Moving to Source

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
vomica uses milkshape (not trying to diss cuz i use it too) but high quality models are in 3dsMax and thoes type of programs.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
You can do a high quality models in milkshape, you'll just make them in about 5 times that of which you'd do in max/maya

Milkshapes good to learn the basics of 3d modelling, but more complex detailed, well animation deforming meshs, take much less time to do in max. There are a lot of good tools in max that would really help you guys out.

I'm willing to do an online tutorial with you guys over MSN if you want to get to grips with max, I know when I started max up for the first time, I was like :oldshock: omg!

But if you have someone show you what you need, its really very easy to get used to, and if you can use Milkshape allready, you'll really reap the rewards, and thing "god thats so much easier in max!"

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Gaz if you made a video tutorial (with voice), then that would be way cool.. cuz i dont have msn anymore.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I tried making a model in XSI...

My head exploded from information over load. I then decided that modeling was to complicated, although this talk of 3Dsmax...

I may just have to try again.

*edit*

oooo a voice tutorial would be the best!

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well, if people want a free modeling program and cant afford/ dont want to worry about legal issues they can get Wings 3D:

http://www.wings3d.com/ its free, and pretty good.

thou i still prefer my legal copy of max6.

ceriux said:
what is urs a dungeon calwler RPG?
umm... I haven't really given it any 'type' or 'label' for it.
Right now its just DM, cause im just working on the different systems its going to use. Skill sys, Inventory, Status/Effects/Potions, Saving/Loading Char data, etc. Once those are down i'll prolly move onto getting NPCs working and coop-ish gameplay.

Thou if you wanted to get an idea of whats it will be like, i've been thinkin of making it similar to Diablo2( but with first-person and third person :p ).

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I should P|Barnum!

Anyone know the software that I could use?

vecraude

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Why not use basic character textures from MS:C for now and update later so thats pretty taken care of.

And the mapping would be pretty tedious and diffacult in my own opinion but hey if you guys pulled something like MS:C out of yer arses and made it a GOD among all other mods than im sure a handful of maps can be patched up somewhat presentable for the people so they know how well its goin along so far.

Weapons are a small detail but the details are a big one so just vamp up the MS:C textures and lay a more graphic image of what already exists and place it into the game ^_^.

Mobs....hmm....since it would take a while I would say work on things found in thornlands and sfor for now and go in and revamp with monthly updates.

MS:S can only be as complicated as you say it is but with some fine tuning of whats already in MS:C you can have a possable beta than fine tune it into something entirely god like.

Think about it a lot of source mods are based off of their previous regular releases...just revamped so the player gets the classic lovable gameplay with better graphics and a more stimulating action.

Though I will say this...you guys are making great strides and see something far greater than normal expectations....thats great thinking but thats also what patches are for :p .

All in all I would say...and im not the expert or anything...is make a basic trial of MS:S so players will get a drop of goodness and see how things will work...If nothing else do what reveered video make makers do and make a basic 3d textured simple map with basic squares and platforms and such and maybe throw in a weapon, an NPC (non activatable), an object, and a mob with a simple lay out and release that as a visual on what it will be like and have players far and wide expect it.

Sorry if this seems in any sort of way demanding...cause it isnt...I just seen this twilight resident evil source mod and it released something like that and I was drooling lol.

But hey no one but the developers know how far the project is and there is a certain distance into the development when you should release teasers or demos of the likes. If I knew how to do anything I would be more than happy to lend more assistance than just throwin out ideas...

Though I am happy to see this mod hit the source engine with all pistons pumping and I as well as many others am eager to help in any way, shape, or form.

Rock the internet hard guys! :wink:

xxxcoldmanxxx

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
nuuuuuuu

Dont go to source please i think msc is good on hl1 engine even tho ppl mite thing the graphics suck but still its nice :) and i havent got to lvl 30 yet v.v

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
thtohie is in charge of msc while the old msc team moves to source

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Gaz said:
Yeah, I should P|Barnum!

Anyone know the software that I could use?

Haha little late in response, but here is a free program.

Wisdom-soft AutoScreenRecorder 2.1 Pro (sorry no link)

Humming Bird

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WeissberV said:

No! Source!!! I don't have HL2, but I'll think about getting it once I build my new PC this summer.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
why would you not get HL2? Think of all the mods!!

there are some groups out there really making some good stuff.

like the Zombie Master mod, its just so clever, although quite a bit unbalanced.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Humming Bird said:
WeissberV said:

No! Source!!! I don't have HL2, but I'll think about getting it once I build my new PC this summer.
#

i don't get what u mean

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm confused. The old MS:C team? Is Thothie the only one developing (not counting map developers) for MS:C?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Evaan said:
I'm confused. The old MS:C team? Is Thothie the only one developing (not counting map developers) for MS:C?

Afaik yes...Orochi and i helps him but neither Orochi nor me and full time active members

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie is the one doing basically everything, but I think Shuriken and The Man In Black are also helping with scripts, or at least are trying to, and Orochi does alot in the modelling department.

Next to that, the only new maps we get are from freelance mappers. Evil Squirrel created "the forgotten outpost" (foutpost) and he finished "the Bloodrose mountains" (bloodrose), Replica finished "Wicard Oven" (ms_wicardoven), LittleFrodo made "the bandit's keep" (the_keep), and Oedipus made a map that doesn't have any real name as far as I know (island1).

A long time ago, Thothie did a (very good) RipEnt job on "the Thornlands" and created "the nightmare Thornlands" (nightmare_thornlands). Avoozl and P|Barnum made "the frozen summit" (ms_snow) but that was also a very long time ago. Avoozl pretty much vanished.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Which is really too bad, we could have had another map from him. Its not like he just vanished from MS:C, I never see him on Steam.

There are plenty of maps to finish, we just need a little dedication, or at least, I do.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
Which is really too bad, we could have had another map from him. Its not like he just vanished from MS:C, I never see him on Steam.

There are plenty of maps to finish, we just need a little dedication, or at least, I do.

He is also gone from MSN

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, people grow up and get more important things to do.

Education takes up a lot of people's time, and to some - love plays a major part.

I think most would consider MS to be a hobby project. Most mods are to developers, and to some, a personal educational experience in game development.

Thing is, if someone makes a post claiming they're leaving, people get upset and arrogant.

I at least hope those who left gave a notice to the team.

Wave a couple of bills and I'm sure you'll have more people surrounding the developer's table.

I know it's difficult to gather the funding for such, but paying someone for getting a certain job done (i.e. remodelling the weapons or monsters) would definitively provide much more motivation, and perhaps even greater results, and more dedicated time.

Something to keep in mind for the Source edition of MS, I suppose...

How do you motivate people to donate to the team? As with collector's edition of most online RPG games nowadays, offer unique items to those who contribute to the team. Not overly powerful (preferably somewhat to par with the highest high-end-item), but distinguishable.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i would donate if i could create a character with an elven player model (once and if its made)

jord230790

New Adventurer
Reaction score
oo :D

Wow Master Sword : Source

can i be the first to get the gravity gun and GarrysMod gun plz :p

btw J-M is fucking sexy

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Do you have a thing for J-M and Jelly?

If so, I don't think they have a thing for you...

Teyh Rolen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If the move to source is successful, you can bet you'll see me there. If MS:C for the Half Life engine is as good as it is now, I can't even begin to imagine it on Source.

I'm always on the lookout for good free MMO mods that have this sort of experience style, and this sort of gameplay, and I always find myself coming back here. I just never thought to take the time to register on the forums (What with college and job hunting - hurray for working at Best Buy now!).

But now, I'm glad I did, as I can see the community and get some helpful tips maybe!

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Throwing Blood Drinker would be interesting with physics.

ALSO GRAVITY SCROLL. *picks up rock and throws it with mind*