Random stuff

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Inventory related:

Potion stacking: Eg. If you have 5 warmth pots in your inventory, it would only show one warmth potion, with quantity: 5 when highlighted. You'd still be able to separate them by taking them out of your bag. The first potion grabbed if it has multiple swigs like Mana or weak/medium Health potions is the emptiest.

Potion container: Carries potions only, so you don't have to sift through your inventory.

Swigs remaining: Any potion that can have multiple swigs should display their current fullness in the HUD when you take them out, not just when you drink them. Same applies to other items with limited uses/charges.

Spell related:

Casting: If you cast a spell and the duration runs out mid-cast, mana should either be refunded, or the spell effect should be produced. Currently, it just fizzles and takes away your mana. Same happens when too many monsters are present during summoning/too many fx are present for a volcano/firewall to be summoned.

Monster related:

Anti-stuck feature: Monster spawns should not be blocked by some things that they are right now, like Orion Bow, or any magical circle.

Secondary attacks: Some monsters seem to persistently target the same player with secondary attacks like weapon throws, lightning, or lasers of dewm despite the player not being their main target, even if they are behind several walls/too far for the monster to see them. Should periodically swap to their main target, especially if others are not in view.

Edit2: Some stuff added, decided to cut and paste it to a new post.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
Keldorn said:
Inventory related:

Potion stacking: Eg. If you have 5 warmth pots in your inventory, it would only show one warmth potion, with quantity: 5 when highlighted. You'd still be able separate them by taking them out of your bag. The first potion grabbed if it has multiple swigs like Mana or weak/medium Health potions is the emptiest.

Potion container: Carries potions only, so you don't have to sift through your inventory

yes and holy crap yes.

good idea.. it sucks hitting 3 > boh > scroll down > scroll more cus u have so much crap in boh > mana pot.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The stacking system requires an item that uses ammo... But drinks can be made to have multiple uses with the quality property. MiB did mention something about making drinks alter their quality levels, and thus stack, as arrows do. Not sure how intuitive that is, but might be doable at this point (also would cut down on overflows, if encourage alcoholism). ;)

Potion container is doable... Not sure what to call it though.

Casting: If you cast a spell and the duration runs out mid-cast, mana should either be refunded, or the spell effect should be produced. Currently, it just fizzles and takes away your mana. Same happens when too many monsters are present during summoning/too many fx are present for a volcano/firewall to be summoned.
Shouldn't be eating mana unless you actually cast it. :\ The FX limiting system is *supposed* to let you still cast the spell, but you can't see where it is. I think some spells are not doing this correctly.

Anti-stuck feature: Monster spawns should not be blocked by some things that they are right now, like Orion Bow, or any magical circle.
Not sure how to arrange this without risking them getting stuck in other things... Wish we had a code side anti-stuck system for spawns. I think MiB attempted that once upon a time, but couldn't get the collision boxes to detect proper.

Secondary attacks: Some monsters seem to persistently target the same player with secondary attacks like weapon throws, lightning, or lasers of dewm despite the player not being their main target, even if they are behind several walls/too far for the monster to see them. Should periodically swap to their main target, especially if others are not in view.
Might need to name specific monsters here. Some monsters are smart enough to do this, even among those designed to be "single-minded" on a single target. Trixtie bit with that is, however, if another player or monster steps between a monster and its target, it suddenly can't "see" its target, and thus switch targets more often than it should.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Decided to make this a new post.

Will try to list odd monster behavior later.

Weapon related:

Arrows/Bolts: Indicator for how many arrows/bolts you have left in the HUD. Right click with a bow or crossbow.

MiB said:
Finished a system to make arrows/bolts selectable via the same interface as tomes and weapons. Choose an arrow/bolt and, assuming you aren't trying to fire a bolt out of a bow, it will use that stack of arrows. If you run out, it goes back to normal mode (using the first available ammo until you get back to wal-mart arrows), or you can reselect what arrow you want to use. You can also choose to use the infinite generic ammo.

Small refinement to arrow/bolt selection: (Insertkeyhere restricts what you scroll through if you have the proper weapon type out. Insertkeyhere with a Thornbow would shift between arrow types while announcing both arrow type, and quantity left. Insertkeyhere with a Heavy Crossbow would shift between bolts in the same fashion. If you use Insertkeyhere with a non-ammo using weapon for some reason you can change between both. This way, you don't have to fumble with bolts if you're trying to use a bow, or arrows if you're trying to use a crossbow.)

General Gameplay:

Option to disable scrolling health/mana bars, at least for the numerical portion: At higher stages of the game, players gain and lose extremely large amounts of life in very small amounts of time. Disabling the scrolling feature would just show your true health when you get hit/healed instantly, so you don't have to wait until your health indicator catches up to the accurate value.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Option to disable scrolling health/mana bars, at least for the numerical portion: At higher stages of the game, players gain and lose extremely large amounts of life in very small amounts of time. Disabling the scrolling feature would just show your true health when you get hit/healed instantly, so you don't have to wait until your health indicator catches up to the accurate value.
I tried to do this once upon a time and failed. What I did manage to do, was make it so the bar races based on percentage, so it'd reach the actual levels fairly quickly. It used to be that even 100 health or mana would take well over a minute to count up or down to. Sadly, I think this fix also lead to the health bars vanishing, but I'm not sure, as the HUD sprite scramble issue, which seems to be related, was already there.

In the next patch (or the next client patch rather) it's going to be that the health and mana bars are only going to update every 0.5 seconds though, which may make things a tad worse, rather than better. This is to cut down on the lag multiple updates from the server to the client in regards to health/mana changes cause, and, hopefully, make a rapid spell system more viable.

Small refinement to arrow/bolt selection
I think MiB mentioned something about having it scroll only bolts or arrows when a projectile weapon of the appropriate type was in hand.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How about empty bottle we can fill with mana/hp. Could come in different sizes

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Might need to name specific monsters here. Some monsters are smart enough to do this, even among those designed to be "single-minded" on a single target. Trixtie bit with that is, however, if another player or monster steps between a monster and its target, it suddenly can't "see" its target, and thus switch targets more often than it should.

The Tork Assassins in the_wall will throw their knives and save their kicks for me every time... they will be surrounded by 3 guys and they choose me :(

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Potion stacking:
We can add the Stackable option to potions and add to the Stacking code that they must be of the same quality. Only probably is the naming (3 3 Strong Healing Potions ?). I'd also have to adjust the code to allow taking only one out.

Anti-Stuck:
I've not done anything code side, but I probably could give it a whirl.. Think I can get it set up to check the spawn-spot of a monster and, using width/height, choose a new random location every 0.5 seconds or so until it finds a doable one.

Arrows:
They already display how many you have on the selection. I've set it up so that when you've selected one, it'll tell you when you fire your last one. I can probably set it up to not show you arrows with bows and bolts with crossbows.

Health Sprite:
I can set it up to not scroll, probably. ms_nohudscroll or something. Thoth, the health/mana every 0.5 seconds thing doesn't affect scrolling. Server tells the client the current health/mana and the client scrolls it if necessary.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Keldorn said:

The following monsters are the biggest offenders:

Any monster/boss that can summon monsters next to a player (Goblin fire shaman, Vile Goblin Chieftain, forgot if there were any more. Random wallhax.)

Mummy Guardians (Spear throws always target the same person)

Torkalath Assassin (Engages other targets, only to randomly jump into the air and plant a dagger in the neck of the unlucky bastard that she first engaged. It's actually kind of funny.)

Torkalath Novice
(Wallhax orb of dewm, usually doesn't swap targets until the target is dead, even if target is behind two walls while other enemies are meleeing him.)

Runegahr (Same as above with blood drinker throw, except without the wallhax. Also, is it just me or does Runegahr seem shorter in Shad_Palace? Must just be the juggernauts making him look tiny.)

The Pharaoh of Storms
(if he is put in a hole.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Keldorn said:
Keldorn said:

The following monsters are the biggest offenders:

Any monster/boss that can summon monsters next to a player (Goblin fire shaman, Vile Goblin Chieftain, forgot if there were any more. Random wallhax.)

Mummy Guardians (Spear throws always target the same person)

Torkalath Assassin (Engages other targets, only to randomly jump into the air and plant a dagger in the neck of the unlucky bastard that she first engaged. It's actually kind of funny.)

Torkalath Novice
(Wallhax orb of dewm, usually doesn't swap targets until the target is dead, even if target is behind two walls while other enemies are meleeing him.)

Runegahr (Same as above with blood drinker throw, except without the wallhax. Also, is it just me or does Runegahr seem shorter in Shad_Palace? Must just be the juggernauts making him look tiny.)

The Pharaoh of Storms
(if he is put in a hole.)

On the Mummy with the paralyzing spear, and on the Torkie Mage, that is as intended, to encourage team play, and also due to how devastating they'd be with a full retaliation ability. Dunno what's going on with the Torkie Assassin though. :\ Runegahr should also always toss the sword as his active target (I think - might be random, have to check), but once it's in the air, it won't switch targets unless death is involved (much like the player variant).

Summoning monsters has always been a sticky bit, really don't have a reliable "there ain't nothing in this box" function.