Phobia Outpost [Completed]

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
1328966277.png

Phobia Outpost - Last Update 5/3/12

An insecure outpost being seized for control by the Fearless Bandits.

Cat

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Re: Phobia Outpost [WIP]

I like the rebar coming out of the broken walls, makes it look way better

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Yeah... Rebar ain't the most realistic thing in this tech setting, but metal bars in stone is a simple enough concept that, while we didn't see on Earth until pretty late, it's certainly believable that someone coulda invented it earlier elsewhere. Well, that, and we already have it in several maps.

That mattress though... Looks distinctly like a nylon and spring mattress... But I'm just nit-picking... The brushwork and lighting looks beautiful, and the concept sounds interesting. I think your Khaz and Bandits should be hostile to each other by default, so that'll make it easier. I should probably stick in a global flag to make them "spin up" to full think speed for NPCs for the map, or you might see some odd delay behavior. By default, with the exception of hguard faction and player pets/summons, NPC's don't spin up to full think for NPC encounters, unless there's a player nearby - saves some resources on the older, poorly optimized maps, where NPCs often come across other hostile NPCs, and there's no one around to see it.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Make your lights brighter!!!

This might be meant to be dark, but the lights look as if they're just glowing in the dark, hardly casting any light.

From what I can see though this(like Cat's) is an enormous improvement over your previous map. I also like the concept!

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Cat said:
I like the rebar coming out of the broken walls, makes it look way better

Thothie said:
Yeah... Rebar ain't the most realistic thing in this tech setting, but metal bars in stone is a simple enough concept that, while we didn't see on Earth until pretty late, it's certainly believable that someone coulda invented it earlier elsewhere. Well, that, and we already have it in several maps.

That mattress though... Looks distinctly like a nylon and spring mattress... But I'm just nit-picking... The brushwork and lighting looks beautiful, and the concept sounds interesting. I think your Khaz and Bandits should be hostile to each other by default, so that'll make it easier. I should probably stick in a global flag to make them "spin up" to full think speed for NPCs for the map, or you might see some odd delay behavior. By default, with the exception of hguard faction and player pets/summons, NPC's don't spin up to full think for NPC encounters, unless there's a player nearby - saves some resources on the older, poorly optimized maps, where NPCs often come across other hostile NPCs, and there's no one around to see it.

Ah, I'll have to find a different model to use for the mattress then. Thanks for the complimenting words.

jon50559 said:

This might be meant to be dark, but the lights look as if they're just glowing in the dark, hardly casting any light.

From what I can see though this(like Cat's) is an enormous improvement over your previous map. I also like the concept!

I'll make them slightly brighter, FYI your glow is blocked on spawn untill you escape the prison section, and then it will not be blocked anymore when you spawn. And thank you, I hope to make this a lot better than phlames. :wink:

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

How did you block the glow spell???

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

jon50559 said:

Make a brush entity trigger_multiple, and place it where the player can walk through it without avoiding it.

And then to block the glow spell - triggers/glow_block

i5UhS.png

To unblock the glow spell - triggers/glow_unblock

hGegF.png

Then you could remove the brush with a trigger_relay.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

jon50559 said:
That might be his rig, and not the map. There's something about ICM color profiles that cause some screen shots from some systems to come up utterly black for me... These do that. It can't possibly look as dark on his screen (just like, pure black, with dots of orange). Dridje's screen shots always do this to me as well. I just up the gamma on the image - not figured exactly what the issue is yet.

I am a big fan of never having to use glow on a map though. (Must... light... everything...)

jon50559 said:
http://www.thothie.com/ms/!msc_betapack_changelog.txt said:
- triggers/glow_block - Stick this "scriptname" property on a trigger_multi and any player who crosses it will have their glow snuffed out. They'll be unable to use glow again until they cross another trigger brush with the script "triggers/glow_unblock" (or the map changes).

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Two things:

1. I'm trying to create a waterfall / dripping water brush, however, in game it appears to be invisible.
This is what it looks like in Hammer. Any ideas?

2. What is the difference between using an ambient_generic and an env_message when triggering sounds?
And what exactly does the 'Play Everywhere' flag do?
I've read somewhere that when you set it to Play Everywhere, it doesn't matter about the distance but doesn't play equally as loud through everybody's speakers, or something

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Caluminium said:
Two things:

1. I'm trying to create a waterfall / dripping water brush, however, in game it appears to be invisible.
This is what it looks like in Hammer. Any ideas?
Turn off the Smart Edit, check for a zhlt_invisible 1 property - delete if present. If this is the issue, be careful when copying normally non-visible brushes (such as monsterclips) and redefining them. (Looks closer, /feelslikeidiot), and seeing as how you already have done that, keep in mind that you don't need renderamt 255 on a rendermode 0 ent (maybe you meant rendermode 2 or 5?), and that func_conveyors must be painted with scroll textures. Lastly, and probably the most likely issue in this case: !liquid textures will often not render on vertical faces.

Caluminium said:
2. What is the difference between using an ambient_generic and an env_message when triggering sounds?
And what exactly does the 'Play Everywhere' flag do?
I've read somewhere that when you set it to Play Everywhere, it doesn't matter about the distance but doesn't play equally as loud through everybody's speakers, or something
ambient_generic is for sounds that continuously loop - mind you, that they need to fire when the client is in hearing distance to do so. env_message is for one shot sounds. Play Everywhere plays on the "weather" channel to all clients at equal volume, regardless of their distance from the entity. (ie. plays globally)

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

More screenies,

Lighting changes
8kfKd.jpg

The prison cell with pouring water
IuQ8O.jpg

Another angle of the hallway
YkTm6.jpg

More prison cells
drh4k.jpg

Inside the staircase tower
dOjk3.jpg

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

I'm begging you, at least double the brightness!
(When I've checked the thread on my phone the pics were just as dark)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

jon50559 said:
I'm begging you, at least double the brightness!
(When I've checked the thread on my phone the pics were just as dark)

It looks fine to me... o_O
If you make it brighter, don't turn it into a cleicert type of map, LOL. :roll:

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Cleicert is dark now too :?

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

You might want to check out your monitor then... That map isn't dark at all for me...

Hakariaki

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score

The pictures shows up as dark for me aswell. anyways looks allot better in game. happends with all games for me. screen shots turns out allot darker than the actuall ingame settnings. Anyone got a good fix for this?

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

jon50559 said:
Cleicert is dark now too :?

..Which looks alot better

Anyways,

New brightness
1326124423.png

1326124331.jpg

Gullotine :twisted:
1326124406.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Still looks like orange pin-pricks on black to me. (Except "Gullotine", which comes up pure black)

Again, I don't think the actual map lighting is like this - it's something to do with monitor color profiles, me thinks.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Here's those two shots at gamma 1.5:
relight_gamma_x1.5_1.jpg

relight_gamma_x1.5_2.jpg

and the last at 2.0
relight_gamma_x2.0_3.jpg

Someday, I'll figure exactly what causes this gamma inconsistency, and shoot at it with red and blue lasers.
knowing_is_half_the_battle.jpg

Also: Cleicert looks fairly close to the original to me. We didn't have the old compile params, and there was no info_texlights, so I had to "eye" it based on a screenshot though. Wonder if that is related.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Yeah I could tell Cleicert was re-compiled, its wayyy darker than it used to be, someone was with me who could second this.

Semi-dark maps are pissing me off so much, make it f*cking bright enough to see without glow, or make the area dark on purpose. Pick one ffs, might as well add a fog that's the radius of the glow spell in some maps. [/rant]

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

If you cannot see with THAT brightness you must be becoming blind sir.

Anyways, everyone else thinks it's fine, and it's probably a lot easier to see in-game.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Caluminium said:
F*ck the only criticism I've gotten on the map.

Guardian

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Post 10 in a few years.

Ignore this paragraph if you don't want to read something that doesn't relate to the map as it is more of a personal rant.
I agree with lockdown. Nothing is more annoying than digging through my spell book after each death to reapply glow and nearly on every map too. If I had it as a tome it might not be such a big deal. But it's a hassle playing 90% of the maps and needing glow.
Another neat solution would be to make glow persist after death.

Our arguments might not be the exact same, and mine probably isn't even in the right topic, but since it came up here, I replied to it here.

More maps that don't need glow is what we really need. I don't get the trend for 'too-dark' maps.

TL;DR

If it plays on my screen at your original brightness, I just couldn't ever play it. Thothie's brightness could manage though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I prefer not to have to use the glow, for aesthetic reasons, if nothing else. It's also rough on those with weaker graphics cards, in addition to the super-nova level brightness we've added to it over the years (especially when combined with bloom). I can see about lightening Cleicert some more, since it's in the betapack anyways - but are you really finding you need glow on that? Outside, mayhaps, of the shark chamber?

But again, I think these screenshots are darker than the actual in-game images, due to some ICM profile crap or something.

BTW - I do hope those lights with the V-pattern have all the extra little spaces in them filled with CLIP brushes, or you're going to hit your clipnode limit right fast. :)

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
BTW - I do hope those lights with the V-pattern have all the extra little spaces in them filled with CLIP brushes, or you're going to hit your clipnode limit right fast. :)

Done :wink:

Thoughts on these screenshots (I made the lights roughly 2.5x brighter)

Open images in new tab

1326228130.jpg

1326228145.jpg

1326228162.jpg