Swords are lacking?

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score
I think I can agree with alot of people that swords are really bad compared to other weapons. Not only do they lack in DPS, but they're also absolutely ridiculous to obtain, such as the Felewyn Shard, Unholy Blade, and Blood Blades (took me 40 runs of nashalrath with 6+ people to obtain two... this is the only "decent" thing that drops from nashalrath that isn't intended for level 12 players. Strange that granite maces, skullblades, resist fire/cold and etc drop from the hardest map in the game)

In my opinion, swords really seem like they need a buff. A lot of people think blood blades are the best swords, but personally, I feel like the Unholy Blade is, although the only real way to LEGITIMATELY obtain it is to donate (isn't that a thing?) A lot of people would disagree, but the Unholy Blade does roughly the same DPS as blood blades, maybe slightly less (this is if you're charging it up without using the second charge) The 50% damage reduction from the unholy aura is pretty good against bosses who can't be pushed, and the passive block it has is also pretty great. It makes up for not having lifesteal on basic attacks, but the fact that the charge attack takes like 10 seconds, and basically halves your DPS is awful.

Apparently, the Felewyn Shard is being turned into the Holy Blade next patch with some huge improvements, so that may change things up a bit. I just find it ironic that the game is named Master Sword, even though swords just seem outplayed and clunky. It feels like, compared to other weapons, they bring almost nothing to the table, and this is if you even have a high level sword. I'd be happy if the current Felewyn Shard model went into making a generic, high-level sword that just does flat out damage.

I think Swords are trying to become some sort of hybrid between damage and defense... which is good, but there should be alternatives to it. The only sword I can think of that I use regularly is the hoarfrost, it's one of the best utility weapons in the game.

By the way, does MS:C have an IRC channel? if not, Thothie should get one going. I'd idle in it all day myself, and I'm sure a bunch of other people would. Might actually improve the level of communication between the community.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Heh, you've been around long enough to remember that long stretch when swords dominated everything, hands down. ;)

We've plenty of goofy looking swords in the model database - modelers love to make swords, cuz they are just about the easiest thing to do - tis why they dominated for so long. The Felewyn Shard replacement will be a major part of the buffs coming in for that weapon line in the pipe.

We used to have an IRC channel, ages ago, but SFAIK, no one is maintaining one currently. Might be a good idea for getting players together in real time, for those so inclined.

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Heh, you've been around long enough to remember that long stretch when swords dominated everything, hands down. ;)

Unfortunately, I never got to see the glory days of the Blood Drinker. From what I've heard, it was the stronkest weapon in the game at some point. But yeah, Hoarfrost Shard and Greater Ice Blade all the way, haha

Thothie said:
Might be a good idea for getting players together in real time, for those so inclined.

or developers ;)

I know how much you love your privacy, but it would probably help a lot with developer - community interaction (among other things)

Rizon should hide all of your personal info (IP) from everyone but operators. I guess I could start an IRC channel and make a guide on how to connect, as well as download/setup HexChat

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I noticed #msremake on I think irc.gamesurge.net is still active with bots and dRkiLL in it.