Quirky Quornhole: An opinionated solo/small party mod for MS:C NOV2015a

spark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey old timers!

Used to play Master Sword with a friend 20 years ago, and have occasionally checked back over the years for nostalgia reasons. We decided to check it out again recently and made some pleasant discoveries. For one, it's open source now! That's great! And some servers have exp bonuses, great! But they're all down, oh... But it's open source, so we can fix that! Great!

So I had a look around the github repos and saw that it was pretty simple to unpack the scripts file from the last NOV2015a release and modify it to our needs, then repack it.

I started out by adding the [FN] server bonus to all servers and fixing item drop player limits, and have over time made some other small, opinionated changes. I apologize if they don't fit everyone's tastes, I just fixed some of the stuff that annoyed me as we've been playing and thought other people might feel like me.

Without further ado I present the Quirky Quornhole version of MSC NOV2015a, full changes below:

1. all [FN] server rewards activated for all servers, none of the restrictions activated (fn servers had some max level limits, couldn't use certain console commands, etc). there is no central character repository like [FN] had, however
2. [FN] exp gain modified to be a flat 4x increase, 8x for bosses (no extra per player)
3. [FN] gold gain per player increased from 25% to 75%
4. item drops that had "minimum player amounts" required have had the limit removed (can drop even for solo players)
5. revised a lot of the random drops so they drop more often (many are now 40% + 20% per extra player, "ARTIFACT" drops are mostly 20% + 10% per extra player). previously this could be anything down to like 0.02% drop chance per player
6. side dodges are completely disabled (who thought these were a good idea after trying them?). back dodge still exists though
7. basic "power attacks" (200% charge) for 2h axes and blunt weapons disabled (they suck and mean you can't hold a charge attack indefinitely, I'm always sad when I unlock them)
8. skeletons cannot respawn more than once, and most skeletons have a respawn chance of 50% (except those that previously had 0% or 100% respawn chance). hate having to sit around killing a bunch of skeletons 4 times

How to install:

1. Install the MSC NOV2015a edition like normally
2. Download zip file attached to this post and copy the sc.dll file inside it to /msc/dlls, overwriting the original sc.dll (back up the original if you want to revert later without reinstalling).
3. If you're playing on a dedicated server, do the same on both the server and the client.
4. Enjoy! It will work with existing characters if you want that.

EDIT: You can find newer versions attached my posts later in this thread; the latest one is from 2023-01-29

Attachments

• sc.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

AoDLeader

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey, I've been playingg this with a friend lately and was wondering where exactly you got the scripts from? Looking to make some more modifications myself.

spark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey, I've been playingg this with a friend lately and was wondering where exactly you got the scripts from? Looking to make some more modifications myself.

Fun! I do warn you that doing this requires programming experience since you'll need to write some of your own tooling. The repos are up on github.com/MSRevive/, though I'm not at all sure the scripts repo, even at its earliest commit, actually corresponds to what is in the NOV2015a release. However, we can avoid this problem by unobfuscating the original sc.dll file (which is not a real dll file, just an obfuscated blob with all the scripts in it). You can look at MasterSwordRebirth/MSShared/GroupFile.cpp to see how the file is "obfuscated" (it's just some bytes shifted around plus a checksum at the end). Optionally you could also actually unpack the file, reversing what MasterSwordRebirth/utils/scriptpack/packer.cpp does, but I skipped this and just modify the unobfuscated sc.dll (being careful to NOT to modify the length of any of the packed script files, as this would mess up the headers) then re-obfuscate it.

Good luck to you if you attempt this!

spark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I've also played a bit since making my original post, and have found new things to annoy me, and therefore new things to change! A new sc.dll is attached, with full changes below (new changes in bold):

1. all [FN] server rewards activated for all servers, none of the restrictions activated (fn servers had some max level limits, couldn't use certain console commands, etc). there is no central character repository like [FN] had, however
2. [FN] exp gain modified to be a flat 4x increase, 8x for bosses (no extra per player)
4. item drops that had "minimum player amounts" required have had the limit removed (can drop even for solo players)
5. revised a lot of the random drops so they drop more often (many are now 40% + 20% per extra player, "ARTIFACT" drops are mostly 20% + 10% per extra player). previously this could be anything down to like 0.02% drop chance per player
6. side dodges are completely disabled (who thought these were a good idea after trying them?). back dodge still exists though
7. basic "power attacks" (200% charge) for 2h axes and blunt weapons disabled (they suck and mean you can't hold a charge attack indefinitely, I'm always sad when I unlock them)
8. skeletons cannot respawn more than once, and most skeletons have a respawn chance of 50% (except those that previously had 0% or 100% respawn chance). hate having to sit around killing a bunch of skeletons 4 times
9. removed the whole shield health thing (effectively all shields are now "immortal")
10. disabled trident power throw (like the axe/blunt power attacks, it's terrible and means you cant hold a charge attack)
11. disabled the hobgoblin lightning shaman cage (permanent cc is bad)
12. disabled the goblin pouncers pounce (permanent cc is bad)
13. disabled the drunk effect (mainly so the poison doesn't apply it, it's annoying)

Attachments

• sc 2023-01-27.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 3

spark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers, they helped a lot in making a proper tool to decrypt, unpack, pack and encrypt the script bundles.

Glad I could help! I ended up having to do the last part (unpacking and repacking into/from individual files) myself as well, as I found myself making more changes than I first anticipated.

spark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I found while playing this weekend that I messed up some stuff in the last version, e.g. lightning cage/drunk/pounce didn't get properly disabled; should work better now. I also made some more unrelated changes.

A new sc.dll is attached, with full changes below (new changes in bold):

9. removed the whole shield health thing (effectively all shields are now "immortal")
10. disabled trident power throw (like the axe/blunt power attacks, it's terrible and means you cant hold a charge attack)
11. disabled the hobgoblin lightning shaman cage (permanent cc is bad)
12. disabled the goblin pouncers pounce (permanent cc is bad)
13. disabled the drunk effect (mainly so the poison doesn't apply it, it's annoying)
14. reduced weight of arrows and bolts to 0
15. spells no longer "fizzle out" after a while; once you pull out a spell, it'll be usable until you actively put it away
16. casting rejuvenate on self now also scales with maxhp (4%, compared to 10% when casting on others)
17. removed drunk effect when electrocuted
18. removed or lessened some of the maxhp/totalhp checks

Attachments

• sc 2023-01-29.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 8

Xaymar

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Glad I could help! I ended up having to do the last part (unpacking and repacking into/from individual files) myself as well, as I found myself making more changes than I first anticipated.
If you don't already have a tool, I've published my tools on github: github(dot)com/Xaymar/hl1-mastersword