MAX_MAP_FACES alternative solutions

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Getting MAX_MAP_FACES in the HLBSP phase on all but the most ancient versions of Shad_Palace, including the original versions handed to me by Rickler.

Rather than holding up the patch until I hear back from him as to how the hell he managed to get this monster of a map to compile, anyone have any other idears on how to fix this bugger? Driving me nuts. ><

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Most likely due to a vis carve from a cylinder on a plane (or something similar in that nature). Check to see if any object is making its neighbor quadruple itself, and if so, func_wall the sh!t out of it.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, this is Rickler's work - nuttin like that around here... More to the point, he managed to compile it somehow - but I figure he must just be using some bizzare compile parameter I'm not catching onto.

Here's what I be usin:
hlcsg -low "%1.map" -chart -wadautodetect -nowadtextures -cliptype smallest -nullfile null_list.txt %2 %3 %4 %5
hlbsp -low "%1.map" -chart %2 %3 %4 %5
hlvis -low -estimate -full -chart "%1.map" %2 %3 %4 %5
hlrad -threads 3 -low -estimate -extra -sparse -lights "lights.rad" "%1.map" %2 %3 %4 %5 -nolog

Coupled with -texdata 5000, to cover the slight texture overflow.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I know this is pretty dumb to ask but I'll ask it anyway... There are no leaks right?

And there is no way to actually up the face limit from 65536?

Tommy's site isn't much help on the subject although he does name off 3 different compilers to help battle map limits.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Doubt there's a way to break the limit, but there's likely a switch or setting that would reduce the number of faces... But I've tried all the ones I can think of - and a few that I hadn't, until today's frantic research.

...And yes, there are no leaks. >_> Have you ever SEEN one of Rickler's maps? ;)

Tommy's site is pretty dated - generally when he starts naming other compilers (MHLT for instance), they've since been intergrated into ZHLT (and/or no longer exist).

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Tis true, Rickler has some amazing maps. I'm just trying to rule out all possibilities. What did you have to do in order for a fresh compile?

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
What did you have to do in order for a fresh compile?
Eh... Come again? It just won't compile, neither the original file from Rickler nor my tweaked version.

I've tried stripping the hell out of it, but can't seem to get it down to a compilable level. The only version I have that will compile is very old. It not only lacks some of the nicer looking areas, but also changes the basic structure of game play, by putting the throne room in the middle of the map, instead of the end. That'd mean more script work as well, as I'd have to change the behavior of the orcs appearing after the throne room. (As opposed to Rickler's new version, where all the other orcs are dead by the time you get there, so it's a non-issue.)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, fiddled with both of those, no such luck... WTF is Rickler? :(

In anycase, I fell back on my old map-hacking skills of Ripenting... Although, I managed to be a tad more delicate in that I managed to rape one of the .map source files I had until it conformed to the BSP, and thus could do ent_only compiles from Hammer. The damned map still has some sploitie bits I'd like to fix, but I did what I could... You'll also notice Runegahr is sitting in front of his throne, rather than on it - as I couldn't change the type of brush his throne was made out of. It was that, or make him sit on it like L.

I suspect, despite all that, Shad Palace will still be making the pick of the month though:
JAN2010_centerfold.jpg

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Wasn't that room supposed to be the hidden treasure room anyway (being overgrown by plants and all, and it has the hidden transition thingy) rather than the throne room...?
I don't even recall a throne room (I do remember a beautiful library) but maybe I'm mistaken.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
He expanded quite a bit since the revision he gave you.

That's the throne room.

Secret room is thus:
centerfold_JAN2010.jpg

Probably second runner up for Miss January 2010.