, archery power/range increase)

Swordsmanship
1 Ability - Sword throwing. Balancing trait - chance that the monster will take your sword. Also, a bad throw may end the sword up in a place you can't get it (in time or ever).
2 Go to a fencer and he'll give you a special Fencing sword (Fast and good to parry with [If random parrying, higher chance])
3 Quest - Rune shield (If rune shield is NOT the highest shield)
4 Special - Cleave. Player jumps into the air and brings their sword down on the enemy as they fall. Small chance of instant kill, same chance of hurting yourself when you fall. Everytime you complete the special, you would be slightly stunned.
5 Quest - Ultimate armor (including shield)
6 Quest - Excalibur, or some either ultimate sword.

Spell Casting (Now that I think of it, Abilities would probably just be more spells for wizards)
1 Low leveled staff from mage shop (Staves are containers that hold 1 spell. When you attack with it, it uses that spell. Same mana costs and everything apply)
2 Ability - Foresight. Essentially, an out of body experience where you can walk (or if it's possible, fly. Would have to be noclip but still affected by walls and such) around to see if there's danger in the room ahead.
3 Ability - Full heal. Takes all your mana and gives you full health.
4 Quest - High leveled staff. Same as the low level version, but reduces mana cost and raises power
5 Ability - Push. Pushes one enemy back (hard). Slow cast, high mana cost, high stamina cost (if stamina works for magic).
6 Quest - Find the enchantment to give ultimate protection (It would essentially be armor that didn't weigh anything and was always equipped). Also, allow players to gain mastery in sub levels (Only 1 milestone for them) to do more damage, have higher AoE, etc.

Axe Handling
1 Ability - Power Strike. High damage attack that has a slow recovery time.
2 Ability - Berserker. For a certain amount of time (Say, [Your level] * seconds), you have a large speed and power increase. The recovery time on this is LONG (You can only use it once every 20-30 minutes or so). Possible other balancing factor: Your health drains while using it.
3 Quest - Berserker Axe. Increases Berserker time, power, and speed.
4 Quest - Kill a Demon Bear and bring the pelt to an armorer for demonic armor. When you wear it, you gain a large power boost and defense boost. Downside - Hurts while you wear it, evilness increases (not permanently), and you can't wear it if you have too high of 'goodness' level
5 Quest - Great Axe. A powerful axe THAT ACTUALLY HITS
6 Quest - Sanctify demon armor. Power bonus > demon armor, heals while wearing, weapons do holy damage (holy weapons do MORE holy damage, too). Downside: Evil players can't wear it.

Blunt
1 Special - Whirlwind. Player spins in a circle with their weapon held out. Does damage in a radius based on weapon's length. Downside: Possible Dizziness.
2 Quest - Calrain's mace. That's right. Make it a quest, now :O
3 Ability - "Stab". Essentially, you take your weapon and, rather than swinging it, you "stab" at their face. Quick attack, not as powerful as a swing.
4 Ability - Earthquake. Player pounds their weapon into the ground which causes the ground within a certain distance (possibly extends per level) to shake and stun enemies.
5 Quest - Ultimate armor quest.
6 Quest - Garronhroth's (I still don't know how to spell it >_>) Hammers. Forced duel wielding, high speed, high damage.

Martial Arts
1 Ability - Punch combo. Punch X amount of times depending on level (No, level 100 wouldn't be 100 punches.)
2 Special - 1 inch punch. (Credit to Bruce Lee) High damage attack that pushes enemies back and possibly stuns. Since it's 1-inch, one needs to be right on the enemy (Hugger dagger range OR LESS).
3 Quest - Elemental Gauntlets of your choice (One time quest.)
4 Special - Pummel. Attacks with powered up punches and kicks until your stamina bar is gone.
5 Quest - Demon gauntlets. Powerful, fast
6 Quest - Train with a martial arts master (Basically, just go through a special level with MA only). Once you've trained, you can fight him to gain a black belt (Stat bonuses).

Small Arms
1 Dagger toss - Plain and simple. Throw a dagger (Probably have special daggers that can be thrown instead of trying to throw PFCKs)
2 Special - 2 handed stab. Player uses both hands to thrust dagger into enemy. Slow but powerful.
3 Ability - Wall Climb. Using special climbing daggers, players can climb walls that allow daggers to pierce them. (Soft walls, walls with cracks, etc)
4 Quest - Ultimate dagger.
5 Quest - Ultimate armor. Probably some sort of leather, but probably not from cows ;-)
6 Ability - Stealth, dependant on movement (including mouse movement), light, and skill.

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Added all but Small Arms. Off to class again. I should have small arms ready before I get back :D

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Some of those ideas (like foresight) seem borrowed from other games, but they still sound awesome for MSC :D

Too bad that, unless the devs are already doing this, they can't tack it on without adding a couple of years to the release date of MS:S (whenever that is, which I'm sure we'll be informed of in two or so years).

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Some of those ideas (like foresight) seem borrowed from other games, but they still sound awesome for MSC :D

Too bad that, unless the devs are already doing this, they can't tack it on without adding a couple of years to the release date of MS:S (whenever that is, which I'm sure we'll be informed of in two or so years).

how exactly does this add YEARS to development, net? months maybe, but alot of this is script and model stuff, so it could be done while maps are still going...

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I did take some of the ideas (Foresight = Mysteries of the Sith), but I think they'll all work. I honestly don't see them taking about YEARS, and even if they did, I think it would add a lot of value to the game.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
squirrel always agrees and i always disagree... lawl...

cool ideas, though not something I would want to look forward too when playing MS.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
squirrel always agrees and i always disagree... lawl...

cool ideas, though not something I would want to look forward too when playing MS.

you disagree because you want to see a MS:C source port mario...by the size of the community, something isn't working - so we need to take into consideration how we can IMPROVE the gameplay...