MSC Scripting Sub Forum

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This forum section is for questions that potential MSC Scripters may wish to ask, as well as sharing scripts.

If you want the source on a specific script, name it (or describe it best you can, if you don't know the specific file), and I'll post it up here.

Similarly, if you have any questions, post them in this section. If you have a script that isn't working, please paste that too, preferably in [code] brackets.

Most all the documentation on scripting that is available can be found in your MSC install under %steam_path%\steamapps\common\Half-Life\msc\test_scripts

More specifically, as stated in "!test_scripts_go_here.txt":

!test_scripts_go_here.txt said:
• ms.stx - Primary reference file
- The formatting in this document is difficult to read, however, as it also doubles as a syntax file for EditPlus:
http://www.editplus.com/download.html

• Scripting_AllDocs.txt
- Is the original script write up by Dogg with some edits, but it is not as up to date as the ms.stx

• Scripts_Read_Me.txt
- Provides some additional info regarding syntax and common problems.

In that folder are several subfolders with about a thousand example scripts. These can be opened with any text reader (eg. Notepad), though EditPlus, configured with the ms.stx, will also provide syntax highlighting. These examples are automatically updated with each new patch, and we usually add a few more with each update.

Using test scripts requires no compiling. Merely place your new script file in the test_scripts folder, and follow the instructions at the top of test_scripts/!test_scripts_go_here.txt on how to configure your server or listenserver to use them with the test_scripts map . Keep in mind, one limitation of the "compile-less" script system is that you can't add custom items (more of an internal limitation than an anti-cheat feature - unlike the fact that test_scripts will not function on [FN]).

If a mapper uses your script, and it's published, you'll get one reward from Sembelbin in that patch. Should you prove proficient, we'll get you the compiler and start you on learning how to do items and spells.

Good luck, and happy creature creation.

(Also note, come next patch, you will be able to make items and spells under the test_scripts system, and a plethora of examples will be provided.)

MORE STICKIES PENDING!

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, either you or MiB had some custom settings for Edit+ that colorized the text specifically for msc scripting (setvar/d, $get, etc...). It helped me a lot with scripting in the past.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Good call...

!test_scripts_go_here.txt said:
• ms.stx - Primary reference file
- The formatting in this document is difficult to read, however, as it also doubles as a syntax file for EditPlus:
http://www.editplus.com/download.html
To use the ms.stx with EditPlus, go to Tools->Configure User Tools...->File,Settings & Syntax. Then create a profile for .script files, if you haven't already. Enter the path and name of the ms.stx in the "Syntax File:" blank. (Or browse to it with the [...] button to the right of the blank.)

I'm hoping to get a syntax highlighter for Notepad++ by rigging up a proggie to convert the ms.stx into the XML it likes (though the XML would be useless as a reference).