Patch suggestion thread

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
This thread is about what you think went right and what could be improved on in the new patch. There is already a bug report thread so lets leave bugs and glitches out of this discussion and focus instead on game-play elements.

Firstly, damn good job with the new item storage system. The game is all the better for it now. Hemeriodius did suggest to me that he would someday like to see a more interesting looking storage system. He suggested a walking treasure chest with legs. I like his idea quite a bit. I also wouldn't mind seeing a rideable storage donkey or something (I don't want to have to stop using the term 'mule').

I am super excited about the new pets and I am even more excited by what will come in the future in this area. I do hope, however, that there will be more places to catch winterwolves that are more fitting than aleyesu. That would mean more snow type maps which I bet is fine by everyone. They could also be made as a rare trigger in ms_snow. They could spawn randomly at low rates, perhaps.
Another thing I would like to see with pets is the ability to revive them for a large sum of gold. It has been easy for the wolf to get accidentally killed by some idiot climbing the catapult in helena, or even by doors in some cases. I think this would serve to make pets more popular, as well as helping to gradually build a respectable economy in this game. How much gold I do not know, but one way the cost could factor is by how much HP your pet has times x number(their strength stat, maybe?). Basically the stronger your pet is the more money he costs to revive.
Another similar idea is the ability to sell pets to different npcs or organizations around the world. An example could be selling your wolf to a dog fighter or pet breeder. Perhaps more than one npc would be willing to buy your pet, but offer you differing prices for them. Or, perhaps any town npc could have a very rare chance of giving you a random buying price for your pet based on said pets stats. I like the petfighters and breeder ideas best though.
And speaking of pet breeding... Perhaps that is a workable idea in the distant future? Also, what about ride-able pets/summons, like horses or donkeys or even birds? Or who knows what else? The idea seems feasible if you force the rider to view themselves in third person while mounted.

Does anybody else think the spawn rates for the new items might be slightly too high? It seems like people get both new bows in one run almost every run.

The new armors are great. They, along with the Wondrous chests, make MSC almost as twice as good as it was before the last patch. The uniqueness of each armor is helping to build depth to the way people look and play in this game. In the future I would love to see more armors that are just as varied. It would be nice to have a few brand new armor models though, rather than reskins of the current model. With that said, I have no problems with more reskins.
One thing I would like to see in the future is more dynamic equipments of other types, like vests, coats, and robes/cloaks. This would require alot of work and many new models. However, we already seem to have some things semi available like that weird Orochis coat thing.
Some potential ideas are having any player wearing a heavy armor type have high defense, increased fall damaged based on their overall weight and any buffs/abilities it may have. People wearing vests could have mediocre defense and the ability to do a small double jump in the air, as well as any individualized buff the vest may have. Players in coats could have relatively poor defense but an automatic -25% defense against arrows, plus any buffs. Robes and cloaks would have abysmal defense ratings but would also provide the wearer an increase in magical power, plus magic related buffs. It might also be appropriate to have robes/cloaks restrict or forbid certain headgear like helmets so people didn't look stupid.
I have to wonder if the dev team has any future plans for other types of equipment like this, and if so I would love to know what you are cooking up.

Perhaps that earth titan (or a future earth titan?) on thanatos could be given two or three more attacks? The boulder(s) toss is a perfect attack to give that boss. I would also like to see him do an AoE earthquake attack that caused decent damage as well as a chance to stun all players in range.

I am somewhat opposed to the new day and night/weather system. I like that clients have the ability to disable the visual effects because it is just not realistic to force everyone to view something that might look terrible. However, day and night, as well as the weather system, are fairly pointless right now. I still think there should be a global game time that is decided either by the server or by FN. When the time changes the visuals can be disabled by the client but the time change/environment change should cause things to happen. Potential ideas for events that can happen are different monster spawns based on the time/weather. Rain doesn't last forever, for example, so if a high exp or treasure/gold yielding toad appeared on a map only when it rained it would cause a mad dash to kill as many as you could before the time ran out. Challenging and fun monsters or rare monsters could also appear based on the environment changes. New Npcs could arrive or have a chance of arriving. Old npcs could do or say new things, or open new quests.
Stats could also be effected. Players and/or monsters could become weak or strong against certain elements based on the weather/environment. If it was raining, for example, lightning magic could do increased damage. This feature,along with changing spawns, would make for very dynamic gameplay. Especially on any exploratory oriented maps.

And we need more exploration maps like thornlands for mid-high levels players.

Feel free to post any ideas, suggestion, or praise that you may have. If you are a mod please divulge any information on the course of MSCs future as you can.

HVR

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Same.
Also where's the pet sharks?
Maybe an instrument like a flute you can play during idle maps?
Make a band?

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
"The new armors are great."
I couldn't disagree more, at least about the aura of fire. Seriously, firelizard is way better in my opinion. Same def, more fire resistance, much lighter, no STR requirement and much easier to get. I hate to see such an awesome looking thing being crappier than a fugly noob orange leather armor.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
I couldn't disagree more, at least about the aura of fire. Seriously, firelizard is way better in my opinion. Same def, more fire resistance, much lighter, no STR requirement and much easier to get. I hate to see such an awesome looking thing being crappier than a fugly noob orange leather armor.
But no ice resistance or constant enemy torching.

As someone once said: not every new item has to be the absolute best.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
constant enemy torching.
torching for 7 damage at extreme close range.

Maybe it sucks because it spawns a nashalraht with its quite hard for it (islesofdread1&acid plate is somewhat more fitting)

Anyway, what makes every new armor useless for me is the "no xp loss" from AoB, specially at high leveles where 2% xp quite ahrd to get. Why would i take off my AoB?

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
HumanSteak said:
But no ice resistance or constant enemy torching.
The enemy torching is actually a bad thing, since it doesn't repeatedly do fire damage, it hits monsters with a DoT, so it blocks spells/weapon effects from doing damage.

...(Also fire aura/acid plate don't give exp for the damage they do.)

True, the strength requirement seems to hint that it is a lower level armor (30 vs AoB's/Phoenix Armor's 40), though it is a bit strange that it was put in an endgame map. (Move Phoenix Armor -> Aura of Fire location, Move Aura of Fire -> Phoenix Armor location?)

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Keldorn said:

True, the strength requirement seems to hint that it is a lower level armor (30 vs AoB's/Phoenix Armor's 40), though it is a bit strange that it was put in an endgame map. (Move Phoenix Armor -> Aura of Fire location, Move Aura of Fire -> Phoenix Armor location?)

Your reward for battling your way through the high-level map is a high spawnchance thanks to the new treasure chest system. You could be running the same map for hours in search of PA and never find it.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
I do agree that the fire and cobra armors have way too much defense. They should give 15% defense or something. There needs to be an obvious dichotomy between vests and armors. I say, take all the vests in the game, nerf the hell out of their defense, and give them some other type of vest specific property. Ideally that property would compliment small arms users.

I don't mind it being in a high level map. I actually feel like it makes the armor slightly more useful since it can be used effectively as trading material.

Also, Tentadrilus makes a good point.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Agree, vests shouldn't give as much def as a plate mail :| Then aura will have some value to me if it doesn't get competition from crappy vests that has been around forever... But 15% is too low, I'd suggest decresing vests to 30% and raising Aura to 45%