jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Well, if you're any mapper worth your salt, you know and use what's known as ZHLT (Zoner's Half-Life Tools) to compile maps. On the Sven Co-op forums some people got together and improved these tools, expanding some of Half-Life's limits even more. Even if you choose to not use these for some reason, it's worth checking out! All they do is replace your current compiling executables, and must be used with a batch compiler unfortunately. And did I mention it has 64-bit OS support? :D

Linky: http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36733

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ZHLT 3.4 is the current standard for compiling HL1 maps, and includes 64-bit support. Those tools, and many others, are linked in the Mapping Tutorial Thread of TL;DR.

I've not tried playing with these SHLT tools yet though. Off hand, one nice thing I *think* they do, is auto-adjust the require texture memory size - only down side to that is you won't know what texture memory size to use when you use an -onlyents or ripent compile. (I suppose you could use count_ents to figure that out, but I notice it isn't included with this tool set).

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
These tools also increase the leaf size 4x, to 32768. And apparently RAD compiles tons more quickly.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
These tools also increase the leaf size 4x, to 32768. And apparently RAD compiles tons more quickly.

Ooooh? I'll have to check it out then

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, been using these for awhile now. They're pretty sweet... *Once* in a great while they do something funky, or do the vis leafs more poorly than the classic ZHLT, but usually they do a sweet job. They seem to auto-compensate for some things too, like texture memory, which saves work, and have much better error feedback.

Hrmm... Wonder if there's a version newer than 3.9 floating about. :\

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Hey, neat I had no idea you made this your regular compiler :D I still use this instead of ZHLT everyday.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
Hey, neat I had no idea you made this your regular compiler :D I still use this instead of ZHLT everyday.

I'm shocked by how it halved my final compile time on my big map hehe
Quite impressive