Steath System

decon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know we do not need anymore ideas for MS:S and that at least one Lua coder will write their scuicide note after reading this but:

I noticed that there is little point in being a rouge in MS:C (feel free to contradict) due to the fact that when you do not want to be seen you are when your torch is put away and you are crouched standing still. Well I was simply hoping that something could be implemented so that a player can crouch down and, if in a dark place, hide. This does not have to be limited to rouges, it would simply be advantagous in some ways for them.

Please don't remind me about my previous post about breaking away from the standars of rpg's. This is an aspect that I like in most of them.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It's not really a tough thing to pull off, even in the current MS:C ;-)

EDIT: I should clarify.. Making the monsters not see you is easy enough.. Thothie has problems with setting player skins, though..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I hereby fire our resident Grammar Nazi.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Oh f*ck.. What did I do this time?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man in Black? Failure at ellipses.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not one comment on "Steath" - with Nazi's like you, the Anne Franke's of the world can sleep peacefully! Fo shame.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Not one comment on "Steath" - with Nazi's like you, the Anne Franke's of the world can sleep peacefully! Fo shame.

Well, Thothie, if you'd like me to go back to how I used to be (flaming everyone for every stupid comment and grammar mistake), I can, but I don't think you or anyone else would like that. Whaddya say, gray panther?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, take the tag off and give it to Crazymonkey, who at least caught "Rouge" ... Although, tis true, Nazi's can't be gay... Unless they're in the closet... Then again, I've seen a lot of gay leather-clad nazi's in the goth clubs over the years, so yeah, maybe he can have it. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, take the tag off and give it to Crazymonkey, who at least caught "Rouge" ... Although, tis true, Nazis can't be gay... Unless they're in the closet... Then again, I've seen a lot of gay, leather-clad nazi's in the goth clubs over the years, so yeah, maybe he can have it. ;)

Satisfied?

Caught != Call attention to ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh - didn't even point out the sentence fragments. :p

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
decon said:
Well I was simply hoping that something could be implemented so that a player can crouch down and, if in a dark place, hide.

The only light detection is done client side, which is obviously a bad thing to use. You could rig up an 'area of effect' script/code that mappers place, but it would always be 'on'. Hmm.. Maybe have it check for players/npcs using light/torches within a certain range of the player and make them alpha/transparent with some inverse distance?

Red Dragon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I remember a stealth system back in the day.

in 1.0 or 1.01 or something.
I think >.>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Drigien said:
decon said:
Well I was simply hoping that something could be implemented so that a player can crouch down and, if in a dark place, hide.

The only light detection is done client side, which is obviously a bad thing to use. You could rig up an 'area of effect' script/code that mappers place, but it would always be 'on'. Hmm.. Maybe have it check for players/npcs using light/torches within a certain range of the player and make them alpha/transparent with some inverse distance?

There was a guide in the old VERC system on how to achieve this that maybe still viable. I do think it involved defining light levels via brush entities though - which maybe bad, as I understand it, you can hit the max on active trigger entities in HL2 very quickly. (Tis why FF's hunted doesn't have %l locators)

Old VERC article yonder:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.p ... 9-33776100

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How about some stealth like the spy in TFC, where you can play dead and stabing people in the back deals double damage?

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
stop necro posting >_>

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
you didn't see the last post was from october 17th? The least you could have done was post something relevant to the topic...