The votemap vote...

Change the votemap system so you have to touch a transition

• Yeah! Now maybe those who reach Gatecity might actually know how to get there!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! That'd mean I have to walk... I've got blisters, man!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Democracy now! vs. Rapid map hopping

Alright, so I got the guys at AMX to add a forward to their VexDUM for me, combine that with the control I've over the scripts now, and I can do a wee something... I can make AMX tell when you've touched a transition, and decipher which map the transition goes to.

This means, I can give a player an option to start a vote for a specific map when he touches a transition.

This means, no more need for 'adjacent map' voteing...

...which would mean you would actually have to learn where those bloody transitions are.

I'd still let you vote for root towns (Deralia, Helena, Edana) and the custom maps. But it'd mean no more rapid-warping from area to area. You would have to walk and touch a transition and start a vote for the adjacent map.

It'd also mean you could vote for transitions in custom maps. ie. If you touched the transition from ww1 to ww2b - you could vote for ww2b.

So... Rather than just "springing" that on you, I thought I'd start a vote and see whatchya'll thought. (Readies fire extinguisher)

forum_flames.gif

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i think thoth had a lil too much fun with this topic haha :oldlol:

oh, and congrats thothie for figuring out how to do it :wink:
haha time to collect waypoints like in diablo2 =P

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
why not just get rid of the gay votemap and go to transitions like normal ?

other than that , yea i like that alot better.

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If it didn't require 15 minutes of arguing who is going to stay and do it then yea.

Otherwise I like the idea of having to be at the transition.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
voting has to stay active or some AFK (or just stupid) dude could keep us from moving (happened quite often on servers without a voting system) but it would be useless if ALL the players have to be in the transition zone to start a vote.

I'm all for, I wanna PLAY the game, not just warp to yet another farming spot!

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just ONE player has to reach the transition to start a vote.

In addition to the sit around and debate who's gonna log factor - there's the fact that my server gets crashed an average of 10 times a day by people who just try to transition anyways.

...if not for the transition bugs, I wouldn't have made the map vote system to begin with.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Just ONE player has to reach the transition to start a vote.

In addition to the sit around and debate who's gonna log factor - there's the fact that my server gets crashed an average of 10 times a day by people who just try to transition anyways.

...if not for the transition bugs, I wouldn't have made the map vote system to begin with.

thothie , u should just try this new Votemap thing it sounds so much better than what we have ne ways... it still requires atleast 1 person in the game to find the transition. so people in a sence still have to play the game to get places.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, a slight hang up in Jester's ability to compile has put a dent in this plan. I *can* set it up without a new MS.DLL - but *if* I do it that way, I'd have to ripent EVERY map, and that's just going to be a pain - so it'll be a long while before I get to it. While if Jester can figure out the compile issue, we'll be able to do this on every map, without any need for edits.

Meanwhile, I do have a long awaited edit for the AMX voting system:

http://www.thothie.com/ms/adminvote.amx

This will allow people to vote "NO!"

Downside is, atm, it's kind of the opposite extreme. If ANYONE votes no, the map vote will not go through. I'll fix this, eventually...

Stick that in your msc/addons/amx/plugins folder, overwriting the existing file. (If it doesn't overwrite anything, it's in the wrong place). ;)

PS. Oh yeah, this also allows voting for Calruin2.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i dont really like votemap...it lets people warp around all willy nilly...and my server will never have it...

the only things that *I* think should be on it are the starts points of custom map series, and edana.

but making them touch a transition is better i guess...

RED

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I say make every person touch the point in order to votemap. The only reason I have votemap on my server is because it crashes when people ignorant of the multi-person map change crash decide to change the map the old way.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's one other reason: AFK's.

It's way too hard to get everyone to a transition point - paticularly on larger servers, so, while I might require 50% - I wouldn't require all.

...although, until I get a recompile - the only way I can implement it is with all, lest I go into the serious ripenting - and I just don't have the time between the scripts and Helena2.