Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wierd...maybe its only temporary

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Dont worry Lanethan, he said "mainly" :p Though i honestly think that the having to be there instead of voting or consoling holds more RPG value so :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tradion said:
Dont worry Lanethan, he said "mainly" :p Though i honestly think that the having to be there instead of voting or consoling holds more RPG value so :p
As I've always said, I'm all for that (with the obvious exception of disconnected maps). The only thing I've advocated so strongly for (and indeed, I think one of the earliest epic threads in these forums contains one of those early debates), is that players be able to JOIN any map that is in progress, at any time. Otherwise, lest you have a neigh infinite number of servers, it's very difficult to keep the game populated. (Hence my addition of the, msvote_map_type "root" option.)

...and I wouldn't even say "mainly". There's only one that I have any venom for, who nearly ended the mod with his own little pranks, and he's, needless to say, long gone. Though sadly, I fear, some of his spirit lives on in at least one the new generation of devs.

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
And i'm not saying that its a bad thing, but its the time if you look at it. Back when this game was first being made the focus was around a straight up RPG style game, and the main thought was "hey, you should have to travel to where your going, not just 'be there' yadda yadda" Over time things change ya know, not saying its less of a rpg, and i'm not saying it was un-necessary. And if i recall right, you made it so that votes and suchnot could be turned off so

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Tradion said:
As I've always said, I'm all for that (with the obvious exception of disconnected maps). The only thing I've advocated so strongly for (and indeed, I think one of the earliest epic threads in these forums contains one of those early debates), is that players be able to JOIN any map that is in progress, at any time. Otherwise, lest you have a neigh infinite number of servers, it's very difficult to keep the game populated. (Hence my addition of the, msvote_map_type "root" option.)

...and I wouldn't even say "mainly". There's only one that I have any venom for, who nearly ended the mod with his own little pranks, and he's, needless to say, long gone. Though sadly, I fear, some of his spirit lives on in at least one the new generation of devs.

Who? Black ops?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Lanethan, I was targeting the people who thought it was a great idea to kill the mod by implementing that zero-thought "you can not spawn here" system and I assumed you never were part of that.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I was very much a part of that. And there was a LOT of thought that went into how that system would eventually work. To this day I still say its a better idea, from an RPG purists perspective (read the other posts in this thread, they have the right idea), but of course it doesn't work out from a practical perspective due to low server count. If this game were as popular as we would have liked in the first place, the idea was that there would be official servers running each of the maps dedicated, so you could theoretically join one of those.

tl;dr: Just because the system didn't work didn't mean that it wouldn't have if things had gone better for the mod.

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I totally agree (if you're talking about having to walk from map to map). When I used to play years ago, that actually made the game a lot more fun. It was an adventure. You could really feel the pieces of the world coming together.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just setup your server with the cvar msvote_map_type "root" and folks are, more or less, forced into that experience (can only vote for Edana, Deralia, and disconnected maps.)

The old way, you couldn't even JOIN a server, lest it was on Edana or Deralia of course, so even if you had a sever for every map, it wouldn't do ye any good (plus you'd need around 50 of em now, vs. the 11 then).

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If anyone could re-upload the file I would appreciate it, seems that I have lost it.
Its a nice sandbox to test files, I wish Thothie would release an up to date sandbox though so we could test current scripts.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
link deleted =( the entire second page is missing =( found a link else where. sorry for necro post.