momentary_rot_button

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Is there any way to reverse the direction of rotation for this entity? Entering a negative value in the distance (# of degrees rotated) field gives rather odd and undesired results...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Odd, that should work fine... Only other options that I know of are X-axis and Y-axis flags. Try a monetary door?

I suppose it'd be a pain, but if need be, you can get the same effect with some env_renders, a func_button, and a func_door_rotating.

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
OK, I got it. I used a hilarious workaround.

What I was trying to achieve was this: A lever (momentary_rot_button) opens two doors (both also momentary_rot_button, set up using the Door Hack). The problem was that both doors would rotate in counterclockwise direction around the z-axis, meaning one would open 'towards' you and one 'away' from you. Obviously that looks like ass.

What I did was: I rotated the door that I wanted to rotate in clockwise direction (ie. also 'away' from me) 90 degrees counterclockwise around the y-axis. Then I set its rotation axis to the x-axis. And, finally, I set "angles" to "90 0 0", which effectively means the door would be rotated 90 degrees clockwise around the y-axis in-game, restoring it to its original position. And it worked!

In Hammer, it looks like this. In BSP Viewer, it still looks as if it's not going to work (note "spawnflags" = "65", which is "Door Hack" (1) plus "X-Axis" (64)).
But in-game, it actually works! And both doors now rotate in the same direction! Took me well over two hours, but I'd say it was worth it.

Note: It took me so long to get this right because I had to figure out which number of the "angles" value does what. From what I learned (these insights might be useful),
  • The first value causes clockwise rotation around the y-axis (as seen in the side (x/z) view).
  • The second value causes counterclockwise rotation around the z-axis (as seen in the top (x/y) view).
  • The third value causes counterclockwise rotation around the x-axis (as seen in the front (y/z) view).

One would expect that the three values of the "angles" field would represent either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation around the x-, y- and z-axes, respectively, and not in the above order (yzx), randomly clock- or counterclockwise... Oh well.