vista

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i feel bad about what I've done.

desktop.gif

Now I need to figure out things that are compatible with it and such.

But now, the real question... did I cave and buy it? Or..

am I a pirate, arrr?

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
What have you done...

Vista with 512 RAM, oh god.

If you love to lag, go for it, otherwise get XP N-O-W.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lag?

Vista is running considerably faster than XP used to on this computer.

You're forgetting RAM is not the only aspect of a computer..

Also, I still have my original Dell-crap-XP reinstall CD if I ever need it (yeah, right.)

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
You do realize that RAM is one of the more important aspects of a computer, without a reasonable amount of RAM everything gets spooled to the HDD which is ridiculously slower compared to the speed of even SDRAM. Not to mention it will shorten the life span of the HDD.

Either get a gig of memory or switch back to XP.

Also Vista running faster on your computer compared to the reinstall disk from Dell, well duh Dell reinstall disks also install crap ware and other things. You need to get a copy of a plain XP disk, of course make sure its the professional and if possible the corporate version (doesn't need to registered to be used). I think you will find it runs even faster than Vista.

keeper03

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Even XP should have a gig... I can't imagine how horrible vista would be with 512. >.>

Jeremiah

New Adventurer
Reaction score
you can't tell me vista is running fine with just 512mb. maybe i say MAYBE when your browing just arround vista but open up winamp or media player whatever, browse the internet while downloading something and have messengers running will be no fun at all i say...

and playing an modern game or at least a game came out the last years will also be no fun since vista will pull too much performance for itself...

win XP professionell sp2 corparate IS the better choice fo a system like that. don't let yourself be fooled by the shiney new look of vista and the "easy feeling" of it.

just get a download a tool for vista aero look to xp or something, looks same - needs less perormance. i think one of em is called vystal or something.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I've seen it run fine on that much memory, a slower processor, and some shitty on board Intel GPU. It's all about configuring Vista right for your system, and realizing that even though it says lots of RAM is being used, it's actually just caching programs you use frequently that aren't running for faster access.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well my computer must be going against all of your logic because its running quite fine with 512mb.

Jeremiah said:
you can't tell me vista is running fine with just 512mb. maybe i say MAYBE when your browing just arround vista but open up winamp or media player whatever, browse the internet while downloading something and have messengers running will be no fun at all i say...

and playing an modern game or at least a game came out the last years will also be no fun since vista will pull too much performance for itself...

win XP professionell sp2 corparate IS the better choice fo a system like that. don't let yourself be fooled by the shiney new look of vista and the "easy feeling" of it.

just get a download a tool for vista aero look to xp or something, looks same - needs less perormance. i think one of em is called vystal or something.

1. I've downloaded a file off a FTP website with over a MB/s so, thats wrong.

2. I played SA:MP just fine.

3. I like the look/fuction of vista.

4. I actually used one of those. Funny really, after I started using it, my performance was cut in half and I started getting some weird popups and other viruses.

5. before hand, I had Win SP2 Pro and it was a piece of junk, full of dellware, not to mention the 5+ other CDS I had to install with it to reinstall drives, and the fact it wouldn't activate even though I had a legal copy and was entering the right key. see. thing is, the first time I logged onto vista, it installed all of the correct drives while I was looking around what it had. When I had XP, I dont even think the right drivers were on the right disks. (when I installed my audio driver on XP... you don't even wanna know)

6. I've opened winamp/media player just fine.

7. IE opens just fine, i'm not gonna install firefox yet because IE is.. working for once.

8. XP after a while will no longer truly be updated by MS. It won't have any more major updates anymore unless something really terrible happens. They're going to be focusing most effort onto Vista, now that they have like 4 versions of it.

9. Ultimate has new extras you can download that other versions can't ( :D ), like DreamScene (which I don't think I'm gonna use yet.) Hold em' Poker (fun!)

10. new minesweeper.

Jeremiah

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i sense a disturbance in the force...i'm afraid you've fallen to the dark side...

i'm guess you didn't fully understand what i ment (probably due to my lack in the skill explaing stuff to people). by now XP Prof. SP2. IS by far superior to Vista in all it's form of evil, evil home, evil premium, or the ultimate evil.

everyone with decent knowledge of computer related stuff knows that. i'm not flaming vista, XP was the exact same thing when it came out, now it is a reliable and powerful operating system.

vista just has to get to that point then i'm swithcin too. directx10 is no reason for me to switch nor is the visual (tho very appealing) style of vista. and yeah i believe you can run all those programs on vista just fine.

if as you have said altered vista setup to you system specs wich probably is aero of, animations off and all the other funs tuff wich makes vista look nice turned down.

i mean seriously if i got vista ultimate i want it at it's max. it's friggin ultimate isn't it?
vista WILL be very good OS when the first and second SP wil come out.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I said I had aero and all of those things on yet my computer runs fine.

I don't see any evil behind a working computer.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I would still suggest getting a gig of memory at a minimum for Vista... as for setting up Vista to run better, that can be achieved in XP as well and you get even more performance.

The only reason to get vista is for DX10, there are government branches that refuse to upgrade to vista because of some serious issues that can come about using it. The Navy for example won't use it, specially on any ships, turns out vista just flat out restarts if anything happens to the video drivers.

but hey its your computer, so any issues that arise you will have to deal with.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd recommend 2gigs for Vista (and indeed, so does Microsoft)... I got an Athlon Turion X2 TL-58 on this 1GB laptop, and it's just barely handling it. I stuck on the sidebar CPU meter, and it spends most of its time in the red zone. HL2 load times are intollerable.

I've managed to dual boot the puppy to XP, and it just glides there - but I'm still figuring out how to get sound on the XP install. Stupid OS specific laptops...

PS. Don't buy a new pre-built computer and/or laptop with Vista thinking you can downgrade it. The kickbacks the distributors get are sufficient that they rig their systems to be undowngradable these days. Tis especially true of ATI video cards, some of which have drivers omitted in XP (X1200 line, for instance). Tis not like when XP first came out, and everything still had drivers for 98. Granted, no one, aside from Microsoft themselves, was getting money to force us to use XP back then.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I really dont understand the problem - I was running NS, one of the most resource sucking games I have and I had 70 FPS straight on non standard (higher) resolution and max settings. I was also playing GTA : SA and SA : MP fine with no lag at all. Maybe my computer has some secret lephrachaun inside it that makes it work better.